Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorGrowler
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2011

Posted By: legendreHas to be easier to appreciate than the godawful putrid grape juice that everyone seems to fawn over. Blecch!

I only drink grape juice if it's been carefully fermented........
    Venison sausage, packed locally from a whitetail deer shot locally by a local good ol'boy I know. Onions, garlic and red potatoes. I like the sausage a bit dry, so it's got a ways to simmer yet. I'll eat it with some good rough brown bread and some sweet smoky bbq sauce on the side. I'm all out of Tsing Tao, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2011

Damn shame about the ChingDao.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2011

•  
      CommentAuthorlegendre
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2011 edited

Nice burger.

It superficially resembles a Big Mac, but seems to lack the additional intermediate bun section; so just more cheese and lettuce on the bottom, then - or is there a second patty hiding down in there?

FWIW, I'd never be able to eat more than half of that thing.. if even that much. Looks delish, though!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlegendre
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2011

@Al

I'd missed your sausage & spuds fry-up - very simple and folksy, though not lacking in charm. If it were mine, I'd think about throwing in some chopped okra as well.

I've always really enjoyed the venison sausage, but it's been so long that I'm not sure if I remember what it even tastes like! Need to glad-hand a hunter this season, see if I can snag a couple of pounds - nobody I know hunts anymore.
    Lately it's been JackintheBox tacos... 2 for 0.99, plus tax.

It's "purina people chow", meatless soy protein, a sprinkling of lettuce, tomato in the sauce, very high munch value, especially with the extra taco sauce.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVylasni

Posted By: alsetalokinVenison sausage, packed locally from a whitetail deer shot locally by a local good ol'boy I know. Onions, garlic and red potatoes. I like the sausage a bit dry, so it's got a ways to simmer yet. I'll eat it with some good rough brown bread and some sweet smoky bbq sauce on the side. I'm all out of Tsing Tao, though.

Now that's a Manly Meal! :)
    • CommentAuthortinker

Reminds me of Cassoulet - minus the goose. An occasional wintertime treat in France.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLoonyman

I took the Loonykids "Scrumping" for apples when I got home from work tonight. There are many apple trees around here, and it breaks my heart seeing them just rot on the ground.... So we liberated a bag full, fresh of the tree and here we have, fresh out of the oven...

Looks..... scrumptious !!
    Terrific photo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2011 edited

Gravilax. Salmon cured in a Salty Gin, Mustard and Dill marinade. (note the paradox there between cured and marinade - but I'm not sure how else you could describe it). Texture wise it's like smoked salmon but without the smoke. A bit salty at times but the delicate flavour of the salmon somehow survives. Prepare as per below and then slice along the flesh very thinly.

l kg salmon fillet, skin attached
    4 tbsp salt
    4 tbsp castor sugar
    3 teasp English mustard, prepared.
    2 tbsp gin
    large handful fresh dill, roughly chopped.

place salmon, skin side down, into a wide shallow dish that fits the salmon
    snugly.
    Put salt, sugar, mustard and gin into bowl and mix well until a smooth
    texture.
    Spread mixture over the salmon's pink flesh so that is has been totally
    covered.
    Sprinkle the dill onto the paste-covered salmon and pat down.
    Press dill onto the flesh so that no pink flesh from the salmon is visible.
    Turn fish over in the dish so that the skin is facing upwards. Cover the
    dish with one layer of cling film. Press the film down onto the edges of
    the fish before wrapping it round the sides of the dish. Once this has been
    done, repeat the process with more cling film.
    Apply weight to top of fish and put in fridge for two or three days.
    Remove from fridge and brush dill from the salmon.
    Slice as required.

Possibly nicer than ...

Kids delicacy in WWII UK - carrot on a stick.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2011

Mmmm... Love gravilax!
    • CommentAuthorscience
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2011

Mmmm Gravlax. In my opinion tied with pickled salmon as the most tasty fish dish.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Grilled halibut.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: pcstruKids delicacy in WWII UK - carrot on a stick.

Made us the keen-eyed oldsters we are today!

Hell of a lot of chewing for a sweet, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlegendre
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2011 edited

Posted By: DuracellMmmm... Love gravilax!

I don't know where you got that spelling, but yes, it's food of the gods in my book. Been a while since I've had any, but now that Piers has raised the issue, I suppose that needs to change.

My main issue with making it, is that I never have just one shot of akavit (or vodka) handy. Mostly just scotch, bourbon and beer around here..

Speaking of salmon, I did do a salmon 'ho mok' (or hor mok) last week. Had to improvise for such a large steamer, and it cost me, as the steam precipitating on the lid was found to be dripping into the cooking dishes. The flavor and consistency were fine; if I can work out a better cooking arrangement, it will be excellent.

Never had it? Here's Ho mok. It's basically a set curry dish, like a curried coconut custard with fish, lime leaf, peppers and herbs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: legendreakavit

Gravlax or gravad lax (Swedish), gravet laks (Danish), gravlaks (Norwegian, Danish), graavilohi (Finnish), graavilõhe (Estonian), graflax (Icelandic)

Says WIki. No "gravilax"

Also akvavit. No "akavit".
    •  
      CommentAuthorlegendre

Posted By: AngusAlso akvavit. No "akavit".

That wasn't unintentional.