Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

I know what that is because I read about it just this morning.

I just need some time to retrieve the memory.

Getting old sucks.

ETA Aha - a supercomplex from the photosynthetic pathway!
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2019

Hint: Chlorophylls are colored green and carotenoids in pink.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2019

•  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2019

• CommentAuthorBigOilRep

If only those stores would stop selling what people want to buy....
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2019 edited

Guns?
    Cannabis?
    Cannabis infused guns? ...
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: BigOilRepIf only those stores would stop selling what people want to buy....

It's interesting that we have become so saturated with capitalist, market driven thinking that this can only be taken as a joke. But seriously: why should a rational society allow the sale of items that are dangerous, damaging and unhealthy? Why should people take it for granted that they can obtain whatever they want if they have the money?
    If only the marketers would stop telling us what to want ...
    Posted By: Angus
    Posted By: BigOilRepIf only those stores would stop selling what people want to buy....

It's interesting that we have become so saturated with capitalist, market driven thinking that this can only be taken as a joke. But seriously: why should a rational society allow the sale of items that are dangerous, damaging and unhealthy? Why should people take it for granted that they can obtain whatever they want if they have the money?

It's a matter of where to draw the line on the slippery slope. After all, even bottled water is dangerous, damaging and unhealthy, and not even by much of a stretch. You could probably even murder someone by stuffing one down his throat, and I've heard that the bottles can make a decent field-expedient silencer for a handgun. So be sure to have your rational society put some kind of rational limits on the sale, possession and use of bottled water. Or just outlaw it, buy it back with amnesty, then do house-to-house sweeps to eliminate all the hidden stashes of the evil, vile, deadly bottled water.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

But draw the line we do. For example since abortion is bad for your soul, many US states are in the process of banning it right now. It is very difficult to obtain quite a few chemical compounds that in a truly free market driven economy would be sold to whomever wants them, and let Darwinism rule.

Our societies are quite capable of coercing people to do what the societies agree they should do. Why not force healthy habits?
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

How far do you want to go? Outlaw production and consumption of tobacco products and distilled spirits?

Revolutions have been started by less.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2019 edited

Posted By: AsterixHow far do you want to go? Outlaw production and consumption of tobacco products and distilled spirits?

Revolutions have been started by less.
    How far do you want to allow it to go? Access to affordable, fresh, safe, nutritious and healthy food shouldn’t be too much for the citizens of any developed nation to expect. The creation of these food deserts / food swamps in large densely populated urban areas exacerbates inequality by disproportionately affecting poorer people who cannot afford to travel far enough to get access to more nutritionally sound produce. An overabundance of availability of cheaper unhealthy alternatives will also disproportionate affect poorer people. So poorer people will end up suffering more health problems in a country that doesn’t provide universal health care. This pushes already poor people even further into more abject and miserable poverty. This in turn creates further poverty driven socioeconomic problems and puts already overburdened and under resourced public services under further strain. Under resourcing them even further by providing unnecessary tax breaks to the wealthier, and therefore healthier, citizens only pushes the inequality envelope ever further.

Grotesque inequality like that is exactly what might start a revolution.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

No argument about food deserts, but how do you get good food into these areas? Businesses are run by and for profit.

Hell, I know several well-off people who have kitchens primarily for display and cooling their beer. They wouldn't know what to do with a vegetable peeler.
    They work fairly well for taking the foil off the Saint-Émilion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

[Fe]Excellent for digging marrow out of beef bones.[/Fe]
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

The central square of many dirt poor towns round the world is an open air market selling fresh produce. Couldn't that somehow be recreated in the desert of central Los Angeles?
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

No, Americans find unprocessed food offensive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2019

That may be the whole problem right there. BTW Americans of the Canadian variety do not have that problem, or not to the same extent.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2019 edited

One of the really nice things about living in and exploring around the Toronto area is the fact of decentralization of those kinds of civic services. Drop yourself down at any random subway station or bus stop and within a short walk you will find restaurants of all grades and ethnicities, markets with fresh produce and meats and deli sections, incredibly well stocked hardware stores, cheap clothing, etc etc.
    Of course in the nether reaches of utter suburbia there are definitely superdoopermarkets, mallwarts and all the other trappings of automobile culture.
    Here where I live one either drives a car to get to the HEB, or eats junk food (and drinks beers) from the local neighborhood "ice house" as we call them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2019

When I was in London recently I thought I could see evidence of something similar. A lot of corner shops selling everything pre-prepared and frozen. Not much real food.