Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2019

Posted By: alsetalokinSeagulls are much more aggressive than pigeons though. I've seen them steal food items from people eating at outdoor tables on the Santa Cruz wharf. I mean right from the plates or even from hands! There are even warning signs.

I've seen similar behavior from Steller's Jays.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2019

I'll feed them if they agree not to sing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2019

Luigi's lemon Italian ice.

Sometimes my wife sees human. Actually brought it to me.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2019

Been eating a lot of cherries and mangoes lately. The mango seeds get pressed into houseplant duty. They thrive in the summertime outside, but need to go indoors for the colder weather.

I figure I'll be set when the US Pacific Northwest develops a tropical climate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2019

Posted By: AsterixBeen eating a lot of cherries and mangoes lately. The mango seeds get pressed into houseplant duty. They thrive in the summertime outside, but need to go indoors for the colder weather.

I figure I'll be set when the US Pacific Northwest develops a tropical climate.

Do you have to do anything special to get the mango seeds to sprout? We have a small cultivar showing up in the stores called "honey mango" that I think I would like to grow if it can be done.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2019 edited

Here's how I do it--and it seems to be pretty successful.

Take the pit and pry it open to release the seed inside (this also works for other stone fruit, such as peaches). Wrap the seed in a wet paper towel, place it in a plastic sandwich bag and seal it tightly. Let germinate in a dark, warm place. After a couple of weeks, you should see both the taproot and the stem sprouting from the seed. Plant the seed lying on its "back" with the sprouted end nearest the surface and the taproot well buried. Use damp, sandy soil with a little bulb fertilizer. I start mine out on a sunny windowsill, then transplant to a pot for outdoors (summer). When the cold weather arrives, they'll come inside.

The speed at which these things grow is pretty startling.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2019 edited

Thanks, I'll give it a try. Any luck with the cherries?
    And how cold is "cold"? It doesn't actually freeze where you live, does it?
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2019

Oh, on occasion it does indeed freeze. Last year, on the first day of spring, we got three feet of snow. I take the trees in when we start looking at consistent nighttime temps below 50F. I've wondered if you can bury them in the ground during winter, like you'd do with fig trees.

Around here, the cherries pretty much seed themselves--although you probably won't get much more than blueberry-sized cherries from seed. Turkey, jay and raccoon food. Like apples, a producing cherry is usually the product of grafting a scion to a different rootstock. On the other hand, they're pretty when they bloom in spring and when the leaves turn colors in autumn.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2019

Decided to go Sephardic tonight:

Spinach, cheese, chickpea casserole. I added some mushrooms. A very nice late dinner dish; the allspice adds an interesting touch.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2019

I've finally mastered the pizza from scratch. What I like about cooking is the direct, instant gratification. Yum!
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

I've been following r/pizza so that every day, without weighing out a single gram of flour, I feel ever further from Pizza mastery.
    I just order Domino's.

Years ago when I was but a child, a genuine family from Naples opened a pizza parlour in our neighborhood. Colonna's Pizzaria Napolitana. He imported his olive oil and tomato paste from Italy. I remember when they first opened, a 12 inch mozzarella pizza cost 80 cents. That didn't last long though. About a month after opening he had to raise his price for the basic cheese pizza to one dollar.

Domino's is the commercial pizza maker whose product is closest, in my mind, to the genuine pizza from Colonna's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Where did you learn to spell it as "parlour". ? Or is that part of the Deep Cover?
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2019 edited

Just come back from a week in Sicily - only ate seafood and pizza. It all lived up to expectations.

Of course you must read the Inspector Montalbano books while you are there to whet your appetite. Nice to have a fictional detective who isn't tortured by alcoholism or nihilistic impulses, but by where he will get his next grilled baby octopus.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2019 edited

Posted By: pcstruI've been followingr/pizzaso that every day, without weighing out a single gram of flour, I feel ever further from Pizza mastery.

My recipe is pretty simple: 80ml of water per pizza. Add yeast and some flour and let it sit. Add more flour and the salt and repeat and stir until the dough separates itself from the bowl.Put the dough on a flat surface and knead it some more.

Let it rot some more. Now is a good time to preheat the oven.

(the rest of the process will be posted next week but if you like and subscribe and patronize me and click them amazon referrer urls hard enough you may be allowed to see it sooner)

(also, don't read r/pizza or other so called social media at all, it is even worse than being inside the muletarp)
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

• CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTime5 days ago

I watched a Japanese cooking show today that featured two (apparently) popular Japanese dishes.

The first was a spaghetti dish--sort of a pasta primavera; no cheese and no olive oil.

The second was scallops au gratin. Béchamel sauce and cheese as one might expect.

Who'da thunk that Japan was a place to get pasta? I do know that Ethiopia does have some pasta dishes as well, but that goes back to their Italian colonial occupation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTime5 days ago

I always understood that pasta was a Chinese dish brought back to Italy by the trade that Marco Polo started.
    A chocolate bar. Why do you ask?