Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2011

Seems way too complicated with everything pushing to every device and of course, Mr. Jobs reassures us that "it all just works". Yah shoore.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/hardware/mac/229900132
    I'm going to form a new secular religion. It will be called "Congregation of Latter-Day Luddites" and members will have to drop their cellphones in a barrel of consecrated water at the entrances of the meetingplaces. In order to rise to Bishopricky in the CLDL, one must renounce all information-processing and communication devices other than the slide rule and the pencil, the manual typewriter and the bicycle. The Heirophant of the CLDL is of course yours truly, and our awaited Messiah, when he comes, will be known by his poverty, humility, and lack of Facebook friends.
    • CommentAuthorenginerd

Seems like a lonely religion. I will see your CLDL's and raise you with the CEPEG (Church of Every Possible Electronic Gadget).

Qualification for eclisiastical orders is based on your mobile bandwidth, the number of batteries carried on your person, your ability to cause (instead of cure) brain cancer in yourself an others. Attendies at church services are reminded that phones and beepers must be left on and activiated several times during any meeting.

Our Messiah is not expected to come in the flesh, but will manifest as a facebook page or an impressive internet-spanning virus.

Our ideological enemies will be Luddites of every kind and the "Geek Squad".
    • CommentAuthorkorkskrew

enginerd's religion sounds funner. I pick that one. Do I have to believe in anything besides being annoying?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

Posted By: maryyugoSeems way too complicated with everything pushing to every device and of course, Mr. Jobs reassures us that "it all just works". Yah shoore.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/hardware/mac/229900132
    Mobile Me relaunched. Yawn. Sometimes even old Stevie needs to learn something the hard way for the second time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2011 edited

Posted By: alsetalokinI'm going to form a new secular religion. It will be called "Congregation of Latter-Day Luddites" and members will have to drop their cellphones in a barrel of consecrated water at the entrances of the meetingplaces. In order to rise to Bishopricky in the CLDL, one must renounce all information-processing and communication devices other than the slide rule and the pencil, the manual typewriter and the bicycle. The Heirophant of the CLDL is of course yours truly, and our awaited Messiah, when he comes, will be known by his poverty, humility, and lack of Facebook friends.
    I'm with you as far as Facebook and Twitter go. I refuse to maintain an identity on either. But I just love gadgets. But my hatred for FB and Twitter is enough to win me over, complete with my double standards. Can I be the first hypocrite of this new religion?
    • CommentAuthorkorkskrew

I think Al claimed that title when he networked his telescope...
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

I can't find it now but I browsed an article claiming that Google is outdated by Facebook and all searches in the future will be "fresh" instead of outdated "fossils" because social networks are so much more informative a source than web links. What crappoolah. Social networks are uncontrollable. There is no reliable way what information you are sharing with specific people and not with everyone so fuck it all. I can't wait for the first law suit because a divorce or murder is occasioned by someone not realizing someone else can read what they wrote on FB or Twitter.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Zuckerberg is a punk. And Facebook is evil. Five to fifteen years from now the generation of current teens and twenty somethings who are giddily giving our their privacy to Facebook and others like it will realize how valuable the privacy is that they gave away and that they can never get it back.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

It's a tool but a pretty weird one. One can use it to find people with whom one has been long ago disconnected. That's because forwarding lists of phones and addresses traditionally were kept on paper and had to be regularly purged. Most institutions have not changed the usual time periods (typically only one year). So it has it's uses. Also it's great for young people to keep up with their peers' activities and for large companies to keep everyone advised about schedules and goings on. But it's virtually unusable by individuals because you never know who will find out what and individuals don't generally give the same information to anyone they know regardless of how closely.
    Posted By: joshsZuckerberg is a punk. And Facebook is evil. Five to fifteen years from now the generation of current teens and twenty somethings who are giddily giving our their privacy to Facebook and others like it will realize how valuable the privacy is that they gave away and that they can never get it back.

Preach it!
    Posted By: korkskrewI think Al claimed that title when he networked his telescope...

(slinks off in shame......)
    • CommentAuthorsonoboy
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2011

There's no shortage of shitheads from my past trying to locate me on facebook etc. (others tell me about it). I suppose it has it's place but my feelings are with josh in the matter.... and then some.
    • CommentAuthorscience

I'm so sick of hearing about "the cloud". Sick sick sick!
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: scienceI'm so sick of hearing about "the cloud". Sick sick sick!
    that's why you might be excited to hear about "the shroud".
    • CommentAuthorloreman

Shroud computing!

Sounds like dead reckoning!
    • CommentAuthorloreman

Will it pass the Turin test?
    In a flash.
    • CommentAuthorthehard

If you haven't yet, go watch Catfish.

A movie that starts like this cannot be bad.
    • CommentAuthorUtD_Grant

Posted By: loremanWill it pass the Turin test?

Utd_grant LIKES this.