Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2011

Posted By: loremanAfter all that, there's still an implied want of cause for the BB

An infinite regression. Gotta stop somewhere, at least for now. Since we are about 30 orders of magnitude beneath the kind of energies we would need to investigate the conditions shortly at the initiation of the universal expansion, that's about it for the time being. All else is mere speculation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

... and don't forget that the usual cause of pretty much everything is that it was done for the lulz!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

The question was - whose lulz?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

The universe's?
    • CommentAuthorloreman

Ah, Lodewijk again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: enginerdWhy God doesn't worry about an evolution chamber.

A scientist approached God (I assume this must be the one god, god of creation god) and said. "Ha ha. I have discovered how to create life. You're not so hot really"

"OKAY", says God, "SHOW ME"

"First" says the scientist, "I take some hydrogen, some oxygen and some nitrogen"

As the scientist puts the cannisters onto the labtable, God whisks them away and says "MAKE YOUR OWN ELEMENTS, I MADE THESE"

An old joke. I could never quite get the point of it. It seems to be saying that the existence of the elements is a precondition for life. Duuuhhh?

Unless the God in the joke is not meant as a metaphor. In which case the humour is dependent on a number of preconditions I don't meet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLoonyman

"if you want to make an apple pie from scratch, first you must create the universe"

..... Carl Sagen.
    • CommentAuthorloreman

"I'd rather apple pie made from apples"

.....Loreman
    • CommentAuthorenginerd

The god, the scientist, and the elements in the old joke are probably all metaphors for God, scientists, and elements.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Hmmm....you are proposing a new concept here: the autometaphor. A figure of speech in which a thing is used as a symbol of itself. Could save a lot of words in poetry.
    Posted By: enginerdThe god, the scientist, and the elements in the old joke are probably all metaphors for God, scientists, and elements.

That is an extremely deep statement.

So deep that I think I'm going back to sleep, before I drown in the implications of being one's own metaphor.
    I like mixing rootstocks. You can come up with some interesting novologosities.

For example we may generate homometaphors and heterometaphors, preemptometaphors, maxi- and miniphors, phosmetaphors, metapherophores, and of course triskadelimetaphors.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2011

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2011

Be careful what you randomly synthesise. Something may swim up out of the goo to bite you.
    Posted By: AngusBe careful what you randomly synthesise. Something may swim up out of the goo to bite you.

You know too much. How did you get into our bathroom?
    I think the joke is simple if looked at simply by someone who believes in God. It isn't actually funny but it has a sort of "take that you secularist pig" opportunity for enjoyment. Many jokes are funny only as a group jeer at some other group.

Why did John McCain cross the road?
    It was an election year and the cameras were rolling.

Trying to look at it from a larger perspective, I think maybe their is humor in the notion of God as the leader in the game keeping His stuff to himself.
    Posted By: AngusBe careful what you randomly synthesise. Something may swim up out of the goo to bite you.

That refrigerator cleaning might not be a good idea. Chain it closed, and hire a crook to steal it and dump it some were. Don't worry about that it might become a God later...
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2015

Po

I believe it is called Angus.

Scientists discover organism that hasn't evolved in more than 2 billion years.

http://phys.org/news/2015-02-scientists-hasnt-evolved-billion-years.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2015

Scientists have discovered a powerful new strain of fact-resistant humans who are threatening the ability of Earth to sustain life, a sobering new study reports.

The research, conducted by the University of Minnesota, identifies a virulent strain of humans who are virtually immune to any form of verifiable knowledge, leaving scientists at a loss as to how to combat them.

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/scientists-earth-endangered-by-new-strain-of-fact-resistant-humans