Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Just think how much more readable this article would be if written by a native English speaker.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2015

NS

They will be back.

Dinosaur blood cells extracted from 75-million-year-old fossil.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn27687
    I think that if there were a fair to good chance of hatching a viable T-Rex egg, we would go for it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2015

As our knowledge of genes and DNA increases, as well as supercomputers, guestimates of many extinct creatures DNA will become ever closer to reality, if we can actually get some part of the real DNA then wow!
    It is already foreseeable that we'll be able to create animals to specification, which of course includes those which had never before existed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanJust think how much more readable this article would be if written by a native English speaker.

How!
    White eyes make big medicine fixum DNA. You not sick no more.
    How!
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Wot? Even Roo-bots?
    Posted By: alsetalokinA Rose for Ecclesiastes

Half a Process!
    It's been years since I read science fiction all the way through; even a short story like that. Thanks. It was splendid.

I really should tackle Brin's Existence in the near future, which lies barely started on a shelf in my kitchen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2015 edited

I have been reading at a collaboration between Gregory Benford and Larry Niven called "Bowl of Heaven". It is awful. The early work of both these guys was powerful and full of good, strong and novel ideas. ( I am still stunned at the concept of the Pak protector, and the whole Motie thing. And Benford's first book "Artifact" really impressed me, though he declined after that. )

But now - Bowl of Heaven is the final letdown. It makes no technical sense, the characters are escapees from a Tom Clancy novel, and the plot hardly exists.

What's an old SF fan to do? The Clarkes and Asimovs and Sturgeons are all gone and their successor have become senile.
    Ursula K. LeGuinn? - not my cuppa tea
    Neal Stephenson? - too trendy. I wish he'd go jack himself into oblivion.
    I can't stand listening to him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Ursula Leguin is one of the masters.
    Stephenson is ingenious but somehow a bit light.
    I like William Gibson, but theres not much range there.
    We all agree that Chip Delaney is a master, I believe. Some of his stuff is pretty flimsy, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthormagic moment
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2015 edited

I challenge both of you to read any China MiƩville book, particularly Embassytown. He is from Norwich.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

I have. He's good.
    Agreed. He has created a new genre, IMNSHO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Gaiman similar?
    Not as diverse nor prolific as NG
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

I'm not terribly fond of Gaiman's writing.
    Which MiƩville book? The City and The City and Embassytown define his genre, I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

I've read Embassytown and one other, which one I forget. I find I don't remember his books, just the impression that I enjoyed them. I am not sure whether that is his fault or mine. It is true I am becoming a cheap read. I just go downstairs and pick up any of my old books, and it seems brand new to me.
    Yes, economical and saves trips to the library. Soon you will get to meet all new friends.