Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

No wonder I feel so giddy. I think I missed my stop.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDerrickA
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2012

It likely our Milky way galaxy is also giddy enough miss it's stop. Because, if nothing changes in the next 4 billion years, our galaxy will be forced to exchange drivers licence and registration info with the Andromeda galaxy.
    CRASH!!! (tinkle, tinkle)
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2012 edited

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2012

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2012

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2012

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2012

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2012

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus

That's a good one- thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

I have my uses.
    Hmm... useful indeed. I'm forwarding a heads-up to the MOND experimenters I know, who have been unsatisfied with Milgrom's formulation for some time, since there is some question as to whether it can even be tested on Earth due to gravitational background. They probably already know about this article but there is always a chance that they've missed it, and I will accrue a few kudos in that case.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Do I get 10%? ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2012 edited

I once met Bill Unruh. Can I get kudos for that?
    •  
      CommentAuthoroak
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2012 edited

The author's blog is interesting:
    http://physicsfromtheedge.blogspot.co.uk/

As supporting evidence for his MiHsC theory he cites among other things the following: the fact that the non-Newtonian acceleration observed at galactic edges ('conventionally' explained by dark matter) is now also being found in far smaller globular clusters (whose outer stars also move too fast) -- which dark matter cannot account for (June 25 blog entry); the Tajmar experiment (recognizing it has not yet been repeated) (July 9 blog entry); the Pioneer anomaly (criticizing the recent thermal radiation explanation) (May 1 blog entry); and the fact that there is no good explanation for what keeps a galaxy's supposed dark matter halo from collapsing to the galactic center (June 1 blog entry). He suggests that if the MiHsC theory is correct, it may be possible to artificially modify the inertia of objects by interfering with, or enhancing, the Unruh radiation they see. "Then, as their inertia changes, the conservation of momentum should cause them to move." (May 19 blog entry.)

I'd be interested in hearing others' thoughts on any of that.

On a related note, two separate teams looking at data from the Chandra X-ray Observatory compared the velocities of stars near the center of a cluster of galaxies with the velocities of stars located far away from the center. One team concluded the data supported the dark matter theory (the velocities were consistent with dark matter being more concentrated at the center of the cluster of galaxies). The other team, looking at overlapping but not identical data, concluded the data did not support the dark matter theory (i.e. that there was no higher concentration of dark matter at the center of the cluster.)
    http://www.chandra.harvard.edu/photo/2012/a383/
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2012

Nice if Doc Smith inertialess drive is possible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2012

•  
      CommentAuthorEndeavour
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2012

Has this been posted already?
    http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/2012/oct/01/dark-matter-alternative-tackles-elliptical-galaxies
    •  
      CommentAuthorEndeavour
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2012

Thanks
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2012