Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2011

Medical Express

Lets hope it works for him, although whether the Chinese overlords will let him come back is the question.

US cryonics founder dies, has body frozen
    •  
      CommentAuthorterry1094
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2011

Bobcicle! Oops. I was looking for the Zombie thread.
    • CommentAuthorLakes

Even if this were to work, due to future nanotech or whatever, would`nt the person suffer severe culture shock?
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Yes and no he had several relatives frozen before hand which could be a great help when he resumes living.
    Of course the USA will no longer be the superpower and may just be part of greater Mexico, so if he had any sense he would had already learnt Spanish and Mandarin. If he has invested carefully he/they can resume life in their own orbital habitat, set up especially for the late twentieth early twenty-first century where they can be slowly uptimed, of course that assumes he is still flesh.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: TrimOf course the USA will no longer be the superpower and may just be part of greater Mexico,

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Interesting map Angus but I think Greenland will also be part of the United Kingdoms of Canada.
    • CommentAuthortinker

Lakes. Just how much future shock would depend on where he lives now. Take somebody from the backwoods of Cajun country and drop them into downtown Tokyo if you want to experiment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

Posted By: tinkerTake somebody from the backwoods of Cajun country and
    Stereotype much?
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep

I think once you are dead, it would be sensible to stay dead.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2011 edited

Posted By: Angus
    Posted By: TrimOf course the USA will no longer be the superpower and may just be part of greater Mexico,

map here
    What an interesting map. Several errors stand out, though. Aztlan's northern border is much too far south; it actually cuts off most of south Texas and much of the southern portions of New Mexico and Arizona, some of Nevada, and about half of California.
    It's good to know that we'll have a short drive to the beach; the Great Nebraska Sea's western shore seems to cut right along the Balcones Fault through central Texas.
    And thank goodness we've finally allowed Florida to sink.
    • CommentAuthorenginerd

I can't decide whether Oregon and Idaho being in Canada is a good thing or a bad thing, for Oregon or Idaho or Canada.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

They are already part of Canada, estranged by the machinations of great powers. We call them the Lost Territories. The perfidious Albionese failed to support us through the Oregon Crisis and they were cruelly ripp'd from our bosom.

Don't get me started on Alaska.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

There's nothing known to suggest that he's not just freezing a bunch of meat. Human personalities seem to be a pattern of electrical activity in nerve cells. When the cells are essentially dissolved by freezing and the microcrystals that form from it, the organization and potential for resuscitation of the brain is almost certainly destroyed. Protectants can be used for small animals but there is nothing to suggest they work in larger ones. And even if they did, there is no likely method of in volume heating that could restore the tissue of a large animal from frozen without again creating the crystals that destroy cell structure.

Maybe in a few hundred years, there will be a discovery to make possible freezing and thawing dead people so they might be resuscitated. But except as a novelty, why would a most likely cluttered and overpopulated society want to do that? And why would they bother to maintain the frozen corpse after the original endowment has been spent?
    • CommentAuthorenginerd

@angus

You talk like somebody who has never been to Oregon, Idaho, or Alaska in this century. It seems to me that the populace considers themselves to be less apart of Canada, that the rest of the States of America consider themselves to be part of England.

If I were in charge, I might be willing to trade Washington and Oregon for Upper Cananda and part of Novus Scotia.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

If I were in charge, I would put someone else in charge!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: enginerdIt seems to me that the populace considers themselves to be less apart of Canada, that the rest of the States of America consider themselves to be part of England.

Not surprising, considering that the US acquired the territories by bringing in squatters. Sort of like Texas. So why should we be concerned about their wishes? They can all go back where they came from if they don't like it in Canada.

As a matter of fact there was once a poster here who lived in Seattle, and who was very enthusiastic about the thought of Washington becoming part of us. I'll think of his name at an inopportune moment.

And as for Alaska, we won't grant Sarah Palin citizenship, and there will be a serious review of other occupants of the territory. I'm thinking we might have to run the Evangeline scenario there.
    • CommentAuthortensor

Posted By: maryyugo

Maybe in a few hundred years, there will be a discovery to make possible freezing and thawing dead people so they might be resuscitated. But except as a novelty, why would a most likely cluttered and overpopulated society want to do that? And why would they bother to maintain the frozen corpse after the original endowment has been spent?

Not a hundred years, advances are being made:
    http://nextbigfuture.com/2011/01/magnetic-fields-vibrates-water-to.html
    "What do you do to prevent ice crystals during slow freezing? Use magnets. ABI is the Japanese company producing the freezer system.ABI’s “Cells Alive System” (CAS) vibrates water with magnetic fields, preventing freezing, even at supercool temperatures of -10 degrees Celsius (According to the Patent.) When the field is turned off, the water in the food instantly freezes. No time for ice growth means no damage to frozen organs."

Molecular Repair of the Brain (long):
    http://www.merkle.com/cryo/techFeas.html
    "Cryonic suspension can transport a terminally ill patient to future medical technology. The damage done by current freezing methods is likely to be reversible at some point in the future. In general, for cryonics to fail, one of the following "failure criteria" must be met:
    1.Pre-suspension and suspension injury would have to be sufficient to cause information theoretic death. In the case of the human brain, the damage would have to obliterate the structures encoding human memory and personality beyond recognition.
    2.Repair technologies that are clearly feasible in principle based on our current understanding of physics and chemistry would have to remain undeveloped in practice, even after several centuries.
    "
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: tensorThe damage done by current freezing methods is likely to be reversible at some point in the future.

Well, by the same thinking, the damage done by burial or cremation is likely to be reversible at some farther point in the future, so why spend the money on all that liquid nitrogen?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

It would be nice to be able to get thawed out for a day or two every decade or so, just to see if there was anything happening worth staying defrosted a bit longer for.
    • CommentAuthortensor

Posted By: Angus
    Posted By: tensorThe damage done by current freezing methods is likely to be reversible at some point in the future.

Well, by the same thinking, the damage done by burial or cremation is likely to be reversible at some farther point in the future, so why spend the money on all that liquid nitrogen?

That would be information theoretic death:

"...as long as the structures that encode the memory and personality of a human being have not been irretrievably "erased" (to use computer jargon) then restoration to a fully functional state with memory and personality intact is in principle feasible. Any technology independent definition of "death" should conclude that such a person is not dead, for a sufficiently advanced technology could restore the person to a healthy state.

On the flip side of the coin, if the structures encoding memory and personality have suffered sufficient damage to obliterate them beyond recognition, then death by the information theoretic criterion has occurred. An effective method of insuring such destruction is to burn the structure and stir the ashes. This is commonly employed to insure the destruction of classified documents. Under the name of "cremation" it is also employed on human beings and is sufficient to insure that death by the information theoretic criterion takes place.
    "