Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorgenesis
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2011 edited

pros all the HW seemed working right after installation.

neutral : GUI...not sure whether i like it or not
    Scrolling using netbook touchpad might annoy sometimes in "linux explorer"
    could not find "language bar"equivalent

cons slow boot
    slow while operating
    the latest from skype.com tells me i can't install skype on this version of linux
    unable to see/access windows partition,wtf(it was possible in previous ver,no)?
    unable to find a "device manager" equivalent...is there any?
    none of the specific sw i use under win can i find for linux.

probably more to come if i had patience...

P.S. feel free to correct me if i'm wrong
    •  
      CommentAuthortimetrumpet

Is this physical installation, live CD, or whatever new run-inside-your-own OS test version they're supporting?

neutral : GUI

I haven't installed this yet, but you should be able to fall back on the standard desktop at the login screen - "Session" as a selection or similar?

cons

slow boot - first installation it does a bit of patching up and checking - may be faster on subsequent boots

slow while operating - can you qualify this a bit. What activity appears slow, in what application?

skype - no idea but I'm going to stick 11 in a VM and test out so may get back

windows partition - likely being conservative when it detects and mounts volumes. Try "System" -> "Administration" -> "Disk Utility" - if the partition appears there, you can usually ask to mount it, and it'll then appear.

device manager - what is it you want to do - more than one place to look depending?

specific sw - what software are you after? or more generally, what are you trying to get done?
    •  
      CommentAuthortimetrumpet

@genesis

What spec. of PC is this running on? I'll constrain my VM to something similar in terms of memory etc

Progress here:

10:46 - start download 32-bit CD image for installation in a VMWare Fusion VM

11:25 - download finished - create VM and begin installation - 512Mb mem, 20Gb disk as a kick off

11:36 - installation finished

Slightly disconcertingly, the install started automatically, grabbed the entire disk and installed the defaults (after asking me for a username at the start)

I'd guess that this is because the (virtual) HD had no existing OS to think about

A brief pause in text mode while VMWare tools is installed on my behalf, and it reboots into the graphical login.

11:39 loggin in

At the login screen, the pop-up list allows "Ubuntu", "Ubuntu Classic". I choose "Ubuntu" but I'm told my hardware isn't suitable and it boots me into the classic desktop.

Fiddle to see what hardware the VM is presenting that Unity doesn't like...

12:16 (and intervening work)

Bumped up the VM to 1Gb, enabled 3D acceleration on the graphics card - neither made any difference as far as I can tell, I still get the standard desktop.

Leave Unity for the time being to look at Flash and Skype status...

12:27 flash installed

Followed the links from the browser, allowed Software Center to install the download, refreshed the page, Youtube works. Now Skype...

12:55 find Skype in the software centre and attempt installation...

13:05 Skpe installed - claims to be working correctly on test call - no microphone attached so can't bounce own voice, but no errors or complaints in installation

13:09 Nosebag

14:04 Still no Unity - selected "System" -> "Administration" -> "Additional Drivers" to install VMWares updated video drivers. Also used Update Manager to update any other files automatically. 200Mb download and install processing...

14:22 No joy, BUT

Search on VMWare forums shows that VMWare doesn't support video features required for Unity 3D.

However the slightly less bells and whistles Unity 2D is supported

Install with command line (as provided by VMWare poster):

sudo apt-get install unity-2d-default-settings

And logout to choose "Unity 2D" - successul installation of a desktop I'd never use if I had the choice
    •  
      CommentAuthorgenesis
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2011

more cons: unable to install Flash player for youtube. tried the "inbuilt linux flash replacement" - doesn't work ...

i have a netbook for net browsing purpose, it's atom n450 cpu , 1 gig of ram and 40gigs of SSD .

Posted By: timetrumpetdevice manager - what is it you want to do - more than one place to look depending?
    i'd like to look what HW and what drivers i have installed for example.

Posted By: timetrumpetslow while operating - can you qualify this a bit. What activity appears slow, in what application?
    well...when i click to open "banshee player" it takes some 2-3 secs to open - that's bloody slow....it's pretty much every window or aplication has this delay....also boot time seem to be improved a bit but it is still far from being fast...
    •  
      CommentAuthorgenesis

Posted By: timetrumpetwindows partition - likely being conservative when it detects and mounts volumes. Try "System" -> "Administration" -> "Disk Utility" - if the partition appears there, you can usually ask to mount it, and it'll then appear.

emmm...i opened disk utility it sees the whole drive , it sees 100MB w7 sys partition and it shows linux reserved space of ~5GB,but it shows no win7 files... it must be because my linux and w7 are on the same partition i guess...
    •  
      CommentAuthortimetrumpet

Posted By: genesisi'd like to look what HW and what drivers i have installed for example

I don't have an installation to look at what 11 gives you graphically, but if you drop to a command line, you can try:

lspci

and

lsmod

To get a rough idea what they do

man lspci

and

man lsmod

There are graphical alternatives, but I don't know what they are in 11 until I've installed it.

Your 40Gb storage - 8Gb builtin + 32Gb SD? or a 40Gb SSD ?
    •  
      CommentAuthortimetrumpet

Posted By: genesisemmm...i opened disk utility it sees the whole drive , it sees 100MB w7 sys partition and it shows linux reserved space of ~5GB,but it shows no win7 files... it must be because my linux and w7 are on the same partition i guess...

Hard to know without seeing what you're seeing.

Two command lines to make it clearer, would you run these and show the results here?

df -h

and

mount
    •  
      CommentAuthorgenesis

Posted By: timetrumpetYour 40Gb storage - 8Gb builtin + 32Gb SD? or a 40Gb SSD ?
    no no it's a stand alone SSD 40gig drive.

Posted By: timetrumpet
    specific sw - what software are you after? or more generally, what are you trying to get done?
    never mind that. i did not expect it to work anyway....it's a minor issue at this point.
    Posted By: genesisit must be because my linux and w7 are on the same partition i guess...

Sorry, how did you install this? Is it installed on the disk, dual boot or some other way?
    •  
      CommentAuthorgenesis

Hard to know without seeing what you're seeing.

Two command lines to make it clearer, would you run these and show the results here?

< http://i52.tinypic.com/v5dglf.png >

emmm....i can't find a commandline....lol
    @genesis

"Applications" -> "Accessories" -> "Terminal" ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorgenesis

ohh.....it expands!!!! lol....

< http://i51.tinypic.com/6j0dxy.png >
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

LOL - Mary is going to just love this thread!
    Maybe. And I'm going to love hearing the equivalent commands to elicit information remotely for a typical Win7 install.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgenesis

Posted By: genesisit must be because my linux and w7 are on the same partition i guess...

Sorry, how did you install this? Is it installed on the disk, dual boot or some other way?
    i did try the new linux feature : < http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/windows-installer > and it works like a dual boot...
    •  
      CommentAuthortimetrumpet

@genesis

Ah, OK.

I don't think I'd be surprised that the performance isn't stellar in these circumstances when you consider what it's doing.

For a boot off a Live CD, you typically have immediate access to your WIN partition readonly (depending on any other security you might have enabled)

For a dual boot installation, I can't remember the default - it may be RO, or could be RW

For what you have here (effectively VM'ing it (ETA *WRONG!* should have read more carefully - may still be an overhead here with disk access)) no idea what access it offers to give you to existing data.
    @genesis

This is claimed for your current data:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide#How_do_I_access_the_Windows_drives.3F
    •  
      CommentAuthorgenesis

@TT

ok thanks so far....if only i could get flash player running and skype , i'd consider this as a success ...lol
    @genesis

I can't check in Unity, but in the standard desktop

"Application" -> "Ubuntu Software Center"

Then in the search field at the top right, type "flash"

Do you get a couple of options?
    •  
      CommentAuthorgenesis

Posted By: timetrumpet@genesis

I can't check in Unity, but in the standard desktop

"Application" -> "Ubuntu Software Center"

Then in the search field at the top right, type "flash"

Do you get a couple of options?
    there is no skype. there is somkind of replacement for flash player,but it won't work to play youtube videos.

here is my problem when downloading flash: < http://i55.tinypic.com/15f6u4o.png > when i press "choose" it is empty....