Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthortimetrumpet
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2011 edited

@genesis

You don't need to press "Choose", it's already highlighted the correct App - because there are only 2 list choices it's hard to distinguish a highlight.

If you just press "OK" when "Ubuntu Software Center" is highlighted in red, it should download and install.

ETA: I see you got to this point by following the links from the browser. If it isn't too late, I'd try the direct links from the Software Center instead as described above.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgenesis
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2011

Posted By: timetrumpet@genesis

You don't need to press "Choose", it's already highlighted the correct App - because there are only 2 list choices it's hard to distinguish a highlight.

If you just press "OK" when "Ubuntu Software Center" is highlighted in red, it should download and install.

yes i tried that, and it even installed something from 3d party,not sure what though....but i still can't see a thing from youtube....IOW it doesn't work...
    •  
      CommentAuthorgenesis

Posted By: timetrumpet
    ETA: I see you got to this point by following the links from the browser. If it isn't too late, I'd try the direct links from the Software Center instead as described above.
    you mean this? < http://i52.tinypic.com/1zv5wtj.png > it doesn't work either....not sure why. does it work for you?
    Which browser are you using?

When you open "Software Center" and look at "Installed Software", does Adobe Flash come up with a green tick next to it? Screenshot?
    Posted By: genesis
    you mean this? <http://i52.tinypic.com/1zv5wtj.png> it doesn't work either....not sure why. does it work for you?

Yes, but I didn't use that, as I'm trying to follow your actions. The download from Adobe worked for me (added it to the log at the beginning of the thread).

Please check it appears in your "Installed Software" (select from left hand side in Software Center)
    @genesis

We'll continue with Flash in parallel, but for Skype, can we take it one step at a time?

In Ubuntu Software Center, if you type Skype into the search box at top right, what result do you get?
    •  
      CommentAuthorgenesis

ok, i finally found where the problem is....it looks like it did not like that my browser was open while installing...after browser restart it finally works.....lol.....oki-doki....now....how do i get skype....?
    Posted By: timetrumpetIn Ubuntu Software Center, if you type Skype into the search box at top right, what result do you get?

?
    •  
      CommentAuthorgenesis

Posted By: timetrumpetIn Ubuntu Software Center, if you type Skype into the search box at top right, what result do you get?

?
    nothing....ok i downloaded some kind of installation for previous ubuntu10....seems that i'll be able to install it finally....
    You get nothing but I get an entry directly for Skype. Can you screenshot before you install the previous one, just make sure we're talking about the same thing?

Lots of differences of course - processor, host etc - but still..
    •  
      CommentAuthorgenesis

heck! it's 2.2 beta...lol.....oh God.....lol...
    •  
      CommentAuthorgenesis

Posted By: timetrumpet[div class=CommentHeader][span][/span][/div][div id=CommentBody_138015 class=CommentBody]You get nothing but I get an entry directly for Skype. Can you screenshot before you install the previous one[/div]
    sorry screenshot what exactly? emmm.....what version of skype did you get?
    •  
      CommentAuthorgenesis

ok i'm about to reboot windows for awhile, need to run some errands...astalavista baby....i'll be back!
    @genesis

Screenshot the result of your search in the Software Center, just to be certain.

I've installed nothing yet as I was trying to shadow what you're doing.

According to the SC, it's this version: 2.2.0.35-0natty1 (skype) - same as yours by the sound of it. Installing now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgenesis

Posted By: timetrumpet@genesis

Screenshot the result of your search in the Software Center, just to be certain.

I've installed nothing yet as I was trying to shadow what you're doing.

According to the SC, it's this version: 2.2.0.35-0natty1 (skype) - same as yours by the sound of it. Installing now.
    ok i will do it a bit later...
    •  
      CommentAuthorgenesis

ha! it's there < http://i55.tinypic.com/20iyuzn.png > lol....how do i update it to normal version?

advanced options show only automatic start up update...i guess there is no new version then....
    @genesis

To be fair, it will report anything that has been installed (green tick indicating that)

So you may not have had it available to install in the first place, but once it's installed through another route, SC knows it's there. Could also be just a mistype / wrong selection when searching, who knows.

2.2 looks like the latest. I wouldn't hold out massive hope that after Skype's acquisition they'll be hustling to improve the Linux build
    •  
      CommentAuthorgenesis

Posted By: timetrumpetCould also be just a mistype / wrong selection when searching, who knows.
    i suspect wrong selection...because i did the search in each category....not overall search....it's more likely to be human error...lol...

anyway , thanks for help!
    @genesis

Welcome! In my efforts to get to the new Unity interface, I selected "System" -> "Administration" -> "Update Manager" and there were ~ 200Mb worth of updates to apply - might be worth doing the same on yours before you use it in anger.

The way that WUBI works, the whole filesystem is run like a virual disk inside a physical file on the Windows partition - this might explain some of the performance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgenesis

what i find uncomfortable is, i can't get my head around the structure of this OS....i mean in windows it is perfectly clear what is what and what it does...here though...it's like scrabble into a bag with double lining.....one misclick and you don't get anything....and that scrolling thing - that's awful ! they really haven't thought that someone would use it with touchpad...