Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorgenesis
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2011

Posted By: timetrumpetThe way that WUBI works, the whole filesystem is run like a virual disk inside a physical file on the Windows partition - this might explain some of the performance.
    i will probably reinstall it properly as a dual boot,to see how it performs...but that a bit later....first need to play with it a bit...
    @genesis

It's only clear through familiarity, and you aren't familiar with it yet - bound to be some learning curve.

I'm finding the switch to Snow Leopard to be a similar experience (and that's why I'm typing this from a Linux VM with no frills instead of biting the bullet and using Safari and the native desktop)

Not certain on the scrolling, maybe not seeing the same thing that you are yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgenesis
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2011 edited

Posted By: timetrumpetNot certain on the scrolling, maybe not seeing the same thing that you are yet.
    have look at the cursor....those arrows < http://i52.tinypic.com/ma9duu.png > that is bloody awful...imo...why the fcuk did they not leave the scroll bar like on firefox...?
    •  
      CommentAuthortimetrumpet

@genesis

Seeing something similar. I notice that the arrows pop out and display when the cursor is near the thin scroll bar, so you don't need to play hit the pixel.

This behaviours quite subtle, so you don't have to be quite as accurate as you might be assuming - you can overshoot the edge of the window and the arrows pop up and stay there for quite a while.

If your'e full screen - a situation I think they're expecting with netbooks etc, you can sweep to the right and when you hit the edge, the controls pop up under the arrow.

So I think it's designed to behave differently and takes a bit of practice to realise you don't have to be as accurate as you assume.

ETA - some of the thinking behind the design - Warning, contains accents of a graphic nature

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/03/unity-to-get-overlay-scrollbars.html
    Posted By: genesis
    Posted By: timetrumpet
    Hard to know without seeing what you're seeing.

Two command lines to make it clearer, would you run these and show the results here?

<http://i52.tinypic.com/v5dglf.png>

emmm....i can't find a commandline....lol

(I'm only on Page One of the thread but I had to laugh here.... MY is going to be spewing her kawfy all over the place... By now you know to open a Terminal window for your command line. Back to reading....)
    •  
      CommentAuthorgenesis

Posted By: timetrumpetETA - some of the thinking behind the design - Warning, contains accents of a graphic nature

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/03/unity-to-get-overlay-scrollbars.html

yes...that thing....they could have shown the command how to remove those "advanced" scrolls instead ....and get back to normal ones...alright,hell with that.
    Posted By: genesiswhat i find uncomfortable is, i can't get my head around the structure of this OS....i mean in windows it is perfectly clear what is what and what it does...here though...it's like scrabble into a bag with double lining.....one misclick and you don't get anything....and that scrolling thing - that's awful ! they really haven't thought that someone would use it with touchpad...

Stay with the OS for a few days and it will click and you will see that all your Windows functionality re file organization and manipulation is there and fully usable. For the speed of the installation you really shouldn't be running the Linux as a Windows application--- Follow the directions and install it as a dual boot on a separate partition from your Win7. The Win7 will be visible to the Linux and v-v, and each system will run faster than it does now.
    Sure... touchpads on a laptop are stupid for scrolling. My Win7 drives me nuts in this regard-- it's not the OS's fault, it's the hardware. I solved the problem incredibly well: I got a Logitech M305 wireless mouse for about 30 dollars from Staple's. This is the coolest mouse... it has a scroll wheel that can scroll both vertically and horizontally! and can operate as a 5-button mouse if your system can handle it. And of course Ubuntu knows all about it and it works oob.
    Posted By: genesis
    Posted By: timetrumpetNot certain on the scrolling, maybe not seeing the same thing that you are yet.
    have look at the cursor....those arrows <http://i52.tinypic.com/ma9duu.png> that is bloody awful...imo...why the fcuk did they not leave the scroll bar like on firefox...?

Look--it's more like an Apple Mac every day.... !!

System>Preferences>Appearance "may" give you some theme options that may have elevator scroll bars instead of the stupid buttons. There may also be appearance themes on-line that satisfy your look-and-feel requirements.
    Posted By: alsetalokinMY is going to be spewing her kawfy all over the place...

Well, in all likelihood - but I'll take an exact and explicit command that achieves the desired result over any amount of umming and ahhing and attempting to describe where the little button thingy is etc. etc. any day.
    • CommentAuthorenginerd

Interesting thread. I almost felt like I was there, except I didn't have the high levels of frustration and joy that come with doing something like that live, myself.
    Posted By: alsetalokinLook--it's more like an Apple Mac every day.... !!

What makes these scrollbars "difficult" is just expectation - you expect you need to be more accurate and behave accordingly - in fact you can be less accurate, you just need to realise it.

It's not unlike carefully picking at an iPhone keyboard and finding it far too fiddly, until you realise you can just mash your fingers on there and it'll work it out 99% of the time, when it becomes far easier.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlegendre

I think the title of this thread should be "Linux Mint 11" - there is no Linux 11.
    @legs

I think it's Ubuntu Natty 11.04, as opposed to Mint. If it isn't, it might explain a few differences in our experience.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgenesis

Posted By: legendreI think the title of this thread should be "Linux Mint 11" - there is no Linux 11.
    it tells me it is ubuntu....
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin

Posted By: legendreI think the title of this thread should be "Linux Mint 11" - there is no Linux 11.

Perhaps more correctly "Ubuntu 11" since Mint is a subclass of Ubuntu. For example I am running "Mythbuntu" which is a multimedia subclass of Ubuntu, and this was preserved through the upgrade. Mint, which I tried several times and didn't like, seems to me to be a slightly downcapabled subclass. I "usually" stick with the basic Ubuntu flavor and even installed the full desktop version on the Samsung netbook.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlegendre

Ah, OK..

@genesis

Linux (the kernel) is at version 2.6.XX.. It's Ubuntu that's at version 11.04.

I just installed it last evening, but I use Xubuntu - it's basically the same, but it uses the XFCE desktop system.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlegendre

So can anyone tell me how to un-fuck the default Firefox layout? I managed to get rid of the "Tabs on top", but how do I put a refresh button on the toolbar?

They really screwed it up, lol.

ETA: Ok, it's already there, to the extreme right of the address bar.. just looks a lot different than it did.
    Which OS? Which version of FF?
    •  
      CommentAuthorgenesis

Posted By: legendreLinux (the kernel) is at version 2.6.XX.. It's Ubuntu that's at version 11.04.

oh please...it's linux11 for me...couldn't care less what ver kernel is until it works.
    @genesis

Aside from general familiarity, is there anything specifically not working now, or applications you want a steer towards to perform a specific task?