Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorlegendre
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2011

Posted By: genesis
    Posted By: legendreLinux (the kernel) is at version 2.6.XX.. It's Ubuntu that's at version 11.04.

oh please...it's linux11 for me...couldn't care less what ver kernel is until it works.

Right, except that it's NOT LINUX 11.

There is no Linux 11.. It's Ubuntu 11.04.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2011 edited

@genesis:
    System>Administraton>System Monitor, the System tab, will show the Linux kernel version. For my 10.04 Ubuntu Lucid it is 2.6.32-33-generic. The Linux kernel version will sometimes be updated and you will be notified of applicable updates automatically (if option is set and you are connected). This is different from the upgrade of the entire OS and will happen painlessly, except for requiring a reboot to the new kernel.

And, in the Terminal window, for Linux commands you don't understand, like "man" for instance, you can get the manual page by typing
    man command where "command" is replaced by your command. Like
    man man for example.

When you get a man page this way, you are in "vi" editor. Use PageUp and PageDown, and to exit the editor use :q and to cut-paste text from one window (like this one) to another (like the console aka Terminal) you highlight the text in the source window, then place the cursor where you want it to go in the target window, and simply press the middle mouse button.
    @legs

You're correct, but also handing ammunition to the competing developers at YugOS (tm)
    •  
      CommentAuthorlegendre

Here's another question.. I re-sized my partitions to make better use of space, based on how Karmic was using the disc. With 11.04, here's what I got:

legendre@legendre-Inspiron-8600:~$ df -h
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda5 2.2G 365M 1.8G 18% /
    none 621M 660K 620M 1% /dev
    none 627M 1.8M 626M 1% /dev/shm
    none 627M 92K 627M 1% /var/run
    none 627M 0 627M 0% /var/lock
    /dev/sda1 179M 41M 128M 25% /boot
    /dev/sda9 29G 12G 15G 45% /home
    /dev/sda6 4.6G 2.0G 2.5G 45% /usr
    /dev/sda7 938M 674M 217M 76% /var
    legendre@legendre-Inspiron-8600:~$

Look at how heavily /var is being used.. it was only 200-300MB previously. Any idea wtf is using so much space in /var?
    •  
      CommentAuthorgenesis

Posted By: timetrumpet@genesis

Aside from general familiarity, is there anything specifically not working now, or applications you want a steer towards to perform a specific task?

right now i'm trying to figure out how to install downloaded software....like utorrent, winamp and opera browser....it's going slowly....so far with little to no success...i lost the download path ,it's not there where it should be...lol....but i'm cool and patient at the moment...
    •  
      CommentAuthorlegendre

Oh - and the jackass installer kept complaining that my / part. was < 2.4G.. and this could cause an install failure, etc. So I sized it up to 2.4, and look how little it's actually using!

Seems that the installer is too damn dumb to realize that I had multiple partitions, and wasn't installing the whole OS to /.. so now I have a wasted GB down there, on a tiny little 40GB drive.

Grrr...
    •  
      CommentAuthortimetrumpet

@genesis

Are you looking for it in the Software Center first? I'd suggest doing that first before heading off to sites from search result.

Some of them almost certainly won't be there, but it's the easiest option for those that are.

ETA:

Opera isn't there.

There should already be a torrent client installed ("Transmission") which you can see by typing "torrent" into the search box in Software Center

If you want Winamp skin support and something more lighweight than Banshee, search for "mp3" in the SC and install "audacious"
    @l: Temp files from the install? Recovery to the previous version? I dunno... you've got a lot more devices than I've got.
    Here's my output from df:
    null@null-aleph:~$ df -h
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda1 143G 100G 35G 75% /
    none 1003M 380K 1002M 1% /dev
    none 1007M 460K 1006M 1% /dev/shm
    none 1007M 304K 1007M 1% /var/run
    none 1007M 0 1007M 0% /var/lock
    none 1007M 0 1007M 0% /lib/init/rw
    none 143G 100G 35G 75% /var/lib/ureadahead/debugfs
    /dev/sr0 7.1G 7.1G 0 100% /media/cdrom1
    null@null-aleph:~$
    •  
      CommentAuthorlegendre

@Al

It was a clean install, so no recovery stuff.. as for temp files, they should have been axed when I rebooted.. but nothing changed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgenesis

Are you looking for it in the Software Center first? I'd suggest doing that first before heading off to sites from search result.

Some of them almost certainly won't be there, but it's the easiest option for those that are.
    winamp and opera is not there(checked twice)....as to utorrent it gives me some Ktorrent...but i want utorrent....also i'm not sure how to install my downloads,since software centre seems not to have "browse" feature...
    •  
      CommentAuthorlegendre

/var/cache/apt is 400MB.. any idea why, or how/if it can be fixed?
    •  
      CommentAuthorlegendre

@genesis

Winamp is a Windows software, we have our own softwares (many) for the same purpose.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin

Aside from general familiarity, is there anything specifically not working now, or applications you want a steer towards to perform a specific task?

right now i'm trying to figure out how to install downloaded software....like utorrent, winamp and opera browser....it's going slowly....so far with little to no success...i lost the download path ,it's not there where it should be...lol....but i'm cool and patient at the moment...

Heh....
    I don't think your WinAmp will satisfy you with Linux. Use "VLC" for your media player needs, you'll never go back.
    But if you really need WinAmp you can try it under WINE.
    Install WINE first.
    WINE can be installed from the Ubuntu Software Center.

Use the Synaptic Package Manager to search for and install odd software that doesn't appear in the "add applications" list.

System>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager, then put your software's name into the search window.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgenesis

Posted By: legendre@genesis

Winamp is a Windows software, we have our own softwares (many) for the same purpose.
    well google tells me there is a winamp 3.0 for linux...i just want something that i know that works for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgenesis

Posted By: alsetalokinUse "VLC" for your media player needs, you'll never go back.
    i've used VLC under windows....never liked it though...

Posted By: alsetalokinSystem>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager, then put your software's name into the search window.
    ok,thanks...
    •  
      CommentAuthorlegendre

There are also a number of torrent clients for Linux..

I see that there is a version of uTorrent, but it runs as a daemon and control is via a web browser. The docs are very complete, except they FORGOT to mention which port it listens on by default.. lol!

winamp and opera is not there(checked twice)....as to utorrent it gives me some Ktorrent...but i want utorrent....also i'm not sure how to install my downloads,since software centre seems not to have "browse" feature...

If you look in your downloads folder and right click on the downloaded file you should get some options?
    Posted By: genesisalso i'm not sure how to install my downloads,since software centre seems not to have "browse" feature...

Huh?
    Is 11 that different from 10?
    I select Applications menu, "Ubuntu Software Center" is at the bottom. I click on that, I get a window with a pane on the left that gives me a tree including "Get Software" and under that is the "Provided by Ubuntu" branch... when I select that I see a list on the right, alphebetised scrollable and searchable, of all the apps in there. If I select "installed software" from the left pane I see what I've already got.
    To install from this window, just select the item you want, an "Install" button appears in the item description, and press that. It installs. If it then does not appear as an icon in an Applications sub-menu, right-click on the Applications, then select "Edit Menus".... you'll figure it out from there.

If you "download" a software package that ends in a .deb or .gz or .rpm extension and saved that as a file, there is a different procedure for installing that. Right-clicking on the filename will give you a context menu.
    @al

Also absent on the SC in my new 11 installation
    •  
      CommentAuthorlegendre

Huh?

Just type the name of the software into the upper right text box in the SC.