Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Posted By: legendreHuh?

Just type the name of the software into the upper right text box in the SC.

@genesis is referring to packages that he's already downloaded directly through his browser, not straightforward access through SC
    You could try qmmp
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YT3oUjfTuc
    It appears in the Package Manager and I'm installing it right now, even though I use VLC almost exclusively for media playing, except for HDTV, where I use Me-TV.

OK, Qmmp installed rapidly, appears in the Sound&Video submenu under Applications, it works (I just dragged an mp3 file from a folder and dropped it onto qmmp's window) and does look a lot like WinAmp and is supposed to be compatible with skins and playlist files from WinAmp.
    The agony of choice
    •  
      CommentAuthorlegendre
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2011

@genesis

I got uTorrent (native Linux) working. Let me know if you want to set it up.. it's actually quite easy, just that there's not a "quick start" guide and you actually have to read through the docs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

Posted By: alsetalokinLook--it's more like an Apple Mac every day.... !!

About time this app appeared:

•  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2011 edited

Posted By: timetrumpet
    Posted By: legendreHuh?

Just type the name of the software into the upper right text box in the SC.

@genesis is referring to packages that he's already downloaded directly through his browser, not straightforward access through SC

Yes... not the recommended way for a novice to install software, but....

There is no browse window in the SC, because it doesn't work that way. If you install by downloading a .deb or .rpm or other compressed archive containing an app and its associated files, you have to use a different system. You need to keep track of where your downloaded files go, obviously; this is no different from any other OS.

Use "Nautilus" or whatever file manager you've got to find the downloaded files. Then right-click on the .deb file , at the top of the context menu you should see "open with GDebi Package Installer" or similar. Left-click and proceed.

You may or may not need to install the icon in your menus manually as I detailed before, or there may not even be an icon... you may need to run the installed program from the dreaded Command Line by typing its name into a Terminal prompt. (If this is the case, don't worry... once you know the program runs you can make a little script file that will start it from an icon on the desktop...)
    •  
      CommentAuthorgenesis

Posted By:timetrumpet If you look in your downloads folder and right click on the downloaded file you should get some options?
    yeah...to unpack or select the SW to open

Posted By: alsetalokinIf you "download" a software package that ends in a .deb or .gz or .rpm extension and saved that as a file, there is a different procedure for installing that. Right-clicking on the filename will give you a context menu.
    thanks that was very helpfull...lol
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin

Posted By: genesis
    Posted By:timetrumpetIf you look in your downloads folder and right click on the downloaded file you should get some options?
    yeah...to unpack or select the SW to open

Posted By: alsetalokinIf you "download" a software package that ends in a .deb or .gz or .rpm extension and saved that as a file, there is a different procedure for installing that. Right-clicking on the filename will give you a context menu.
    thanks that was very helpfull...lol

You are saying that right-clicking on a .deb file does NOT give you the "GDebi Package Installer" as an option?

EDIT: It certainly should have installed gdebi package installer automatically but if you check the Synaptic Package Manager you can find out if it's installed, and install it if it's not.
    •  
      CommentAuthortimetrumpet

I'll just check that in this here Natty install...

ETA

Download Opera from Opera.com

Browse to it in the Downloads folder

Right Click

* Open With Ubuntu Software Center
    * Open With Archive Manager
    * Open With Other Application...

But SC will do just fine. Select. SC comes to foreground. Click "Install". Done.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgenesis

Posted By: legendre@genesis

I got uTorrent (native Linux) working. Let me know if you want to set it up.. it's actually quite easy, just that there's not a "quick start" guide and you actually have to read through the docs.
    do you mean Ktorrent? yes i'd like to set up if it is utorrent
    •  
      CommentAuthorgenesis

Posted By: alsetalokin
    You are saying that right-clicking on a .deb file does NOT give you the "GDebi Package Installer" as an option?

no, i'm getting tar.gz file which likes to open via "evolution mail and calendar"...it realy is somkinda fucking stupidity...for God sake what the hell has the calendar to do with this!!!???...i've no idea why the fuck it has to be so complicated to create an installation package...like a nice exe file...m?
    •  
      CommentAuthorlegendre

No, I mean uTorrent. But the way it's handled on Linux is different, and actually much better / more flexible. It runs as a server daemon, and you control / access it via your web browser (Firefox or whatever).

Go here http://www.utorrent.com/downloads/linux and download it.

Then browse to your Downloads directory and un-tar the file (right-click, Extract Here).

Enter the newly created dir and double-click "utserver" - it seems like nothing happens, which is OK.

Now point your browser at http://127.0.0.1:8080/gui/

Username "admin" Password (none)

Bingo.
    @genesis

One step at a time. Where did you get the installation file and what it it called, exactly?
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin

@genesis... yah, calm down. The .tar.gz format is used for compressing and sending big files or groups of files like a bunch of emails..... and also for the bunches of binary and text files that one needs to "build" an application for Linux. This is usually NOT what a novice wants to do. Try to find .deb or .rpm files which will usually have pre-compiled functional installable versions of the software specific to your Linux flavor.

When searching teh internest google for apps, use
    Ubuntu appname for the search string where appname is your desired software.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgenesis

Posted By: timetrumpetI'll just check that in this here Natty install...

ETA

Download Opera from Opera.com

Browse to it in the Downloads folder

Right Click

* Open With Ubuntu Software Center
    * Open With Archive Manager
    * Open With Other Application...

But SC will do just fine. Select. SC comes to foreground. Click "Install". Done.

ha....i have to say the sequence and NO automatic window switch is something unguessable to me....but finally opera is installed.....
    •  
      CommentAuthortimetrumpet

@genesis

Hoorah! What's left now?

ETA: I think if you'd just double-clicked on the .deb file, it would have done that automatically, so not unlike double-clicking on an executable or .msi you've downloaded. Anyway, first time always hurts a bit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgenesis

ok,Folks..i think i finally got it.....thanks for your patience ...i'll do it on my own now......i'll probably have some questions later < http://i55.tinypic.com/jzk7ih.png >
    Posted By: legendreNo, I mean uTorrent. But the way it's handled on Linux is different, and actually much better / more flexible. It runs as a server daemon, and you control / access it via your web browser (Firefox or whatever).

Go herehttp://www.utorrent.com/downloads/linuxand download it.

Then browse to your Downloads directory and un-tar the file (right-click, Extract Here).

Enter the newly created dir and double-click "utserver" - it seems like nothing happens, which is OK.

Now point your browser athttp://127.0.0.1:8080/gui/

Bingo.

That's bery bery weird. My security really doesn't like that, but it does seem to work.

What's wrong with installing one of the actual Ubuntu torrent client packages, like torrentflux, ktorrent, azureus, or even bittorrent, all listed in the SPM?
    •  
      CommentAuthorlegendre

What didn't your security like? Requesting local resources from a webpage?

But to answer your question: Because that's what genesis asked for..

And yes, there are plenty other excellent torrent clients in the repos.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgenesis

Posted By: legendreNo, I mean uTorrent. But the way it's handled on Linux is different, and actually much better / more flexible. It runs as a server daemon, and you control / access it via your web browser (Firefox or whatever).

Go herehttp://www.utorrent.com/downloads/linuxand download it.

Now point your browser athttp://127.0.0.1:8080/gui/

Bingo.
    that worked,thanks....i think i'll have to find another torrent sw though...lol