Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorgenesis
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2011

also i think i'll have to do the proper install first....otherwise it all too slow for me....
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

Posted By: genesisalso i think i'll have to do the proper install first....otherwise it all too slow for me....

You might want to consider Mint if you do. I know it is not exactly the most popular choice here, but it does come with all the codecs etc. I'm Linux-clueless, and I find I get on very well with Mint 11.
    Posted By: legendreWhat didn't your security like? Requesting local resources from a webpage?
    Yep.

But to answer your question: Because that's what genesis asked for..
    Yes.... sorry... I just thought it might be easier in the long run to use apps that actually are supplied with/for the OS in question, even if they might not be exactly what the new user is used to. I don't use torrent services myself so I probably should have stayed out of that part of the conversation.

And yes, there are plenty other excellent torrent clients in the repos.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgenesis

Posted By: Duracell
    Posted By: genesisalso i think i'll have to do the proper install first....otherwise it all too slow for me....

You might want to consider Mint if you do. I know it is not exactly the most popular choice here, but it does come with all the codecs etc. I'm Linux-clueless, and I find I get on very well with Mint 11.
    thanks for a suggestion...i've tried mint and ubuntu before...i usually had to remove them because i couldn't get my Wlan card to work....now this ver of Ubuntu seems to have a proper HW support for my netbook....but i have to say that....installing something which is not included in the SW manager is a bit.......horrible...at the moment
    •  
      CommentAuthorlegendre
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2011 edited

You might be interested to know..

I celebrate every new Linux install by viewing Triumph of the Will on its A/V player. It really drives home that feeling of a fresh start, a bright new future with unlimited possibilities - thanks to thronging crowds of enthusiastic believers and strong leadership.
    @genesis

I urge you to use exactly the same distribution if you go for a fresh install - maximum commonality in the processes and likely more people able to duplicate any problems if you encounter them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: legendreI celebrate every new Linux install by viewingTriumph of the Willon its A/V player.

You want to be careful with that. Leni managed to derail the entire German nation with it.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

MY is going to be spewing her kawfy all over the place.

Posted By: legendreYou might be interested to know..

I celebrate every new Linux install by viewingTriumph of the Willon its A/V player. It really drives home that feeling of a fresh start, a bright new future with unlimited possibilities - thanks to thronging crowds of enthusiastic believers and strong leadership.

I think you might be nearly as crazy as I think you are...

(Leni is actually one of my photographer-goddesses; I admire her work very much.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorgenesis

Posted By: alsetalokin
    OK, Qmmp installed rapidly, appears in the Sound&Video submenu under Applications
    i like it even better than winamp,thanks Al...i wonder does it work for windows...
    •  
      CommentAuthorgenesis

i have to say i absolutely cannot blame Mary for not liking linux...
    •  
      CommentAuthorlegendre

Posted By: genesisi have to say i absolutely cannot blame Mary for not liking linux...

But why? Is it the "horrible user experience"?
    •  
      CommentAuthorlegendre

@Anyone

How do I migrate my Firefox bookmarks from my old install to the new one?

I have a complete copy of my old homedir, which contains the .mozilla/Firefox/ stuff.. but I can't find the bookmark file.

Actually, I *thought* I'd found it, but the new FF just seems to ignore it. Help.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

i have to say i absolutely cannot blame Mary for not liking linux...
    I admit I was not particularly careful to choose the best distro or the best way to install it but basically, what happened here is sort of what I experienced and the part I didn't experience, I could sort of see coming down the line. While the huge mass of corporations and agencies that use Windows aren't enough to insure user friendliness, by this time, they have enough influence to keep Microsoft a tiny bit honest. No such controls exist with free programs. Any free programs (though I do like and use several but with continuing caution and I save old versions just in case).
    •  
      CommentAuthorgenesis

Posted By: legendre Is it the "horrible user experience"?
    hmm...no,not really(apart from few things),but i can only imagine what would it cost to make her HW really fully functional in this OS and also get the right applications and all the necessary compatibilities with windows etc....
    Posted By: maryyugo
    MY is going to be spewing her kawfy all over the place.

LOL... no offense.... but at last I now have a face to attach to the MaryYugo identity.....

...a very cute face, by the way....
    On source FF

Bookmarks -> Organize Bookmarks -> Import and Backup -> Backup

take then .json file and then

On destination FF

Bookmarks -> Organize Bookmarks -> Import and Backup -> Restore -> Choose file
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin

Edit: oops sorry, ignore, use TT's method.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlegendre

I can't, the old FF is long gone.. all I have is the .mozilla dir (which contains all of my config stuff)
    •  
      CommentAuthorlegendre

Ok, so I found a machine with an old FF install. I put the places.squlite file in the .mozilla dir, and my bookmarks appeared. Then I exported them to the .json file, and copied it to the new-install machine.

But... but.. the new firefox has no "Organize Bookmarks" option.. I don't see how to restore them.