Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthormrflora
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2011

You may remember a couple of years back, somebody claimed to be able to "burn" saltwater with microwaves. Well, just for grins, I put a small glass jar (no lid) full of a saturated NaCl/water mixture into an ordinary 700W microwave oven and turned it on high. After it warmed up there was a considerable amount of bubbling inside the jar, and occasionally a brief yellow flash. The flash did NOT look like a spark, but rather seemed to be a volume phenomenon. Any idea what it could have been?

Regards,
    M.R.F.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2011 edited

Yellow is the characteristic color of a sodium flame.

Try putting a few grains of table salt on a MW safe plate and stick it in there. Keep your hand on the Off button. (I haven't tried this, but I hypothesize thusly: the yellow flash you observed was the plasma from burning of a bit of solid NaCl deposited by evaporation of the boiling water. See no yellow flash from the table salt, look for another explanation.)

Microwaves can be a lot of fun. You can get a cheap one to play with at the Goodwill so that SWMBO can still cook. Try putting a bit of water in a metal bottlecap with a pointed screw sticking up out of the water, inside a lamp chimney, in the MW. Or a small, lit candle.

Wear safety glasses just in case.
    •  
      CommentAuthorterry1094
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2011 edited

I find used microwave ovens in yard sales for $5 US. Fun for making ball lightning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgMnsdqHwew

BTW, it can cause cosmetic damage to the oven. Enough to piss off your wifey.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2011 edited

I got nice yellow flashes just now by sprinkling a few grains of table salt on a disposable plastic cup lid , sitting on a glass bowl to elevate it in the MW. With totally dry salt I didn't see anything. Adding a few drops of water produced the yellow flashes as the droplets evaporated, and the residue wasn't grains any more but salt dust.
    Posted By: terry1094I find used microwave ovens in yard sales for $5 US. Fun for making ball lightning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgMnsdqHwew
    [embed width=425 height=344 allowfullscreen=true src=http://www.youtube.com/v/BgMnsdqHwew&hl=en&fs=1&ap=%2526fmt%3D18 type=application/x-shockwave-flash bgcolor=#000000 allowscriptaccess=always][/embed]

BTW, it can cause cosmetic damage to the oven. Enough to piss off your wifey.

Yup, there you go. That's an inverted Pyrex measuring cup (but they can break as well so be careful) and something like what I described above to generate the initial plasma, which will then grow and rise. If you can find a short oil lamp chimney (I see them all the time at thrift stores for a dollar) they are good for this experiment too.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2019

Speaking of "crazy", Clive has evidently tired of disassembling Poundland gadgets and has turned to electrocution.

The power of YouTube...
    That will probably get pulled, once the YT censors notice it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2019 edited

•  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

Tripping Nemo:

It’s Tea Time: Interference of Ayahuasca Brew on Discriminative Learning in Zebrafish

Abstract:

Ayahuasca is a psychoactive brew traditionally used in shamanistic and vegetalistic rituals and has recently received lot of attention due to potential cognitive benefits. Ayahuasca effects are caused by the synergistic interaction of β-carbolines (harmine, harmaline and tetrahydroarmine) contained in Banisteriopsis caapi stalks combined with the N,N-dimethyltryptamine (DMT) from Psychotria viridis leaves, a potent agonist to serotonin (5-HT) receptors. The present study approaches the effects of chronic and acute exposure to two Ayahuasca concentrations (0.1 and 0.5 ml/L) on the cognitive ability to discriminate objects in a one-trial learning task in zebrafish. Based on the combination of concentrations and exposure regimens, we divided adult zebrafish in five treatment groups: acute 0.1 and 0.5 ml/L, chronic 0.1 and 0.5 ml/L, and control 0.0 (n = 20 for each group). Then we tested them in a memory task of object discrimination. Acute Ayahuasca exposed groups performed similarly to the control group, however chronically treated fish (13 days) presented both impaired discriminative performance and locomotor alterations. Overall, these results indicate that Ayahuasca is a potent psychoactive drug that, in chronic exposure, negatively affects mnemonic parameters in zebrafish. In single exposure it does not affects cognitive performance, but the higher concentration (0.5) affected locomotion. Moreover, we reinforce the importance of the zebrafish for behavioral pharmacological studies of drug screening, in special to psychedelic drug research.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: goatcheezOverall, these results indicate that Ayahuasca is a potent psychoactive drug that, in chronic exposure, negatively affects mnemonic parameters in zebrafish.

Well I'm glad that's settled at last.
    Ah, the good old psychophysics lab gradrats and their whacky experimentation. Mostly just an excuse to have lab-grade ketamine and DMT around for the grad students to... er... use in their experiments.
    • CommentAuthortensor

Posted By: Angus
    Posted By: goatcheezOverall, these results indicate that Ayahuasca is a potent psychoactive drug that, in chronic exposure, negatively affects mnemonic parameters in zebrafish.

Well I'm glad that's settled at last.

I wonder if the fish saw the machine elves?
    I wonder what would happen to an octopus, especially its skin colouring
    I wonder what would happen if the octopus took salvia divinorum.