Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2018 edited

Probably. But I'd like to see 3d printed tension.

I think you have to do it like this: the print head prints an ooze which contains a temporary binder. The result is an object but in a friable state, like "greenware". Then the whole thing is placed in water, or perhaps water is sprayed upon it, which displaces/reacts with the temporary binder, resulting, after curing, in a fully concreted thing.

I've been thinking about geopolymers lately. From the general rat habitat in which I live, I've dug up a cheap Mexican metate set that is of a material indistinguishable from coarse black granite. I know these things aren't carved from living rock -- at least I think they aren't -- so they must be molded in some kind of fluid state then allowed to cure like concrete. Or be fired like ceramic. Maybe.

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2018

Par'n ignorance but what is a metate set?
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2018 edited

Mortar and Pestle? (?<- minimal google).
    Well... yes. But a particular kind of M&P. Very coarse grinding surfaces. I use mine (virtually identical to the photo I linked, but blacker and not chipped) for grinding spices, like black peppercorns or whole cloves. Nothing beats it. Traditionally, in larger sizes and in rectangular planform, they are used for grinding corn, for tortillas etc.

I have several actual M&P sets also, but they are not suitable for grinding spices at all, having fine porcelain grinding surfaces. If you need powdered salt for your zombie powder, though... they are ideal.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Posted By: alsetalokinI have several actual M&P sets also, but they are not suitable for grinding spices at all, having fine porcelain grinding surfaces. If you need powdered salt for your zombie powder, though... they are ideal.

MP sets can be as rough or smooth as as you like (I don't think it is mandatory that they are porcelain - fine or otherwise). I have a rough granite thing. I've never really had an issue with any though - chop, crush - few herbs or spices need to be ground to a fine powder but many benefit from a bit of crushing.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Got any examples of 5/8" printed steel rebar?
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

I saw some in a building site couldn't decipher what was printed on it though.
    I buy powdered spices. Basta, finito.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2019

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2019

Thermal Lithography Better Than Electron Beams and Can Be Scaled to Industrial Levels.

https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2019/01/thermal-lithography-made-better-2d-transistors-than-electron-beam-lithography.html
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2019

How is that different from standard stereolithography?

Stereolith is very' expensive, but fun to watch.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2019

I have some rather nice little figurines of my family done by instant 3D capture and stereolithography (in colour) by a commercial outfit in Toronto. It's not really new, as Asterix points out.
    Now let's see them reconstitute the original from the miniature copy.
    Just add water and stir
    Any errors in this process must be from the originals:)
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2019

Functional human body parts built using 3D-bioprinting technique.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/306631.php
    Congratulations! You've just invented the TKToothPrinter. Just strap this unit into your mouth, plug it in to any USB 3.0 power/data source, and in 36 hours you too can have a completely new set of teeth. Comes in three popular flavours too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2019

Grape, peppermint and bubblegum?
    No giraffe anal gland?
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2019 edited

I wouldn't worry about that until you've gotten past the failure modes. Like when it runs out of dental filament and starts using your skull for raw material, or when it has a buffer overflow and starts installing teeth all down your throat.