Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorLakes
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2013

Posted By: TrimInhabitat

NASA Backs Star Trek-Style Replicator That Could 3D Print Pizza In Space!

http://inhabitat.com/nasa-backs-star-trek-style-replicator-that-could-3d-print-pizza-in-space/

"Print-A-Pizza" coming to vending machine near you. SOON! ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2013

DM

UK firm Maplin sells 3d printer for £700 in high street.

I am tempted but I am really waiting for a Logo like turtle with some 'Doodlers' attached so you are not limited to a small working area, 20cm³ printable area in this case.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2358357/Velleman-K8200-First-3D-printer-available-high-street-goes-sale-700.html?ico=sciencetech^headlines
    • CommentAuthorLakes

I`ll wait for the 3D printer/vending machine in Tesco's, much better resolution. ;)

"Need a hand with that?", No thanks, it's printing one for me. :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Why do you want a plastic hand?
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

• CommentAuthorLakes
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2013

Posted By: TrimWhy do you want a plastic hand?
    Having an extra hand to hand is always handy you know.
    Actually, building robot parts with this is a handy [sic] app
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2013

NW

Desktop printing at the nano level could revolutionize nanotechnology fabrication.

http://www.nanowerk.com/news2/newsid=31440.php
    Well, sure. You should be able to use your 3d printer to print a smaller version of itself. Then keep doing that, all the way down. Pretty soon all loose matter on the planet will be turned into tiny selfreplicating printers.
    Honey, I printed the kids!
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Posted By: alsetalokinWell, sure. You should be able to use your 3d printer to print a smaller version of itself. Then keep doing that, all the way down. Pretty soon all loose matter on the planet will be turned into tiny selfreplicating printers.

The trouble with that scenario is that intelligent bacteria will be able to reverse the procedure and dominant our world even more than they do now.
    Maybe they already have, and we are just dumb monkey bodies, inhabited by collective bacteria minds running inside our little-understood astrocytes and neuroglia.
    I suddenly have the strange impulse to spit into the mouths of strangers
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Well there already more 'foreign cells' in our body than what our own germ cells produced.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2013

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanI suddenly have the strange impulse to spit into the mouths of strangers

Thanks be for the internets!
    • CommentAuthorLakes
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2013

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanI suddenly have the strange impulse to spit into the mouths of strangers
    EEEWWWWWWWWW!!!
    • CommentAuthorkorkskrew
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2013

Inside thoughts Andrew. Inside thoughts.
    Not me guv, honest it ain't. It's me bacteeeeria, mate; they're playing up summink terrible these days.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2013

Posted By: TrimtE

Patterns in 3D-printed objects could replace bar codes.

http://www.theengineer.co.uk/channels/production-engineering/news/patterns-in-3d-printed-objects-could-replace-bar-codes/1016776.article

I read an article some time ago that detailed how the FBI was able to identify and trace a suspect by the unique pattern made by the faded coloration along the inside leg seams of his Levis. It's like a "barcode" or fingerprint that is unique to an individual pair of jeans, and even captures a chunk of time, as the pattern changes a bit with every washing.