Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2018

Posted By: TrimAirship to orbit.
    https://space.stackexchange.com/questions/6548/is-the-airship-to-orbit-mission-profile-feasible

MIT has just shown that volume production of graphene is possible, and that might be the saving grace of this idea. When I ran spreadsheets a few years ago, using a pretty decent atmospheric model, I couldn't get much beyond 100 Km.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2018

That could still be good enough for a tether pickup.

Did you consider a helium airship heated by groundbased beams?
    No beamed power
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2018

Two hot helium airships with a cargo pod strung out on a tether between them, that could be picked up by an orbital tether.

The orbital tether would also collect bags of lunar dust to help it maintain orbit by dropping it on Angus when it has been received from an electrical catapult on the moon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Glad to be of service.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

I almost could have scored a 'half angus' but this thread is already too off-topic to add something intentionally unrelated.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2018

Posted By: AngusGlad to be of service.

All that helium three, you will be so rich.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

@Andrew

How thin is the atmosphere at a hundred K?

Would ESA air breathing ion engine work at that attitude, it is designed to work at double that?

AIR-BREATHING ION THRUSTER

http://www.esa.int/spaceinimages/Images/2018/03/Air-breathing_ion_thruster
    Yes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2018 edited

Thanks.

So we need to build a sandpaper type micro rectenna skin for the airships that can turn microwaves into electricity and get the airships to circle the earth a few times to get into orbit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: TrimThanks.

So we need to build a sandpaper type micro rectenna skin for the airships that can turn microwaves into electricity and get the airships to circle the earth a few times to get into orbit.

How do you keep the beam aimed at the airship without frying the avionics of random aircraft?
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Using a maser and telling aircraft where it is, they shouldn't be flying if they are that dumb.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2018 edited

Posted By: TrimUsing a maser and telling aircraft where it is, they shouldn't be flying if they are that dumb.

Skeptical Ha!!!!!!!!

You don't need the maser, just a big steerable antenna. I have personally seen an aircraft in flight powered by a microwave beam. It's not something you forget, unless you are considering it as a serious proposition.
    And no toasters need be carried.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Posted By: AngusYou don't need the maser, just a big steerable antenna. I have personally seen an aircraft in flight powered by a microwave beam. It's not something you forget, unless you are considering it as a serious proposition.

I suspect that wayward birds aren't likely to forget it either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2018

Okay, as the idea behind airships to orbit is that they start from a floating station above winds and clouds (and birds) they should receive longer lasting sunlight, IF solar cells can be made lightweight enough then maybe sunshine would do.

I prefer microwaves.

And of course orbital rings, momex tethers, and startrams.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2018 edited

Posted By: TrimAnd of course orbital rings, momex tethers, and startrams.

And you should see what's in her other drawer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2018

Old love letters from you?