Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2021

s00n.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2021

Posted By: Asterixs00n.

That's only if you pay the premium. Otherwise it will take longer than that.
    It helps if you have coupons.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2021

Andrew reckons this is a scam what do you think?

Helion raises billions promising net electricity from fusion by 2024.

https://newatlas.com/energy/helion-net-electricity-nuclear-fusion-polaris/
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2021

Strangely enough though, net electricity generation isn't actually the main goal of the Polaris prototype. The electricity will merely be a welcome byproduct of the system's main goal: producing helium-3 fuel by smashing deuterium atoms together.

Even if it doesn't generate electricity, it will be viewed as a success if it produces lots of helium-3.

Maybe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2021 edited

How easy is it to collect helium three from the moon before the Chinese.

As you know it should be very useful for aneurtronic fusion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2021

Seemstobe a breakthrough in putting energy in, not getting it out.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2021 edited

See Sabine on fusion energy yield. There's a long way to go there.
    Baby steps.
    China's "artificial sun" has set a new world record after superheating a loop of plasma to temperatures five times hotter than the sun for more than 17 minutes, state media reported.

https://www.livescience.com/chinas-1-trillion-artificial-sun-fusion-reactor-just-got-five-times-hotter-than-the-sun
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTime1 day ago

Lets hope all goes well.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTime1 day ago

I looked at the video (who the heck uses a hillbilly fit-all when tightening what looks to be thousands of compression fittings? Use the right tool-- a fixed open-end wrench.)

But nothing substantive in the squib to make me thing that they're going to get a COP of 6+.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTime23 hours ago

Posted By: AsterixI looked at the video (who the heck uses a hillbilly fit-all when tightening what looks to be thousands of compression fittings? Use the right tool-- a fixed open-end wrench.)

But nothing substantive in the squib to make me thing that they're going to get a COP of 6+.

Which video? I don't see anyone tightening bolts in the GF one, and I don't get how there can be a coefficient of performance for a fusion reactor.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTime22 hours ago edited

Video

Gal ttweakng brass fittings on the thing--went by too fast, however. It's clear that she was using a box wrench going through it in slo-mo. Sorryâ„¢.

But I'd define COP as energy out/energy in in this case. Like Sabine observed, whether or not something is actually feasible commercially depends on a lot more than just above break-even.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTime21 hours ago

Yeah - I guess COP has meaning here. I was more used to it in HVAC context.
    The relevant metric for fusion is the triple product of temperature, lifetime, and another one I forgot. Anyone?

Nvm
    https://www.fusionenergybase.com/article/measuring-progress-in-fusion-energy-the-triple-products
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTime5 hours ago

The bottom line is did it cost you more to turn it on than the output was worth. The neutron yield vs the plasma temperature etc. is the sneaky weasel- metric Sabina warned us about.
    I'm looking at the physics and the triple product is a sine qua non for Sabine's "system Q".