Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2020 edited

Indeed it does [1]. And doesn't [2]. My point as usual is that it is just stupid and nonproductive to lay blame on one supplier of a noxious substance that everybody is addicted to. If you actually want things to change, you have to cure the addiction.

A hundred years of locking up drug pushers has taught us this. Locking up the cigarettes at the till hasn't stopped smoking either.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2020

That almost sounds like an excuse for corruption.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

You'd have to explain that to my merely mortal understanding.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

No. You are over eighteen years old.De-explanatory advice is superfluous.

Grow up, old man :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Well argued, sir! I can see you have put some careful thought into your prejudices.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

"SRY"?
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

I still don't understand why you are so defensive of canadian atrocities against nature. Every country does, to some extent, for some almost always very convoluted reasoning. But...
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

@Angus

Now if you could get Brilliant light power to work I would dig up your portion for you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: aber0derI still don't understand why you are so defensive of canadian atrocities against nature. Every country does, to some extent, for some almost always very convoluted reasoning. But...

Not guilty. I'm interested in finding a solution to the problem with some chance of working. I'm also pissed off with the virtue signalling about the Alberta oil sands, both here and around the world.

The greatest carbon intensity in oil production comes from flaring. Algeria is the world's overall worst carbon generator in oil production. Do I see international outcry about that? No. Fracking seems to produce lots of methane, which is even worse. I haven't heard much about that either.

Canada and other heavy oil sources are a middle-grade problem, no doubt. But you aren't going to stop anything because of your horror at the mucky mess the mining makes, transmogrified into a misconception about the carbon generation.

The ONLY way to stop somebody filling a demand, legally or illegally, cleanly or filthily, is to eliminate the demand. You cannot do it by force applied to the supplier. That should be painfully evident after prohibition, the war on drugs, etc. etc. There are two possibilities re oil: find some other way to generate all this energy we use, or use less energy. The useful activities, as opposed to proclaiming righteousness, are aimed at these goals.

As a final note, I suspect that there is nothing we can really do to avoid having a drastic impact on this planet if we insist on being as numerous and as energy hungry as we are.

Ref.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

An exercise to put things in perspective

Almost 1,500 ships displacing over 46 million GRT, or half the German merchant fleet, are operated from Hamburg. Germany owns 5.6% of world fleet. World shipping produces 1 billion tonnes of CO2. Thus Hamburg is responsible for 2.8% of 10^9=2.8x10^7 tonnes. Alberta oil mining produced 4.7x 10^7 tonnes in 2011.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Posted By: Angusvirtue signalling

Aha. Really? (asking for a not so close friend...)
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

...and after the topsoil has been replaced and the subsoil decontaminated, the Oilbertians will plant trees and flowers, right?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

The Albertans could do that if they felt the cosmetic improvements were worth the money. Otherwise why does it matter and who else's business is it? In other news the world is full of abandoned oil wells that were drilled by long-ago defunct companies and nobody knows where they are, as they leak all kinds of crud into the environment. At least one knows where a great ugly strip mine is. You can see it from the air just like all the other strip mines.
    And you can only see it for a couple months a year anyhow, since the rest of the time it's covered in snow.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Well - it is if you stop digging.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

The west of the US is covered with superfund toxic mining sites, many of which were created by Canadian outfits. I guess the Oilbertians might as well follow suit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Yes, our miners work where they can, somewhat like the activites of ConocoPhillips, Exxon Mobil, Chevron in the oilsands.

This is a ridiculous discussion. We all agree that the combustion of fossil fuels is a problem, so why not focus on combusting them no more than enough to get us over the hump to find a different energy source. There isn't really an alternative avenue.

For example we could restrict the access of individual citizens to private transport, be it ICE or RCE. Is anybody willing to give up his car, or do we just hammer on the poor old oilsands in order to feel virtuous?
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2020

Move Over, Pot: Psychedelic Companies Are About to Go Public

(Bloomberg) -- The first companies developing medical treatments from psychedelic drugs like LSD, ketamine and the active ingredient in magic mushrooms are gearing up to list on Canadian stock exchanges.
    R
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2020

Just give us your money. Don't ask any questions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2020