Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorPJH
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2011

Posted By: AngusBut of course you have never had the great good fortune to sample Blue Grouse Ortega from the Cowichan Valley.

Canadian distilled tar?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

You'd be lucky.

But we'll sell you a better wine than you're used to if you care to come to Duncan to take it away.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Sell? Don't you mean give away?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDerrickA

Posted By: TrimSell? Don't you mean give away?

It is a giveaway. At only $59 per bottle (Canadian), you can take home world champion ice tar.
    http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=947e513b-6ad6-4307-98a1-14f5abfbb763
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2011 edited

Oh. Puh-leeze!
    I am only talking about drinkable whites you lot can afford.
    As for Mission Hill . . . well, if you can't make it out to the island, what more can you expect?
    •  
      CommentAuthorPJH

Posted By: Angusyou lot

A derogatory collective term?

"Canadian wine" also a derogatory collective term?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDerrickA

Posted By: Anguswell, if you can't make it out to the island, what more can you expect?

Actually, I did make it out to the island because I found a wonderful house to squat, er, stay in, because I knew the owners were away. Thanks to the internet, I was able to move to classy house, with a fine view of the local golf course. I must say, the complimentary all you can drink liquor cabinet has a knockout selection, and even includes some fine local wines (like Blue Grouse Ortega), and single malts. I like the decor too, lots of sailing/travel souvenirs, though the weird Northern Electric memorabilia doesn't exactly turn me on. I'll probably stay a few days, till the booze runs out, or the neighbors complain about Dimmu Borgir snarling from the stereo at 3:00 AM. BTW, the prostitute shooting up heroin next to me, likes the place too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Enjoy.

Where the hell did you find the Ortega? There wasn't supposed to be any left!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThicket

Canadian wine has gotten a lot better in the last 20 years. Niagara wines used to be so weak that distilled water could give them a run for their money. The wine still isn't world class but it's very drinkable, especially the whites. The Niagara region has decent ice wine. B.C. wines are very good, but provincial regulations mean that most cannot be exported, even to other parts of Canada.

There's this small winery in Stony Plain, Alberta just west of Edmonton. It's called Wolf Wineries. If you ever have a chance to try their wine, don't. It's arguably the worst commercial wine I've ever had. It's almost as bad as the homemade Corunna Plum wine I made in the late 1970s. That batch was decent as a solvent, as long as red wine stains weren't a problem.

I like Australian and New Zealand wines. Chilean and South African wines are good too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Agreed - but the country does not even produce enough to meet domestic consumption, especially if the (stupid!) interprovincial trade barriers are removed. (I can never understand why we need the Provincial level of government anyway, but that's another argument.)

As for ice wine - I think Canada is now the world's largest producer, and presumably produces the best product judging by the fact that people are willing to pay $30,000 for a half-bottle of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorE-Man

Posted By: Thicket
    There's this small winery in Stony Plain, Alberta just west of Edmonton. It's called Wolf Wineries. If you ever have a chance to try their wine, don't. It's arguably the worst commercial wine I've ever had.

I was at the inlaws when they served a bottle of Cana Wedding wine they brought back from Israel or something. Absolutely horrible.
    I will bypass that stoney plain winery when I go by this Christmas.
    I am fond of some of the better German white wines and have found a few local whites that i quite like including some ice wines. Tried a 92CHATEAU D'YQUEM ( red ) was not impressed but I am not really a red wine person.
    Our local liquer outlet is basic and caters to the loggers not a good selection of wine (whine)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDerrickA

Posted By: ThicketCanadian wine has gotten a lot better in the last 20 years. Niagara wines used to be so weak that distilled water could give them a run for their money. The wine still isn't world class but it's very drinkable, especially the whites. The Niagara region has decent ice wine. B.C. wines are very good, but provincial regulations mean that most cannot be exported, even to other parts of Canada.

Does anyone remember Baby Duck or Strawberry Angel? B.C. wines used to be a laughing stock until growers ripped out the cheap (but hardy) vine varieties in the late 80’s, and replaced them with high quality vinifera types. Also, due to free trade agreements, BC winemakers became increasingly competitive, and started taking their craft much more seriously. The improvements over the last two decades have been nothing short of astonishing.

BTW, my parents know the owners of a small, but excellent, winery in Oliver B.C. Two of my favorites from their collection (though probably not easy to find outside B.C.):
    Gehringer Brothers Private Reserve Pinot Gris (2010)
    Gehringer Brothers Ehrenfelser (2010)
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

I will give those a try.

I certainly remember the Ontario version of Baby Duck-ghaaa!! (But not as bad as Calona). I also remember the first attempt at actual wine in Canada, Marechal Foch, without much affection.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2011

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2011

We believe that an instant nuclear strike is an alternative to a same-season relief well in the High Arctic. And it would warm things up a bit.
    • CommentAuthorCrastney
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2011

Niagara region ice wines are incredibly nice - very difficult (if not impossible) to obtain anywhere outside of Canada though, I have to rely on my cousin bringing me some over.
    I return the favour with my home brew plum and damson wine - she loves it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2011

Posted By: CrastneyI return the favour with my home brew plum and damson wine - she loves it.

I do hope it was a very rare and expensive home-made plum and damson wine. Just for fairness.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2013

Maybe we've finally got the bugger!
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2013 edited

If that doesn't speak to the irrelevancy of government, I don't know what does.

Except perhaps cricket.

Just think.... the most important thing Harper has done in seven years is to get accused of fiddling with an underling's expense account, by being in the room when another underling's lawyer decided it might be a good idea to give a big check to the first underling's laywer.