Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorenginerd
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2009

I used to know that I knew nothing, but I no longer can be sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDrackon

Wisdom comes from knowing there is no such thing
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2009 edited

Surgeons are doctors who do some things but know nothing.
    Internists are doctors who know some things but do nothing.
    Pathologists are doctors who know everything but too late.
    And psychiatrists are doctors who know nothing and do nothing.

(It's old)
    • CommentAuthorLazlo Toth

Seek those who seek the truth
    Run from those who have found it
    • CommentAuthortinker

He has cvome around a lot, Legendre. Alan.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: alsetalokin
    Posted By: Angus
    Posted By: tinkerI am a psychologist...so I know that we know nothing. T.

I am an engineer, so I know that psychologists know nothing. We are converging?

I am both a psychologist and an engineer. Therefore I know that I know nothing.
    Can you be certain?
    • CommentAuthorMorgenster

Posted By: tinkerBA (hons) 2.1

So you finished Bachelor level training with honors? or is that code for something else?
    And besides, could you tell me what scientific methodology courses you took? e.g. on how to set up double blind experiments correctly, how to make correct inferences from statistics, etc.
    legendre
    **He's come around, a bit. You might be surprised.** (referring to Babcat)

So, is he only 109% certain now?
    • CommentAuthortinker

Dear Morgenster. The BA psych I took for my own reasons and interest. I have never practised.

Apart from that I spent many years working as a research technician in high-tech engineering prototype development on a broad range of such delights as human tissue culture, density gradient ultracentrifuges (for Oak Ridge and Harwell and others) High-speed canning lines, aircraft adhesives and surface coatings and more. I have more qualifications than anybody should ever need - and you might imagine - I picked up a little knowledge about statistics and experimental protocols on the way. And taught them as an Academic for a mere 10 years.

What about you, Mr. Desperate 2 Belittle somebody via the internet? I sense a certain insecurity on your part... 2CSE's and a box of Lego (slightly chewed by the dog) ? Tinker
    I disagree with the viewpoint that says that true knowledge comes from knowing that we know nothing.

I would suggest that true wisdom comes from realizing that we can't be certain that we can know anything. This however does not rule out that we can know things, just that we can't be certain how well we know things. Summed up by - the only thing I can be sure of is that I can't be sure of anything.

BTW, this line of conversation has never gotten me laid at parties.
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep

Posted By: tinkerDear Morgenster. The BA psych I took for my own reasons and interest. I have never practised.

Well, then you can't refer to yourself as a psychologist then. It is a protected term and you must be registered with with the Health Professions Council in the UK. It's a profession, and having a degree does not make you a practitioner.

You can, however, call yourself a psychoanalyst. Anyone can claim to be a part of that bullshit.
    • CommentAuthortinker

I had membership of the BPS which accredits to the HPC. I recently allowed it to lapse - but could rejoin entirely without formality because of the time and place I qualified.... So I can call myself a Psychologist entirely legitimately and put up my brass plate if I so wished. Which I never have. T.
    •  
      CommentAuthorOneDrMan

I am OneDrMan

I would be wrong if I was sorry, but I'm not.

Baron Professor Dr. Dr. One, PhD, FRCS, SJ
    Is that "our" SJ? The Loyolan one?

Then shouldn't we call you "Father Baron Doctor Doctor"?

Neat. If your knife should slip, you can give last rites and get another publication, at the same time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2009 edited

What happened to the double doctor? That incarnation was never banned, surely?
    •  
      CommentAuthorOneDrMan

Posted By: alsetalokinIs that "our" SJ? The Loyolan one?

Then shouldn't we call you "Father Baron Doctor Doctor"?

Indeed you should, my son, at least until the prelacy comes through.

Monsignor Baron Professor Dr. Dr. One, PhD, FRCS, SJ

(this is unofficial. I'm just savouring.)