Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorskeptical
    • CommentTimeFeb 29th 2012

Posted By: AngusYou have trouble imagining that Sean somehow stumbled into a mess?

I vaguely remember that there was a website called www.mag-gen.com on which a guy (Philip Dunham) talked about his invention - a motor which got its power from permanent magnets. Interestingly the website's registrant (in 2004) was Sean McCarthy. There was, some time later, speculation that Sean / Steorn bought into Philip's "invention" in 2003/04 but by the time they figured it didn't work they already had investors and so just kept digging their hole deeper. I saw the website and I did verify the registrants details. The rest was the speculation.

Having worked with lots of university people / researchers (and knowing how they work) ... on reading Sean's story about 8 universities verifying Orbo but not wanting their work to be used ... I knew that he was full of it.
    Ah... those microgenerators. Sorry, I didn't pay much attention to that part of the story, since there's no face validity to it and it happened well before I started on this case, which was sometime between the Econ advert and the Kinetica demo. The way it's described today it's pretty clear that it was more of, or maybe the first bit of, the same old same old.
    Posted By: alsetalokinit's pretty clear that it was more of, or maybe the first bit of, the same old same old.

It's back story actually. When they came on the scene they had to have a good "how did we get here" story. I don't think any skeptic thought it was any good but the people of weaker will ate it up.
    • CommentAuthorcordex
    • CommentTimeFeb 29th 2012 edited

Has anyone commented that SKDB seems to be gone? It now simply redirects to http://www.steorn.com.
    I believe it may have been mentioned once or twice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskeptical

Refreshed my memory (courtesy of the wayback machine) from April 03:

"Mag-gen is a concept." (we don't do products)

"When attached to a pump..." (African)!!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Posted By: Angus
    Posted By: alsetalokin. I still believe that Sean himself was guzzled by an expert guzzler and only got onto the fraudboard relatively late in the game. I'd really like to get hold of Tachoman Max and put him to the third degree.

I think that as well.

Not a chance - Sean was well aware it was all bullshit; if you looked closely you could see it in his eyes.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: pcstru
    Posted By: alsetalokin. I still believe that Sean himself was guzzled by an expert guzzler and only got onto the fraudboard relatively late in the game. I'd really like to get hold of Tachoman Max and put him to the third degree.

I think that as well.

Not a chance - Sean was well aware it was all bullshit; if you looked closely you could see it in his eyes.
    I agree, Sean exuded smarminess in every appearance. His body language, vocal intonations, and the content of his statements and replies to questions were all along the lines of an eleven year old trying to tell a lie he can't possibly believe anyone buys.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDerrickA

Posted By: joshsI agree, Sean exuded smarminess in every appearance. His body language, vocal intonations, and the content of his statements and replies to questions were all along the lines of an eleven year old trying to tell a lie he can't possibly believe anyone buys.

Not much different from Rossi, who looks like he's scowling to mask what would otherwise be expressions of laughter or contempt.
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep

It's funny how Michael Daly, the guy who owns half the company, doesn't get a mention.

I've always suspected he was the brains behind the operation, and certainly knew it was bullshit from the start. Which is why he never made a public statement.

The very fact we don't talk about him, and it was Sean who was shoved to the front to become a laughing stock, makes me think Daley is the clever one. I would bet he skimmed millions out in consultant fee kickbacks.

ETA: HA! Just found this weirdness. Test your Steorn knowledge
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: DerrickA
    Posted By: joshsI agree, Sean exuded smarminess in every appearance. His body language, vocal intonations, and the content of his statements and replies to questions were all along the lines of an eleven year old trying to tell a lie he can't possibly believe anyone buys.

Not much different from Rossi, who looks like he's scowling to mask what would otherwise be expressions of laughter or contempt.
    Agreed.
    At least they did not have any difficulties spending their time in office.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZRHOhy3BhE
    Posted By: joshs
    Posted By: pcstru

I think that as well.

I agree, Sean exuded smarminess in every appearance. His body language, vocal intonations, and the content of his statements and replies to questions were all along the lines of an eleven year old trying to tell a lie he can't possibly believe anyone buys.

I'm firmly in the 'Sean knew it was bullshit all along' camp. Certainly he knew before the forum came into existence. The manner in which he evaded simple questions left me in no doubt. BOR makes a good point about Mr Daly. He got a lot of the benefit without any of the public exposure.

It still annoys me immensely that we struggle to get a few 10's of thousands to fund genuine research and that group of fuckwits paid themselves 100k+ each for years for bugger all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: hairykrishnaIt still annoys me immensely that we struggle to get a few 10's of thousands to fund genuine research and that group of fuckwits paid themselves 100k+ each for years for bugger all.

Too right!!

It's off this topic but close enough that I will quote here a post I made recently elsewhere. It concerns the closing of the PEARL atmospheric lab on Ellesmere Island for lack of money in the funding agencies and interest in the Government. PEARL supplied results from the far north that cannot be duplicated elsewhere.

Stupid to close PEARL.. But the problem results from a longstanding background policy in Canada (and many other places). It becomes ever more impossible to get funding for research unless you can show "industrial relevance". So university people get stuck doing things that industry isn't really interested in, (because if they were, they'd do it themselves), and research that could actually lead to something new gets not done.

Trying to come up with a story about Industrial Relevance for PEARL would be near impossible ( it usually requires a nominal financial contribution from some company ). Even though that work is HIGHLY relevant to society at large.

The real problem is that politicians would like to pretend they are businessmen, but they haven't got a clue. They try to make civil servants and university scientists into industrial researchers thus missing out on a huge potential.
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep

It still annoys me immensely that we struggle to get a few 10's of thousands to fund genuine research and that group of fuckwits paid themselves 100k+ each for years for bugger all.

You need to ask some sheep farmers. Though probably not the same ones.

I suspect they stripped millions out, not thousands. Much of the farmer's money was blown early, mainly on "consultants fees" - it could easily have been kicked back in brown paper envelopes.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Posted By: hairykrishnaI'm firmly in the 'Sean knew it was bullshit all along' camp.
    Agreed. The Minato wheel and the bit about the bearings plus the way they treated Dr. Mike made that very clear. So did the "covert video" of the Kinetica "aftersession" where apparently Scott Little took part and little Orbettinos spun about ineffectively while Sean played the violin on his silly laptop.

Edit: to clarify about the Minato wheel... it wasn't just that it didn't work and it wasn't just about the bearings. What struck me as immensely odd was that someone would go through all the hyped preparation and rent an elaborate and expensive venue, import over a hundred scientists and engineers from all over the world, pay for Dr. Mike's trip and then it was obvious they had never tested the Minato wheel that was their central piece de resistance. That sort of gross negligence and incompetence was totally incompatible with discovering the greatest invention of the century. Sort of like Rossi's heaps of rusty tubing, plumber's tools, and ever changing library of poopie hype and bad measurement methods is incompatible with the discovery of working LENR. And Defkalion's oblique self serving statements and the obviously non workable "models" that they showed along with the early hype about testing dozens of reactors with liquid cooling at dozens of kilowatt levels is also incompatible with having anything. IMHO of course.
    Always proven to work = Put money in THEIR pocket, always..
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: maryyugo
    Posted By: hairykrishnaI'm firmly in the 'Sean knew it was bullshit all along' camp.
    Agreed. The Minato wheel and the bit about the bearings plus the way they treated Dr. Mike made that very clear. So did the "covert video" of the Kinetica "aftersession" where apparently Scott Little took part and little Orbettinos spun about ineffectively while Sean played the violin on his silly laptop.

Edit: to clarify about the Minato wheel... it wasn't just that it didn't work and it wasn't just about the bearings. What struck me as immensely odd was that someone would go through all the hyped preparation and rent an elaborate and expensive venue, import over a hundred scientists and engineers from all over the world, pay for Dr. Mike's trip and then it was obvious they had never tested the Minato wheel that was their central piece de resistance. That sort of gross negligence and incompetence was totally incompatible with discovering the greatest invention of the century. Sort of like Rossi's heaps of rusty tubing, plumber's tools, and ever changing library of poopie hype and bad measurement methods is incompatible with the discovery of working LENR. And Defkalion's oblique self serving statements and the obviously non workable "models" that they showed along with the early hype about testing dozens of reactors with liquid cooling at dozens of kilowatt levels is also incompatible with having anything. IMHO of course.
    The Kinetica fiasco is a testament to Sean's sociopathy, further reinforced by his performance at Waterways and all points in-between.
    Posted By: maryyugo import over a hundred scientists and engineers from all over the world

Wasn't this just a 'Sean said'? As far as I was aware the only visitors were some free energy fruitcakes and bored looking passers by. No offence to any free energy fruitcakes from here that visited...
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep

I don't think DrMike counts as "over hundred scientists".