Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorcwatters
    • CommentTimeFeb 29th 2012

•  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

What are the specs and intended apps?
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Posted By: maryyugoWhat are the specs and intended apps?

It's an Arm based device running Linux (Fedora) aimed at geeky types (me) and the education market. For £22 it's a bargain but my advice would be for YOU to steer well clear of it.
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep

Posted By: maryyugoWhat are the specs and intended apps?

You write your own apps. That's the whole idea.
    Posted By: pcstruFor £22 it's a bargain but my advice would be for YOU to steer well clear of it.

hehehe (sorry Mary)

Mrs Trumpet asked what was so special about this. I gave the standard answer that it's essentially disposable, and that you could stick it in places a standard PC wouldn't go, and that you could stick xbmc on it and velcro it to the back of a TV, etc. etc. (so the relatively non-geeky attributes) but none of this comes close to explaining why it's so appealingly cool.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeFeb 29th 2012 edited

Posted By: timetrumpet
    For £22 it's a bargain but my advice would be for YOU to steer well clear of it.

hehehe (sorry Mary)
    Yeah, yeah... I'm not much into developing apps and writing code though I did a bit of both in the past, believe it or not.

I think this device is being hyped sort of like the old language LOGO was supposed to be a great way to teach elementary school children "about computers". Well, LOGO did no such thing. At best, it was a small introduction to programming and not the best one at that.

I see r-pi as a tool for developing on board microprocessor apps, maybe as local intelligence for some devices, maybe as a toy for advanced kids learning to program in Linux. What was it they said it was supposed to do? Why were billions going to be sold?

Parenthetically, I just needed to use my modified (GPS and extra battery added) iPod for a while including internet access over a MiFi 3G Verizon link. While it undeniably works, it's so clumsy and so weird that it was pure bliss to get to a public access full size computer even though that seemed to be some P2 or P3 antiquity full of snail brains. It was still way better than the tiny screen, no mouse, no keyboard, no back option, no obvious help options iPod (which is mostly an iPhone without the phone) and the crawl typical of Verizon's overused and abused 3G network.

So right. I don't need another crippled tiny cheap-shit system to work on, thanks.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Well, I have no idea what your ad-hoc iPad mini has to do with the Rasberry device, but I am sure that you know that if it's a netbook, or an ultrabook that you want with WAN capability that there are many options for that. If you are in or close to a major city, there's a good chance that you are within Verizon's 4G LTE coverage. If not, in another year you most likely will be.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeFeb 29th 2012 edited

Posted By: joshsWell, I have no idea what your ad-hoc iPad mini has to do with the Rasberry device, but I am sure that you know that if it's a netbook, or an ultrabook that you want with WAN capability that there are many options for that. If you are in or close to a major city, there's a good chance that you are within Verizon's 4G LTE coverage. If not, in another year you most likely will be.
    Yeah, I get calls from Verizon all the time wanting to snare me two years more for some 4G thing or other. I suppose I will swap it and be disappointed just like EVDO disappointed and 3G did not live up to the claims either. Very little does. The whole world economy is mostly based on deception and overoptimism if not downright scams. Practically every radio add and maybe every other TV add is a straightforward scam for some magic vitamin, perfume, lotion, age preventer, fat reducer, investment gimmick or some other silly shit. It's tiring.

What my mini-iPad-surrogate has to do with the r-pi is that what people need to do serious work on most occasions is MORE computing power, larger screens and easier interfaces. While smart phones and tiny CPU's have remarkable applications, they are often touted as substitutes for the more conventional manifestations of computers and they aren't. That part is all hype.

The iPhone and iPad are remarkable but they could be much better. The most glaring issues are slowness and a lack of navigation ability such as dedicated back, escape and help key for example. True, Android phones are better at that but the use of those keys is still inconsistent between apps and the apps on Android tend to much more unruly and less reliable (in my limited experience with both systems) than iOS apps.

IMHO, EVERY app screen should have CANCEL or BACK and HELP keys with HELP at least explaining how do the usual simple tasks one needs the most.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Posted By: maryyugo
    What my mini-iPad-surrogate has to do with the r-pi is that what people need to do serious work on most occasions is MORE computing power, larger screens and easier interfaces.

The r-pi is not about doing 'serious' work. It is about giving people (hopefully the yoof) a cheap but powerful computer that is simple enough they can understand what is going on and robust enough that they won't break it botching an install of some esoteric development framework. However, it is remarkable for hitting the price point. Just for comparison, I saw a similar sized 'USB' computer this week of a similar (slightly more powerful) spec. The price was 5x the cost of the pi.
    • CommentAuthorcwatters

Sounds like it could get serious. Elsewhere there is already talk of an App Store, the ability to emulate Pi on other platforms, several web browsers and even iPlayer gets a mention
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: maryyugo
    Posted By: joshsWell, I have no idea what your ad-hoc iPad mini has to do with the Rasberry device, but I am sure that you know that if it's a netbook, or an ultrabook that you want with WAN capability that there are many options for that. If you are in or close to a major city, there's a good chance that you are within Verizon's 4G LTE coverage. If not, in another year you most likely will be.
    Yeah, I get calls from Verizon all the time wanting to snare me two years more for some 4G thing or other. I suppose I will swap it and be disappointed just like EVDO disappointed and 3G did not live up to the claims either. Very little does. The whole world economy is mostly based on deception and overoptimism if not downright scams. Practically every radio add and maybe every other TV add is a straightforward scam for some magic vitamin, perfume, lotion, age preventer, fat reducer, investment gimmick or some other silly shit. It's tiring.

What my mini-iPad-surrogate has to do with the r-pi is that what people need to do serious work on most occasions is MORE computing power, larger screens and easier interfaces. While smart phones and tiny CPU's have remarkable applications, they are often touted as substitutes for the more conventional manifestations of computers and they aren't. That part is all hype.

The iPhone and iPad are remarkable but they could be much better. The most glaring issues are slowness and a lack of navigation ability such as dedicated back, escape and help key for example. True, Android phones are better at that but the use of those keys is still inconsistent between apps and the apps on Android tend to much more unruly and less reliable (in my limited experience with both systems) than iOS apps.

IMHO, EVERY app screen should have CANCEL or BACK and HELP keys with HELP at least explaining how do the usual simple tasks one needs the most.
    Mary there are many things in this world that are serious that are better suited to small platforms that larger ones. Just because the Rasberry doesn't suit any application you have in mind does not say much about its utility or lack of utility to others.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2012

Posted By: joshsMary there are many things in this world that are serious that are better suited to small platforms that larger ones. Just because the Rasberry doesn't suit any application you have in mind does not say much about its utility or lack of utility to others.
    I didn't say that. What I said is that some of the hype suggests the pi as some sort of replacement for a desktop or powerful laptop computer. Or as a way to teach a typical consumer how computers work. It's not for either purpose. That's silly hype. I understand it's a great product at a good price and has a lot of applications both in real world use and in training.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2012 edited

Posted By: timetrumpet£20 for a tiny silent media centre:
    Fun tour de force, but I doubt you'd want to live with it as your entertainment center. Still... impressive for size and cost.

By contrast, now old, TiVo is an impressive, fairly small special purpose Linux machine. For what it does, it's quite remarkable and in my experience, vastly superior to using a "normal" computer as a media center. That's something I have yet to see done perfectly correctly. I stopped trying with WinXP Media Center Edition but even with the most powerful C2D CPU then available, it never worked properly (we tried four different TV/DVR implementations, both PCI and USB2). Every version I tried out skipped frames, bogged down when recording HD, ate immense amounts of disk space and generally misbehaved and bugged out at every opportunity. TiVo has a few minor boggles but for the most part just works and works well. It's a nice piece of clever design and implementation.
    @my

Yeah, something we can agree on; I had an old TiVo with an ethernet board hack. Nothing came close to it at the time and I didn't really consider Sky+ to be a significant improvement when I had it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

• CommentAuthorLakes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi

Featured on both the BBC news (goto the website to see the video or youtube) and ITV (news at 10)
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Posted By: maryyugoWhat I said is that some of the hype suggests the pi as some sort of replacement for a desktop or powerful laptop computer. Or as a way to teach a typical consumer how computers work. It's not for either purpose. That's silly hype.

Where do you see this hype? So far, I've only seen it from you - you went from asking about it's spec and intended application (19 hours ago) to saying you think it is being hyped (15 hours ago) because it doesn't do x, y and z (which no one has claimed it would do). Both the links before that were very clear about the intended audience ...
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

•  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Posted By: pcstruBoth the links before that were very clear about the intended audience ...

I saw the hype somewhere... don't recall exactly where. This is a better statement of the real hype:

He and the Raspberry Pi team are sincere in their aim to inspire a new generation to take up programming. The question is whether, once the Raspberry Pi reaches the education market it was originally created to serve, the early enthusiasm among Linux hackers will be replicated among schoolchildren more familiar with touch screens than command lines.
    From the article. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/9113679/What-is-Raspberry-Pi.html