Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2013

Posted By: alsetalokinHere's what I think happens when there is a tube fault or a capsule malfunction, braking system or not: everybody in the entire tube dies.

That's a nice idea. You should share it with Elon Musk, maybe he adds it to the draft and offers you a job.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDerrickA

No more Party Time?
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2013 edited

Posted By: alsetalokinHere's what I think happens when there is a tube fault or a capsule malfunction, braking system or not: everybody in the entire tube dies.
    I agree. It's really stupid to go 800 miles per hour anywhere near the ground.

Posted By: alsetalokinYou might need cranes, as well as egresses, standing by at all times.
    This project is certainly for the birds. It's a dead pigeon.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin

Ok. Let's say the system is in operation, capsules whizzing along, and the tube ruptures in, say, Oklahoma. Obviously all traffic upstream of the rupture must stop. But what about traffic that has already passed the rupture point? Is it sucked on down to the terminus, being chased along by a rushing slug of atmosphere, or are the capsules braked to a halt (while the atmosphere rushes past them)?

How is the stop signal communicated instantly to all the capsules? That data link had better be pretty damn secure, I'll tell you that for nothing.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

And then, what happens when (not if) something goes wrong? This is just a few cars that mixed it up after a rear end collision.

Imagine the speeds are not 70 mph but 700. And it happens in an elevated or subterranean evacuated tube. You won't be able to pay people to ride those things.
    So in addition to what the capsules need, then the tube obviously needs stuff too. For example it needs doors that can valve off segments so that the entire thing doesn't pressurise if part of it leaks or is breached. These doors need to be fast acting, vacuum tight, and completely out of the way with no nonaerodynamic protruberances protruberating into the trube, er tube when not actuated. And there needs to be a lot of them, say every km or even more frequently.

You will also need a bunch of distributed vacuum pumps and the infrastructure to maintain and power them, and the support structures for the tube itself, and a whole culture of technicians and grunts who live outside and along the tube maintaining and operating it but who are too poor to travel in it.....

Hey, I think there's a novel in there. RoadWorld, or something.
    What happens if someone unleashes a deadly virus inside the pods and someone else detonates a high yield H-bomb inside the tube and then aliens descend with sharp curved blades and attack all the little babies and puppies?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDerrickA

Or snakes... Snakes in a tube!
    Bruce Willis and Leonardo DeCaprio team up and design autonomous grey supergoo that is injected into the alien traitor who looks just like Kim Basinger in "My Stepmother is an Alien" (1988, dir. Richard Benjamin), who then takes it back to the Queen Father deep in its subterranean cavern beneath the White House. All the aliens are stuck together by the supergoo, die and turn to dust and blow away in the wind. (We can't have all these dead bodies.) Crescendo "MY's theme", roll end titles.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: maryyugo
    BTW, Andrew, who is this obscure guy Newton you keep talking about? What does he have to do with this silliness? I don't recall seeing calculations anywhere about the deceleration necessary to stop one of these trains before it hits a stalled one. Or the acceptable reaction time for the braking mechanism (uh... what braking mechanism? these things are free floating in the tube).
    He did post his equation. It comes out as: 700mph ~1022fps @ 30s linear acceleration, requires about 1G = 32fps/s to go from 0 to cruise or cruise to zero. Slower acceleration requires longer linear motors albeit lower power ones, and slows the trip time.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: alsetalokinHere's what I think happens when there is a tube fault or a capsule malfunction, braking system or not: everybody in the entire tube dies gets an unwelcome surprise and a sincere apology to the surviving families from Capsule X.
    • CommentAuthorLakes
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2013

Posted By: DerrickAOr snakes... Snakes in a tube!
    That's a whole new can of worms.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDerrickA

More details on my hypothetical egress system (assuming a successfully stopped train...if that's even possible):
    Door sized curved rope of linear shaped charge mounted on the train facing outwards. This would be mounted in a normally unoccupied car that could be sealed off during the cutting blast. Passengers would be protected in adjoining cars for the brief duration. As a shaped charge can be made to focus quite well directionally, damage to surrounding structure would be minimal.

Linear shaped charge at work:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cPhjWOdqUI
    •  
      CommentAuthorDerrickA

Posted By: Lakes
    Posted By: DerrickAOr snakes... Snakes in a tube!
    That's a whole new can of worms.

...or new Samuel L. Jackson vehicle.
    Watch out for road debris when out for a spin in the Tesla! Also consider wearing Nomex.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/tesla-investors-seattle-car-fire-video-companys-problems/story?id=20456312
    • CommentAuthorjoshs
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2013

"Because each module within the battery pack is, by design, isolated by fire barriers to limit any potential damage, the fire in the battery pack was contained to a small section in the front of the vehicle," she said.

Posted By: duncan torusWatch out for road debris when out for a spin in the Tesla! Also consider wearing Nomex.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/tesla-investors-seattle-car-fire-video-companys-problems/story?id=20456312

Details and piccys.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Interesting. Nowadays, almost everybody has a video/image capable camera with them at all times.
    Posted By: maryyugoInteresting. Nowadays, almost everybody has a video/image capable camera with them at all times.

Pretty soon we will have proof of UFO's being an alien invasion!
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep

I hear petrol can be flammable as well, to be fair (which we don't have to be)