Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorLakes
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2013

" but what happens when it's -40 outside and you hear her husband coming home?"
    Select turbo heater mode! (just enough battery power left to at least drive out of sight.)
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: AngusNow I'm suspicious. The only place where somebody is going to own six Teslas living above the arctic circle is Scandinavia, which is decently cold but not usually ridiculously so, like some other places I could name. It might be nice to let your car (and battery) warm up to 23 or so while you have a leisurely shower and breakfast, but what happens when it's -40 outside and you hear her husband coming home?

No - I want to see drag races on a January midnight in Saskatoon.
    Note that Tesla doesn't talk about the energy required to bring the battery mass up from a given temperature ( although it is not that hard to calculate ), nor do they talk about how much power is lost at a given temperature keeping the pack warm.

During the infamous NYT drive last year, Tesla's customer support told the told the driver to accelerate and decelerate in order to improve the battery performance. The idea was this would cause motor heating that would then help bring the battery temperature up.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: Lakes" but what happens when it's -40 outside and you hear her husband coming home?"
    Select turbo heater mode! (just enough battery power left to at least drive out of sight.)
    If you have a passenger, then just set the Hasting's Cut-off. If you don't, then look for hitchhikers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

You mean I should take her with me?
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: AngusYou mean I should take her with me?
    That depends on whether or not you still want her to be around after your trip as more than a tasty memory.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Well with the Hastings cutoff it wouldn't be donner any favours to take her along.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: AngusWell with the Hastings cutoff it wouldn't be donner any favours to take her along.
    The favor is all for your benefit after your Model S expends it's battery going up a steep hill in cold weather.
    A kinder, gentler Donner experience. It eats itself.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanA kinder, gentler Donner experience. It eats itself.
    I think you may be thinking of the stranded passengers in the Execulouge to Nowhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2014 edited

Seems to be some sort of run up on Tesla stock today according to a radio announcer. Interesting. Some people seem to be willing to spend hugely on a peachy-looking futuristic car with limited range. Or else some traders are running a scheme. Who knows these days of automated millisecond stock trades?
    Rumors of acquisition by La Pomme.
    • CommentAuthorloreman
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2014

"peachy-looking futuristic car"

Surely they won't go that far in their search for brand identity
    • CommentAuthortinker
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2014

The run-up is because Tesla have said they are going to remove their production bottleneck by building the two biggest battery factories in the world.
    Now we know who stole that mango
    • CommentAuthorloreman
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2014

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: loremanSo shall we build a Moletrapmobile?

Ha! The old "use my patents" trick. I've seen it worked before - when you want something from little dinky company X you say "you let us use your little dinky patent and we'll let you use our entire wall full of patents". The problem is that little company X is unlikely to get any use out of the wall because they're too narrowly focussed. And once they give you access to their stuff, they've got no more leverage.

To be fair, though, Musk doesn't seem to be holding back. You can't play that game with Ford or GM and expect to win.
    So does that mean they'll finally get to have intermittent windshield wipers?
    I'm hoping it means that there will soon exist a car for everyone else (i.e. is affordable) that uses Tesla tech
    • CommentAuthortinker

I think Musk has another motive. At present, Tesla is a gnat on the arse of the motor industry, of little importance other than it's marketing trend demonstration value. But when you are planning to build the 2 biggest battery factories in the world you need customers, and 'giving away' the patents is his way of encouraging them to buy the tech.
    But... but.... intermittent wipers.

Or is it even possible to operate a Tesla automobile in the rain?