Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2018

In Canada? I guess so.
    I checked good guess
    almost more here than in scotland
    So your plan is to use the pipes as a weapon of mass destruction
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: Terry LingleI checked good guess
    almost more here than in scotland

The Highland Clearances. That's why Trim's CANZUK is a hard sell here. One of the whys, anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

•  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2018 edited

That's horrific when considered in that light, of course.

Still ... I'll wager that, overall, one has a higher probability of dying in a car wreck while heading to or coming from one of those venues, than being involved in a mass shooting in one of them.

Just like airplanes. I'm terrified of being in an airliner crash so I don't fly commercially. Even though I am fully aware that driving is much more dangerous on a passenger-mile basis.

We should be really thankful that things like this don't happen here... yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: alsetalokinWe should be really thankful that things likethisdon't happen here... yet.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_City_bombing?wprov=sfla
    •  
      CommentAuthorping1400
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2018

2017 number of people in USA dead from vehicle accidents: 37133
    2017 number of people in USA dead by guns: 37550

We have a winner!
    Bunch of losers if you ask me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

Posted By: alsetalokinThat's horrific when considered in that light, of course.

Still ... I'll wager that, overall, one has a higher probability of dying in a car wreck while heading to or coming from one of those venues, than being involved in a mass shooting in one of them.

Just like airplanes. I'm terrified of being in an airliner crash so I don't fly commercially. Even though I am fully aware that driving is much more dangerous on a passenger-mile basis.

We should be really thankful that things likethisdon't happen here... yet.
    This is actually a very good example of the cultural rift between the USA and elsewhere when it comes to guns. In most civilised first world countries, besides the USA and other war zones, it is pretty much taken for granted that your risk of getting shot will probably be a hell of a lot closer to your risk of being in an airliner crash than it will be to your risk of being in a car crash ...
    But does it really do any good for journalists to proclaim schools, churches, post offices and the like to be dangerous venues that should be avoided? I don't think so; it just increases irrational fears without actually doing anything to address the problem. After all the venues will still be packed even though a few people are scared away by the "journalism". Just like I won't die in an airplane crash because I stay out of airplanes -- but in actuality my overall chance of dying in an airplane crash has changed by a tiny imperceptible amount, since the prior probability is so low to begin with.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

For once, al, I think you have missed the point.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin

Posted By: AngusFor once, al, I think you have missed the point.

Well, can you explain what point I've missed?

Any place where people gather is a "free fire zone" (or bomb zone) for those who will do us evil. Guns are bad, explosives worse. Outlaw guns and fertilizer, fine, and then the evil people will just steal buses or 18-wheelers and drive them right through elementary schools.

Meanwhile journalists who have nothing better to do will write articles that scare people into staying home. And then a terrrrrist drives a car through their living room.

What point am I missing?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

The details of what locales are dangerous were not the issue. It was the fact that any of those places might become shooting galleries that shocks us. The point is not what places to avoid, it is to make all citizens accept that it is inappropriate to bring guns to a park, pub or birtday party either for aggression or for defence.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Posted By: alsetalokin
    Posted By: AngusFor once, al, I think you have missed the point.

Well, can you explain what point I've missed?

Any place where people gather is a "free fire zone" (or bomb zone) for those who will do us evil. Guns are bad, explosives worse. Outlaw guns and fertilizer, fine, and then the evil people will just steal buses or 18-wheelers and drive them right through elementary schools.

Meanwhile journalists who have nothing better to do will write articles that scare people into staying home. And then a terrrrrist drives a car through their living room.

What point am I missing?

The relative lack of people resorting to driving 18-wheelers through schools in places where they don't have guns?
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin

Which places were those? Norway?

Oh, right, they have guns there.

I'm still not sure what the point is of the article that I was criticising, other than to scare people, or rather to make people who _don't_ live in the USA to see this place as exceptionally dangerous and a place to avoid--- especially our churches and schools.

My points, however, are that one does not improve one's safety by any significant amount by not going to church or school or workplace, even in the USA, and also that people who want to kill you and your friends will find a way to do it, even if guns, explosives, and water balloons are outlawed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

But it's harder to drown you with a water balloon in places where it is generally accepted that adults don't go about carrying water balloons.
    If there are people of a terrorist or violent state of mind there will be senseless (to others) violence.
    The availability of
    a particular weapon is not the cause .

A quick review of chemistry and physics will give any fertile mind enough material to cause Angus to feel threatened.

I envision 200,000 toy helium baloons hoisting a rather large container of water with a couple of toy drones for guidance and a couple of RC servo's to cut the baloons away at the drop point.

An arduino with a Gps module will get that contraption close to the target. a second control unit using a camera and a few selected landmarks will put it almost dead on.

Now replace the water with gasoline and add an ignition device.
    A little luck and you have a poor mans fuel air bomb
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Strangely, I do not feel threatened by this prospect.
    Well a much simpler version of it was attempter by Japan in WWII.