Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2019 edited

Population Density:

No. Of Incidents:
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

No, I was talking about mass shooting incidents. But the population density has several interesting non-correlations with shootings. Note, for example, the US Minneapolis area--or the state of Vermont.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

Ah, yes. I see.

The more sparsely populated parts of the USA seem to me to be mostly uninhabitable (because of geography, and / or climate, and / or policy, and / or socioeconomic factors, etc.), while the mass shootings seem to me to be sufficiently distributed in order for me to not want to live anywhere even moderately densely populated in the USA.
    South Korea has a huge suicide rate but no guns.
    USA has much smaller suicide rate with lots of guns involved.
    Is there a trade opportunity here?

(thinks Donald...)
    • CommentAuthorloreman
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2019 edited

Speaking of business opportunities:

Every Child Should Have One
    • CommentAuthorkorkskrew
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2019

*sigh* A bit over a year ago, a friend of my wife bought a gun to kill herself. She couldn't figure out how to operate it and we found out and took it away from her. Tonight she shot herself in the face in the parking lot of a police station.

She isn't dead [yet], but the right half of her brain is destroyed.

Fucking hell. This gun shit is just unbelievable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

That's a very bad story. So sorry to hear it.
    Sorry your family lost a friend.

If she couldn't figure out how to shoot her own gun while in possession of an undamaged brain, I imagine losing half of it would not make too much difference. In any case, she should have been under medical supervision.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

My sympathy. I've lost a couple of old friends to suicide. It isn't easy on the survivors.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

Sorry to hear that korkskrew. It is an appalling situation.
    • CommentAuthorloreman

Yes, sorry to hear that, it's terrible that someone should be in that state and terrible for those they leave.
    wow
    my thoughts parallel these
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanIf she couldn't figure out how to shoot her own gun while in possession of an undamaged brain, I imagine losing half of it would not make too much difference.
    Asshole. Is this yet another attempt to earn yet another FWOTW banner?
    Asshole yourself! - for selectively editing out this
    Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanSorry your family lost a friend.

and this
    Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanIn any case, she should have been under medical supervision.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

Bullshit Andrew, your asinine, boorish comment was crassly insensitive, disrespectful and inappropriate and you know it.

Neither your expression of sympathy at the beginning of your post, nor your Captain Hindsight pronouncement of what you believe should have happened at the end of your post, excuses, moderates or softens the utterly oafish and derogatory statement that you made in between them in any way whatsoever.

What the actual fuck were you thinking? I honestly cannot comprehend how you might consider posting something like that to be anything other than grossly offensive under the circumstances. If you were to pass such a witless remark to somebody in similar circumstances in a face to face encounter in real life then IMHO you would be lucky to walk away from that encounter in possession of the same number of teeth in your mouth that you had beforehand.
    No, you can't comprehend. Just like I cannot comprehend how a person cannot figure out how to fire a gun. That was more shocking to me than the suicide itself.

Your incessant preaching and moralising is tiresome.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin

Maybe she couldn't figure out how to _load_ it. If you don't already know how, loading a typical Saturday Night Special .25 auto, or even a professional killer's Glock, can be pretty challenging. Firing them is easy (unless the safety catch is engaged), heck, even a two year old can do it. As we have seen. But there is no way a 2-year-old going to be able to _load_ the semi-auto handgun.

I do agree that she should have been under medical supervision. I am also in favour of a type of "red flag" law, where a person known to have a history of planned or attempted self-harm or harm to others should not be legally allowed to possess firearms. Where and how to draw that line... I dunno, that is for what we hire politicians and other experts.

Two people of my close acquaintance have suicided. One with a handgun, one by hanging. Both were devastating to all concerned. There may have been one or two others, medically assisted euthanasia, but I'm not sure about those. One thing about handgun suicides: They leave no doubt.

(except for Vince Foster of course)
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Twl of my own family, same methods. The line is easily drawn : separate the guns frkm the people.
    also the ropes
    In the USA, about half the suicides are by guns.
    There are a lot of suicides in the USA.