Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2019 edited

Posted By: AngusWe've been married fifty years this month.
    Congratulations! My parents celebrated their sixtieth wedding anniversary at the weekend. Mrs Duracell and I will celebrate our twentieth in October.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2019

Posted By: AngusWe've been married fifty years this month.

Congratulations and happy anniversary to you both!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

Our forever war: how the white male hegemony uses violence to cling to power

We were never not at war. By we I mean the colonizers of this continent, who waged war first against Native North America’s original occupants and then entered into a state of war to keep kidnapped Africans subjugated in slavery. After the official Indian wars ended, we found other means to keep Native people confined and disempowered. After slavery officially ended, we found other means to keep black people impoverished and disempowered. Those means were forms of war.

We launched a war to steal Mexico’s northern half, a project completed in 1848 with the acquisition of what is now California, Nevada, Utah, Arizona (minus the Gadsden purchase), part of Colorado, and New Mexico. Texas had already been seized by dubious means, in part because its Yankee settlers refused to accept Mexican law banning slavery. Then we treated Latinx people, even those who had been here before “here” was the USA, as invaders.

There’s a long history of massacres in response to slave uprisings and Native resistance, and the police killings of black people and white male killing of Native women might as well be called war by other means. The US began with a declaration that “all men are created equal” that left out all women, and since then its history has too often been devoted to perpetrating inequality. Recent mass shootings driven by racism and misogyny are a more extreme means of enforcing an oppression built into our economic and legal systems, and may be the result of a panic that those systems are not containing others well enough.

“War” might as well describe the domestic violence so epidemic that “on average, 24 people per minute are victims of rape, physical violence or stalking by an intimate partner in the United States”, according to the National Domestic Violence Hotline, with an average of four domestic violence deaths a day. Of course the majority of perpetrators are men; the majority of victims are women.

We are a country at war, but who that “we” is – in a nation where so many have been so disenfranchised – should be central to the conversation. There are more guns in the US than people, and the rhetoric of gun rights has been used to defend the rights of these killing machines to spread everywhere – classrooms, Walmarts, public places, homes where children have access to them.

And the people most likely to own guns are those who have been the aggressors in these wars: men, particularly white men, who commit almost all the mass shootings in this country. As social media commentators have noted, if it were Islamic or other “other” groups committing multiple massacres there would be no doubt that this was terrorism. And as Jason Stanley notes early in his book How Fascism Works, “The most telling symptom of fascist politics is division. It aims to separate a population into an ‘us’ and a ‘them.’” But these divisions by race, religion, and gender have always structured the United States.

We were never not at war, but in recent years the cold civil war has heated up. The white men who expected unquestioned supremacy, by race and by gender, have launched a civil war against the rest of us, not least by allowing a huge number of high-capacity weapons of war to circulate throughout the country and supporting the NRA’s propaganda project to further fortify a set of fears and identifications between freedom, guns, masculinity and white supremacy. The Republican party has in essence declared war against the United States – against the people, the environment, the constitution, the rule of law, against voting rights and free and fair elections. The threats are coming from inside the Capitol.

After the El Paso massacre by a racist with an anti-immigrant manifesto, people are saying out loud that the president is culpable. But he is gasoline on a fire laid long before, an extreme version of old hates and problems. And of the entitlement that always seems like the most noteworthy and least noted aspect of violence: the idea that anyone has the right to to punish, deprive of rights and safety and even kill others. In May, he said, “How do you stop these people?” and complained that the border patrol can’t use weapons, and then chuckled when an audience member called out “shoot them”. This weekend someone shot his version of “them” in El Paso.
    Posted By: DuracellSo, the “survivors” you were referring to presumably don’t exist then? ...
    Christ, you are tiresome.

Yes, for the suicides I personally knew, parents, siblings and relatives were involved.
    And of course, friends like me.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2019 edited

Holy cow, how did we ever let the discussion deteriorate to this level?

Gentlemen, please!
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Posted By: DuracellI don’t think you can or should equate them and I think it is a false dichotomy to suggest that the sympathy belongs to either one or the other.

+999.997345327
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2019

Walmart removing violent video game displays, signs from stores but still selling guns.

You couldn't make this shit up.

If only the USA made it as difficult to get a gun as an abortion...
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep

Posted By: Angus
    Posted By: AsterixI went nearly every year for the garlic ice cream.

Not easy to find elsewhere, I'm sure.

The Garlic Farm on the Isle of Wight certainly does. Garlic everything at that place.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Heck, there are several rutabaga festivals in the US each year, with at least one vendor offering rutabaga malted milk concoctions.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2019

•  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Testing your 1st amendment rights?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Seems to me that he ran an excellent test of the second amendment, and it failed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

Posted By: AngusSeems to me that he ran an excellent test of the second amendment, and it failed.
    Yes.

Springfield Police Lt. Mike Lucas told CNN that Andreychenko “certainly had . . . the potential to harm people.”

“His intent was not to cause peace or comfort to anybody that was in the business,” Lucas said. “In fact, he’s lucky to be alive still, to be honest.”
    Therefore the NRA cult and its gun culture fetishists have poisoned their own well by rendering the second amendment de facto unworkable. That the idiot who carried out the social experiment seems to fail to comprehend the implications of its results only serves to make the irony even more delicious!
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2019 edited

I wonder how that 'experiment' would have worked out if the experimenter had a higher melanin content in his skin?
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

For what values of "worked out"?

The ultimate answer is to arm minorities to the fullest extent possible. I can just see the race wars breaking out...
    In California in the sixties, the sight of Black Panthers openly carrying weapons was too much for the 2nd Amendment folk.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Just my point. Angela Davis and all that...
    I'm the sort who looks kindly on reparations. As an example of such kindness, I'd favour the banning of all weapons ownership by non-blacks for ten years, and full rights to be extended to blacks during that time.

Sit back and wait for the screams of indignation :)
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

A free guns for minorities kickstarter/gofundme could help.
    5 shot today, 100s arrive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mC1o3dfnmc

Never ends.