Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Posted By: nova
    And once again. DC has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the US yet has the highest murder by gun. Would you like to repeat the correlation and causation statement again?

That kind of comparison's not that useful. Restrictive gun laws are meaningless if non-restrictive gun laws are only a short drive away.
    • CommentAuthornova
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2012

Posted By: AngusA thought. Would it be legal in the US for a citizen to go about carrying a rapier in a scabbard, for protection against criminals and tyrannical governments? If not, why not?
    I don't know if there are laws to cover rapiers. In Missouri I can carry a gun with a permit, but brass knuckles are against the law. I don't carry a gun for protection from the government.
    • CommentAuthornova

Posted By: hairykrishna
    And once again. DC has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the US yet has the highest murder by gun. Would you like to repeat the correlation and causation statement again?

That kind of comparison's not that useful. Restrictive gun laws are meaningless if non-restrictive gun laws are only a short drive away.
    If the laws are meaningless then law abiding citizens are in serious jeopardy. How do they protect themselves?
    Posted By: Angus
    Posted By: hairykrishnaWell, "not putting the genie back in the box" being delusion for a start. How do you go from 200 million privately owned guns to firearms and ammunition being scarce?

Rust.

There was a time when everybody in the UK went armed, out of a perceived necessity, with a weapon appropriate to his station in life. These genies can be put back in their boxes.

Maybe, if you're thinking extremely long term. I've personally fired a Winchester pump action shotgun that was over 100 years old and worked just as well as the day it was made.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2012 edited

It actually seems to me that a substantial proportion of gun deaths in the USA are from police killing people, many of whom are under-armed and didn't actually need killing. Or at least they were not actually shooting at anybody when they are gunned down in a hail of bullets fired by peace officers.
    • CommentAuthornova

Posted By: alsetalokinIt actually seems to me that a substantial proportion of gun deaths in the USA are from police killing people, many of whom are under-armed and didn't actually need killing.
    Not true. Police shootings are thoroughly investigated. It is black on black as the number one gun related violence or for that matter black on black for violence of any kind. Impulse control may be a factor.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

Posted By: novaImpulse control may be a factor.

• CommentAuthornova

Posted By: Duracell
    Posted By: novaImpulse control may be a factor.

You better ain't be dissin' me! Whatever that means.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: alsetalokinIt actually seems to me that a substantial proportion of gun deaths in the USA are from police killing people, many of whom are under-armed and didn't actually need killing.
    Not true. Police shootings are thoroughly investigated. It is black on black as the number one gun related violence or for that matter black on black for violence of any kind. Impulse control may be a factor.

Would that impulse control be genetically determined, do you think?
    If you have a black person at the helm of your starship watch out for time dilation effects when travelling at sub-light speeds due to their poor control of the impulse drive.
    Posted By: tinker@gravity boots. Tidbits is a perfectly British expression - there was even a British weekly news magazine of the same name, founded in 1881.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tit-Bits

How strange. You say Tidbits it's a perfectly British expression and give me an example of a British weekly magazine with a completely different name.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

titbit delicate or toothsome morsel XVII; interesting item XVIII. Earliest form tyd bit, i.e. tid, dial. word equiv. to nice, + BIT2.

Since it originates in the 17th cent., I think it is probably British.
    Nothing wrong with titbit. But only the western colonies (and Tinker) use tidbit even if it did originate from Olde English.
    Probably because the modern version has a "tit" [giggle] in it.

Is that not why Americans call Cockerels Roosters? 'Cause it has a "Cock" in it.
    • CommentAuthornova

Posted By: AngusWould that impulse control be genetically determined, do you think?

It could be impulse control or lack of morals or no fear of consequence or other reasons and I don't know if nature or nurture is the cause. Impulse control was mentioned because of my observations.
    Edited to add that I have known people who felt they would not be held accountable for their misdeeds; all they had to do is lie. They were astounded when their lies were not believed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Sociopathic or narcissistic types abound in investment, politics and upper management. Not sure if the criminal classes can match that level of incidence since the selection process is a bit different.
    Criminals have a lower _prevalence_ of sociopathy than those other job descriptions, because after all... there is honor among thieves.

Among investment counselors, politicians, and upper managers.... perhaps not so much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2012

Posted By: novaImpulse control was mentioned because of my observations.

What observations are these? Do you mean that your opinion is that criminals have difficulty controlling their impulses and therefore you deduce that people who have difficulty controlling their impulses are criminals?

If so, it is a wonderful example of begging the question.
    People with poor impulse control often wind up as criminals, because they do stupid, spur-of-the-moment things, sometimes with violence.

However.... to be a good criminal... that is, a successful one.... impulse control is paramount. Does anyone think that Ted Bundy or Jeffrey Dahmer had poor impulse control? The criminal with poor impulse control is caught or killed off quickly. The ones with good impulse control are the ones to watch out for.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

I guess it depends what you mean. If poor impulse control means the inability to control the desire to plan and carefully execute a crime, then it becomes a tautology.
    • CommentAuthortinker

Tiddy or Tyddy is another form, meaning small. And AFAIK dialect words, not necessarily Olde (sic) English.