Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2012 edited

So says OED. And I agree with you about the ridiculous "olde" . If people mean Anglo-Saxon they should just say so. But they almost never mean that. "Olde English" seems to mean, vaguely, Middle English, or even Modern English a la Shakespeare.
    • CommentAuthornova
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2012

Posted By: Angus
    Posted By: novaImpulse control was mentioned because of my observations.

What observations are these? Do you mean that your opinion is that criminals have difficulty controlling their impulses and therefore you deduce that people who have difficulty controlling their impulses are criminals?

If so, it is a wonderful example of begging the question.
    None of the above.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: nova
    Posted By: LoonymanI've said this befor, and no doubt will again, and I know correlation is not causation, but the US having such fucking lame gun laws, and the US having such a massive death rate by fire arm compared to the civilised world ARE related.
    The US has laws against murder. They consider murder as a serious crime. They also have laws against murder with a firearm. Commit murder with a firearm and now you are in real serious trouble.
    And once again. DC has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the US yet has the highest murder by gun. Would you like to repeat the correlation and causation statement again?
    Nova, care to quote the number of felons in jail for drug crimes?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

What observations are these? Do you mean that your opinion is that criminals have difficulty controlling their impulses and therefore you deduce that people who have difficulty controlling their impulses are criminals?

None of the above.

Then please provide reference or original data.
    • CommentAuthornova

Posted By: joshs
    Posted By: LoonymanI've said this befor, and no doubt will again, and I know correlation is not causation, but the US having such fucking lame gun laws, and the US having such a massive death rate by fire arm compared to the civilised world ARE related.
    The US has laws against murder. They consider murder as a serious crime. They also have laws against murder with a firearm. Commit murder with a firearm and now you are in real serious trouble.
    And once again. DC has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the US yet has the highest murder by gun. Would you like to repeat the correlation and causation statement again?
    Nova, care to quote the number of felons in jail for drug crimes?
    < http://www.druglibrary.org/Schaffer/library/basicfax17.htm >
    59.6% of the prison population are there for drug offenses. What is not stated is the prison population for robbery of 9.8%, how many of those were robbing to support a drug habit?
    • CommentAuthornova

None of the above.

You want a reference of what I witness??? Makes no sense.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

None of the above.

You want a reference of what I witness??? Makes no sense.

Then you are using _what you witness_ as an explanation for what you witness, just as I said. Begging the question. Circular argument.

That's what makes no sense.
    as i recall, nova was not talking about criminals in general per se. He was talking specifically about black people who commit violence on other black people. He seems to be saying that his personal observations of black people lead him to conclude that they have an issue with impulse control and that this may be a factor in why "black on black" violence is (according to him) so prevelant. (I'm curious if he thinks there is something about the victim being black also that contributes to this problem with impulse control or if the same issue applies to instances of "black on white" violence).

Posted By: alsetalokinIt actually seems to me that a substantial proportion of gun deaths in the USA are from police killing people, many of whom are under-armed and didn't actually need killing.
    Not true. Police shootings are thoroughly investigated. It is black on black as the number one gun related violence or for that matter black on black for violence of any kind. Impulse control may be a factor.

Posted By: AngusWould that impulse control be genetically determined, do you think?

It could be impulse control or lack of morals or no fear of consequence or other reasons and I don't know if nature or nurture is the cause. Impulse control was mentioned because of my observations.
    • CommentAuthornova

Posted By: AngusThen you are using _what you witness_ as an explanation for what you witness, just as I said. Begging the question. Circular argument.

Speculating on the cause of what I witness is not circular.
    < http://www.aol.com/video/teen-mob-robbery-caught-on-tape/517429190/ >
    This also happened at the mall in south county last winter. Mall walkers use the mall in bad weather and freely hang their coats but during a shoe sale that attracted large groups of blacks every coat was stolen and blacks were seen spitting on walkers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: AngusThen you are using _what you witness_ as an explanation for what you witness, just as I said. Begging the question. Circular argument.

Speculating on the cause of what I witness is not circular.

It's a circular speculation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: duncan torusas i recall, nova was not talking about criminals in general per se. He was talking specifically about black people who commit violence on other black people. He seems to be saying that his personal observations of black people lead him to conclude that they have an issue with impulse control and that this may be a factor in why "black on black" violence is (according to him) so prevelant. (I'm curious if he thinks there is something about the victim being black also that contributes to this problem with impulse control or if the same issue applies to instances of "black on white" violence).

Posted By: alsetalokinIt actually seems to me that a substantial proportion of gun deaths in the USA are from police killing people, many of whom are under-armed and didn't actually need killing.
    Not true. Police shootings are thoroughly investigated. It is black on black as the number one gun related violence or for that matter black on black for violence of any kind. Impulse control may be a factor.

Posted By: AngusWould that impulse control be genetically determined, do you think?

It could be impulse control or lack of morals or no fear of consequence or other reasons and I don't know if nature or nurture is the cause. Impulse control was mentioned because of my observations.

I'm curious also, and rather appalled.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin

Well, if you are really curious, I invite you to take a stroll along MLK Avenue between Gevers and Hackberry some fine afternoon.

You will encounter some black folks who have very good impulse control. They will be very deliberately, not impulsively at all, seeking to determine just what the pale stranger is doing walking in their turf.

If you buy a 20 rock from the first group who approach you, you might get safe passage out the other end of the block. Or you might get it stolen, along with your shoes and moneybelt, by the next group you encounter.

Do these folks behave this way because they are black? No, of course not.

They do it because YOU are WHITE.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Right. Cockneys in London used to be viewed in something the same way. They invented an incomprehensible argot and excluded all not born within the sound of Bow Bells. The point is - how do you _include_ such people in your society, rather than having to defend yourself against them, which is all that ever seems to be talked about here. If they are enemies, they are enemies that US society has created by actions or default of them.

The NRA has an annual budget of $200 million for supporting people to be able to shoot internal enemies. It would be a nice start to retarget that money toward creating a wider tent. The vast sum actually spent on firearms is unknown to me, but I bet that would go an even longer way.

You just need some really courageous people to get started. The kind who walked into the wilds of Borneo with only their bible, to Christianise the natives. Drop the Christianising and replace it with day care, microbanking, training, etc.
    • CommentAuthornova

Posted By: AngusRight. Cockneys in London used to be viewed in something the same way. They invented an incomprehensible argot and excluded all not born within the sound of Bow Bells. The point is - how do you _include_ such people in your society, rather than having to defend yourself against them, which is all that ever seems to be talked about here. If they are enemies, they are enemies that US society has created by actions or default of them.

The NRA has an annual budget of $200 million for supporting people to be able to shoot internal enemies. It would be a nice start to retarget that money toward creating a wider tent. The vast sum actually spent on firearms is unknown to me, but I bet that would go an even longer way.

You just need some really courageous people to get started. The kind who walked into the wilds of Borneo with only their bible, to Christianise the natives. Drop the Christianising and replace it with day care, microbanking, training, etc.
    Nonsense. You have not identified the problem and of course you have no solution.
    Posted By: AngusYou just need some really courageous people to get started.

Take away their bibles, and give them spice packs?
    Posted By: AngusRight. Cockneys in London used to be viewed in something the same way. They invented an incomprehensible argot and excluded all not born within the sound of Bow Bells. The point is - how do you _include_ such people in your society, rather than having to defend yourself against them, which is all that ever seems to be talked about here. If they are enemies, they are enemies that US society has created by actions or default of them.

Nonsense. You have not identified the problem and of course you have no solution.
    what's your solution?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

Well, you have certainly identified what you have a problem with ... AND what your problem is ...
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin

The problem is that terrestrial primates are a quarrelsome lot, in the individual and in the mob. Only the small band is a viably internally peaceful mode of living for them. Larger aggregates make the individual anonymous and uncared-for by peers, and require central control and defense from outside aggressors who are competing for scarce resources like females, land, and game.

Take away all the weaponry from the people and concentrate it in the hands of the power elite.... and the smart people will develop means, nevertheless, to smite one another soundly, with agricultural implements, boat oars, or empty hands if necessary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vezol3il7uE Watch to the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfJgI7vCmds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNmu68D02Rk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ko4eZTPC6o
    • CommentAuthornova

Posted By: duncan toruswhat's your solution?

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and food stamps ever.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because the animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves.

This ends today's lesson.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

Is it just me, or was today's lesson kinda shit?