Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2012 edited

I participate a little in Facebook under my real name. I noticed something recently about several of the people I am "friends" with, some of them quite close to me. The longer I read their Facebook "timelines" the less I like them. That's pretty disconcerting. It reminds me a bit of the Babelfish.

"The Babel fish is small, yellow, leech-like, and probably the oddest thing in the universe. It feeds on brain wave energy, absorbing all unconscious frequencies and then excreting telepathically a matrix formed from the conscious frequencies and nerve signals picked up from the speech centres of the brain, the practical upshot of which is that if you stick one in your ear, you can instantly understand anything said to you in any form of language: the speech you hear decodes the brain wave matrix." ...

... Meanwhile the poor Babel fish, by effectively removing all barriers to communication between different cultures and races, has caused more and bloodier wars than anything else in the history of creation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2012

I think the time wasted reading anything on facebook would drive me toward a general misanthropy.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2012

Posted By: AngusI think the time wasted reading anything on facebook would drive me toward a general misanthropy.
    No. It's that people put on very strong polarizing political opinions, petty peeves, irritating misconceptions about how things work, prejudices, and some inner thoughts they'd never bring up in a face to face discussion. These are all things I'd rather not know about my friends.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2012 edited

Weird, isn't it? The more we know about each other, the less we like it. The more "social media" (which are no such thing) bring us together the more they separate us and isolate us, turning real relationships into virtual ones. The time you spend interacting with "friends" on social media is time that you _cannot_ spend socializing with real people. Think those internet personae that you call your SM "friends" are real? They are not, even if they themselves might think they are. They are all virtual Stella Nokias, anagrams of personalities that only exist on teh internest.

Years ago, I could go to friends' houses, sit for hours drinking coffee and playing chess, listening to or making music with them.....
    Now they are all on the internet, sitting in front of a little screeen, and I haven't played a face-to-face game of chess with a real flesh-embodied person in over a decade.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2012

Soon you will be able to buy better friends with FacebookMatch™.
    And toss them when you are done with them, open another persona, and start collecting new ones. Very clean, much less messy than meatfriends.
    Real social networking.

mm
    • CommentAuthorsonoboy

Posted By: alsetalokinAnd toss them when you are done with them, open another persona, and start collecting new ones. Very clean, much less messy than meatfriends.

Ha ha meatfriends LOL!!
    • CommentAuthorsonoboy

There are few things me and the Joshter agree on, and facebook is one of them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: maryyugoIt's that people put on very strong polarizing political opinions, petty peeves, irritating misconceptions about how things work, prejudices, and some inner thoughts they'd never bring up in a face to face discussion.

No danger of being physically laughed at leads to boorish behaviour.
    • CommentAuthorenginerd

I use facebook to spy on my children and shamelessly promote my wife's soon-to-be-released novel.

What's not to like?
    • CommentAuthornova

Posted By: maryyugo
    Posted By: Angus
    No. It's that people put on very strong polarizing political opinions, petty peeves, irritating misconceptions about how things work, prejudices, and some inner thoughts they'd never bring up in a face to face discussion. These are all things I'd rather not know about my friends.
    Sounds very much like me and Angus and bunches of other people. The advantage here is that we knew that first before we became acquainted.
    • CommentAuthornova

I like Pat Condell's greeting.
    "Hi, I’m Pat Condell
    I don’t respect your beliefs and I don’t care if you’re offended.
    Cheers."
    Straight to the bottom line. Works for me.
    < http://www.patcondell.net/ >
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: nova
    Sounds very much like me and Angus and bunches of other people. The advantage here is that we knew that first before we became acquainted.

Gasp!!
    Are you saying that moletrap is a sort of Facebook for misfits?
    •  
      CommentAuthorLoonyman

Posted By: nova

Gasp!!
    Are you saying that moletrap is a sort of Facebook for misfits?

I had been quietly smiling at the irony.... Pretty amusing!!

However, I can attest that I am just as obnoxious in real life as on Moletrap or Facebook... And Mrs Loonyman would no doubt back me up on that!
    • CommentAuthorenginerd

I think this forum is almost the opposite of facebook.

Facebook seems to be about trivial connections and glib chatter with real people.
    This moletrap is about intellectual and fundamental entertaining interaction between avatars.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLoonyman

Posted By: enginerdI think this forum is almost the opposite of facebook.

Facebook seems to be about trivial connections and glib chatter with real people.
    This moletrap is about intellectual and fundamental entertaining interaction between avatars.

Speak for yourself dude!!

On Facebook I have "real" friends whom I see on a regular basis in the real world, my old friends from England, my family, both Swedish and English, then I have a group of people I don't know very well, ( this is the smallest group.. Folks met at parties and such like..) , But I also have a group of people I "follow", comprising scientists, astronaughts, journalists, and other folk of interest, and as such I use Facebook as a news source also.

(Admittedly, Google+ and twitter are better as a news source, but ya can't be everywhere at once, can ya?)
    • CommentAuthorenginerd

I was trying to speak for myself. Instead of "I think" I perhaps should have said "My experience".

All my facebook interaction is banal and trivial and it is carried on using the same name and face that is on my driver's license with other people who are also "real". I am not against this. It is useful to me.

I can readily see how the Facebook tool could be used for many other types of interactions.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin

Posted By: enginerdI can readily see how the Facebook tool could be used for many other types of interactions.

Mee too.

Especially when everybody's realtime geolocation data is included.

You know that it's in there -- updated every time you post or check for posts -- and that _somebody_ has access to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Posted By: alsetalokinYou know that it's in there
    You mean the IP address is in there. How would geolocation data get transmitted? Browsers don't do that.