Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorloreman
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2012

Yes, that's why it's scary if true, and not a case of someone who's exhibiting dangerous schizophrenic symptoms undergoing compulsory psychiatric evaluation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2012

Habeas corpus anyone?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsaner
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2012 edited

Posted By: AngusHabeas corpus anyone?

HAHA HA

In the land of the free? Surely you jest?

ETA: Angus, you are familiar with this, right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Defense_Authorization_Act_for_Fiscal_Year_2012
    and the brilliant response to the lawsuit that followed?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Defense_Authorization_Act

"The government construes this Court’s Order as applying only as to the named plaintiffs in this suit."

BTW: US courts have ABSOLUTELY NO AUTHORIZATION OR ABILITY TO HOLD THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT ACCOUNTABLE

Above the law, not bound by law, ignoring the law.
    Is Facebook really where the truth lies?

Anyway, everyone should check their local statutes to find out what is required for an "involuntary commitment" to a mental hospital for observation and treatment. In many cases the signature of a family member and of a doctor is all that is required, and the cops will come with handcuffs and even straitjackets to take you hence, to be drugged and "observed" against your will... and if you struggle and protest, that is considered proof that they were justified in what they did.

A colleague of mine at UC Santa Cruz (California) was talking on the phone to his sister in Vermont about how tough gradschool was and how depressed he was. Four hours later the cops busted down his door and took him to the local loony bin on a 96-hour emergency commitment. His sister had called the local constabulary and told them that he was suicidal. He wasn't, though, just drunk. By the time he got out though, he wasn't drunk... he was suicidal.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsaner
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2012 edited

Land of the free?

http://www.freedominourtime.blogspot.ca/2012/08/this-isnt-america-you-cant-say-that-here.html

I am starting to question if posting my thoughts here is safe. But I have to assume that is the intent.

ETA - in Canada it is even worse in many respects.
    • CommentAuthorenginerd
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2012

I am surprised at how unskeptical the response is on this thread.

Sure, the point made is that IF this is a good description of what happened, THEN it represents a concern for law abiding people everywhere.

The same could be said about any of the many woo announcements we air here regularly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

Posted By: enginerdI am surprised at how unskeptical the response is on this thread.

Sure, the point made is that IF this is a good description of what happened, THEN it represents a concern for law abiding people everywhere.

The same could be said about any of the many woo announcements we air here regularly.
    That they "represent a concern for law abiding people everywhere?" I do agree!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsaner

Posted By: enginerdI am surprised at how unskeptical the response is on this thread.

So, do you ever reach a conclusion or do you just spend your life in limbo because nothing is ever proven beyond reasonable doubt?

The officials have stated that he was not arrested or charged. Yet he was handcuffed and taken away against his will. If he was not arrested, that is kidnapping.

The official statements are that he was (not arrested) for his facebook posts. No other justification was given.

Where is your beef with this as being unfounded woo?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsaner

Judge orders Brandon Raub released.

http://rt.com/usa/news/judge-marine-facebook-raub-421/
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Interesting - the video was from the Russian international service (which is pretty good, but not as good as Al J.) It reminds me that the last time returning soldiers were targeted for arrest was in Russia, when Stalin didn't trust anybody who had set foot outside the borders of the old CCCP.
    Anyhoo.....the best way to use facebook IMO and especially if you're into photography is to use their vast storage reserves for decent photographs that would normally reside on a dusty pc's hard disk never seeing the light of day. This way my timeline looks pretty, there's no inane comments or crappy phone pics of drunken self portraits or empty coffee cups or fried breakfasts, half decent photo's get a public airing and it acts to some extent as a backup if a hard disk goes pop. You can setup facebook to upload fairly high resolution pics which if you check out the options on viewing an image can be expanded to full screen.

I look at everyone else's boring timeline or predecessor and think - you're using it wrong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGrowler
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2012

I use Flickr for the same purpose now - especially since I had so much trouble recovering 15000 lost images recently
    • CommentAuthorenginerd

Posted By: saner

So, do you ever reach a conclusion or do you just spend your life in limbo because nothing is ever proven beyond reasonable doubt?

The officials have stated that he was not arrested or charged. Yet he was handcuffed and taken away against his will. If he was not arrested, that is kidnapping.

The official statements are that he was (not arrested) for his facebook posts. No other justification was given.

I try not to reach conclusions until I have enough information to do so. Sometimes if there is a need to act, I have to go with whatever information is available and choose my action. In many cases, it seems that it is best to remain skeptical and wait for more information. In this case, we didn't have to wait long for information that was a lot more compelling.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsaner

Posted By: saner

Posted By: enginerdI try not to reach conclusions until I have enough information to do so. Sometimes if there is a need to act, I have to go with whatever information is available and choose my action. In many cases, it seems that it is best to remain skeptical and wait for more information. In this case, we didn't have to wait long for information that was a lot more compelling.

Seems you sidestepped a central point here, so again, "Where was your beef with this as being unfounded woo?"
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Posted By: enginerd
    I try not to reach conclusions until I have enough information to do so.

Really? So how exactly do you know when that is?
    • CommentAuthorenginerd

@pcstru
    Sometimes it is obvious, but usually, I try to suspend judgement until I have a need to act.

For instance, Steorn makes an advertisement in the Economist that essentially claims free energy. I try to find some more information. Is it a stunt, is it a misunderstanding, is it a scam, is it something else? Wanting to participate in the forum and learn and share represents a reason to act. I state my conclusion (for which I feel I have sufficient information) that whatever Steorn has or thinks they have, that I am convinced that it is not real useable over-unity free energy. I didn't (and still don't) have a sufficient combination of need and information to conclude anything about Steorn's motives.

I believe most people use the same process, but everybody has a different driving force for the need to decide, and a different resistance level to the sufficient information for conclusion.
    • CommentAuthorenginerd

@Saner
    I think my point is that deciding that there is clearly an injustice taking place based on the first round of press announcements is similar to believing that steorn has what they claim, based on their first round of press announcements.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsaner

Posted By: enginerd@Saner
    I think my point is that deciding that there is clearly an injustice taking place based on the first round of press announcements is similar to believing that steorn has what they claim, based on their first round of press announcements.

Except that the FBI, DHS, Rutherford Institute, Brandon Raub and the local police all had the same story. He was taken away in handcuffs, no charges, locked away in a psychiatric ward against his will for a Facebook post.

Nobody involved had differing accounts. Your claim that "The same could be said about any of the many woo announcements we air here regularly." was baseless.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Posted By: enginerd@pcstru
    Sometimes it is obvious, but usually, I try to suspend judgement until I have a need to act.

I'm not sure I understand 'judgement' without 'action'. A sceptical response is a judgement and an action, it is not suspension of judgement.

(snip)

I believe most people use the same process, but everybody has a different driving force for the need to decide, and a different resistance level to the sufficient information for conclusion.

Your explanation tells me very little about what you consider to be enough information, other than perhaps that you believe there is such a thing as information - which is perhaps surprisingly, unskeptical.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Posted By: gravitybootsthe best way to use facebook IMO and especially if you're into photography is to use their vast storage reserves for decent photographs
    Isn't Picasa better, less restricted to access, faster and much higher resolution?