Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorpcstru
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2012

•  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2012

Posted By: enginerdI didn't (and still don't) have a sufficient combination of need and information to conclude anything about Steorn's motives.
    I think you do now. The motive was to collect 20 million Euros and spend it on flashy equipment, large salaries and ale. I realize you can't PROVE that but it's pretty clear that this is what it was, simply from the process of exclusion and more complexly from watching what the lads did, especially their answers to appropriate polite technical questions and advice placed in their forum.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2012 edited

Before you say anything, stout is top fermented and is therefore an ale, so MY is correct.
    Stout, I believe.
    Sneaky. Very sneaky.
    Posted By: maryyugo
    Posted By: gravitybootsthe best way to use facebook IMO and especially if you're into photography is to use their vast storage reserves for decent photographs
    Isn't Picasa better, less restricted to access, faster and much higher resolution?

Oh yeah there's plenty of online photo storage solutions but if you want to share photos to a relatively wide but known audience, images that are not specifically relevant to anyone in particular, then facebook works quite well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2012

Oh dear, oh dear ...

Facebook flooded with complaints after messages 'bug'

From the article:Facebook has denied claims that a software bug caused private messages dating from 2009 to be displayed on profiles overnight, insisting that the messages were left in public originally, but that members have since become more privacy-conscious.

Facebook admitted old messages were reappearing on profiles but quickly denied that there had been a privacy breach, as the messages were old public messages.

Facebook’s director of engineering, Andrew Bosworth, aimed to calm the panic.
    "In case there was any concern, these are just wall posts and not personal messages… people just forget how we used to use the wall!," he said.

Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook's founder and chief executive, was hit by the bug. His profile showed a message to a friend that said "2009 is going to be a huge year".

One Facebook user in London said last night messages from 2006 to 2008 which had been sent to her by other users had appeared on her wall and messages she had sent as private were showing up on her friend’s wall.
    She said: “This is worrying. I’m trying to figure out how to fix it. It’s scary. They are private messages and my friends and I used to dicuss private things on facebook.”
    One user wrote on Facebook: “It happened to me and I’m in London. Having checked a few other people, I’m now wishing I hadn’t!”
    Another added: “This Facebook Message thing is a huge mess. Confirmed for me. Found some private messages fully exposed on my timeline.”
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Posted By: magic momentRealsocialnetworking.

mm

@MM

You can whisper to me here if you like.
    •  
      CommentAuthoroak

Amazing mind reader reveals his 'gift'

http://youtu.be/F7pYHN9iC9I

From an article about it:

The video begins with random people being selected from the streets of Brussels. They are asked if they would like to participate in an upcoming TV program featuring Dave, described as a gifted clairvoyant. Once they agree, they are ushered into a white tent to meet Dave. He hugs them and dances around as he seemingly tries to get a sense of the person's energy. As people are seated across from him, Dave tells them random facts about them, from the color of the motorcycle they own to their bank account number and even the types and locations of their tattoos.

As the unassuming subjects become absorbed in Dave's trance and the factual information he is providing, the truth behind his magic is revealed. A curtain drops, and behind it is a group of computer hackers dressed in all black searching the Internet for information about each of the individuals. In fact, a large monitor sits in front of the hackers, displaying pictures and personal information about the subjects. Each person seems astonished, first at the curtain dropping and then at the reveal as they realize what has taken place.

The video was produced by a trade group called the Belgian Financial Sector Federation. They claim that the masked hackers dug up all the personal information on the subjects in real time while shooting the clip. They made the video to urge citizens to "be vigilant. Because Internet fraudsters can use information against you."
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2013

Weird new idea that can't work but some people are investing millions. Is this a bet that no concept targeting ignorant computer users can fail?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/09/technology/snapchat-a-growing-app-lets-you-see-it-then-you-dont.html?pagewanted=2&_r=0

The idea is that your photos disappear in a short time when posted to this site. But, OBVIOUSLY, anyone who SEES the image can press Print Scrn (or the equivalent capture utility in iOS or whatever) and the image is no longer temporary.

The other weird claim is that if the image *is* captured that way, the author will know it. Really? Just how does this web site know what keys are pressed on the remote computer? That is, without installing a key logger which would be universally unacceptable?
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2013

The idea is that your photos disappear in a short time when posted to this site.

And the other claim is OBVIOUSLY NOT that you can't make a screenshot. Anyone who READ the article
    would know it ;p
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2013

Facebook "Home". Now you can watch a silly feed ALL the time, replete with mandatory ads apparently. What fun! Everyone needs this, right?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57578241-93/one-on-one-with-the-guy-who-built-facebooks-home/
    •  
      CommentAuthoroak
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2013 edited

"Oops -- my bad."

Facebook Says Technical Flaw Exposed 6 Million Users

By REUTERS

June 21, 2013

SAN FRANCISCO — Facebook has inadvertently exposed six million users’ phone numbers and e-mail addresses to unauthorized viewers over the last year, the company said late Friday.

Facebook blamed the data leaks, which began in 2012, on a technical flaw in its huge archive of contact information collected from its 1.1 billion users worldwide. As a result of the problem, Facebook users who downloaded contact data for their list of friends obtained additional information that they were not supposed to have.

Facebook’s security team was alerted to the problem last week and fixed it within 24 hours. But Facebook did not publicly acknowledge the flaw until Friday afternoon, when it published a message on its blog explaining the situation.

A Facebook spokesman said the delay was because of a company procedure stipulating that regulators and affected users be notified before making a public announcement.

“We currently have no evidence that this bug has been exploited maliciously, and we have not received complaints from users or seen anomalous behavior on the tool or site to suggest wrongdoing,” Facebook said on its blog.

While the privacy breach was limited, “It’s still something we’re upset and embarrassed by, and we’ll work doubly hard to make sure nothing like this happens again,” it added.

The breach follows recent disclosures that several consumer Internet companies, including Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Apple and Yahoo, turned over troves of user data to a large-scale electronic surveillance program run by American intelligence officials.

The companies, led by Facebook, successfully negotiated with the United States government last week to reveal the approximate number of user information requests that each company had received, including secret national security orders.

-----------------------
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/22/business/facebook-says-technical-flaw-exposed-6-million-users.html
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2013

Dumb fucks.
    • CommentAuthorLakes

Only 6 million huh, I`m so glad I don`t have any personal info on FaceShmuck.
    • CommentAuthorscience

Never trust anything written in PHP.
    Posted By: novaI like Pat Condell's greeting.
    "Hi, I’m Pat Condell
    I don’t respect your beliefs and I don’t care if you’re offended.
    Cheers."
    Straight to the bottom line. Works for me.
    <http://www.patcondell.net/>
    Carrying the Hitch torch onward. A brave shot. It does make one realise what a superb orator was Hitchens. Still in this
    http://www.patcondell.net/transcend-this/
    I did like "it's like trying to fit a mattress into a bucket"
    •  
      CommentAuthoroak
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2015

NYT Magazine: How One Stupid Tweet Blew Up Justine Sacco’s Life

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/15/magazine/how-one-stupid-tweet-ruined-justine-saccos-life.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2015 edited

Excellent piece. Thanks.

Will we someday see a headline like "Billionaire disgraced for moletrap comment"?