Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorlegendre
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2013 edited

Posted By: maryyugo
    Posted By: legendremoreover they have the special ability to make it work.
    What do you mean by THAT?!

What do you think I meant?

It's the same with many woo-woo frauds; while some are outright, devious crooks, others are just deluded individuals who sincerely believe they have one magical power or another.

It's even more pronounced with dowsers. Watch the videos of the tests done by the JREF folks - these people are genuinely confused when they are told that their hit/miss ratio is no better than random chance. Others of course make excuses ("not the right day", "you're messing with the energy", etc).
    •  
      CommentAuthorE-Man
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2013

Wasn't Abd defending Sniffex at one point?

(or more precisely he was defending it "in principle" i.e. thinking positively can help you or something but that appeared to be something of a litmus he was using to write people off as pseudoskeptics.)
    • CommentAuthortinker

That was his intent...
    •  
      CommentAuthorlegendre

@e-man

I can neither confirm nor deny what Abd may have said - but in light of how much he said, I'll stay on the safe side and go with "yes".
    •  
      CommentAuthorE-Man

@legendre - Good point. Given the enormous volume of text that Abd produces the P(defending some point) approaches 1.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Posted By: legendreWhat do you think I meant?
    Thanks for clarifying it.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2013

The sporting thing would be to extradite the gentleman to Iraq to face charges...
    •  
      CommentAuthorGrowler
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2013

Well - he got ten years..........5 million a year, not bad going for a scam.....
    • CommentAuthortinker

And he will lose all the cash they can find...
    Posted By: GrowlerWell - he got ten years..........5 million a year, not bad going for a scam.....

I'd imagine he'll be out in five at the most. I wonder how well he hid his money.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Posted By: hairykrishna
    Posted By: GrowlerWell - he got ten years..........5 million a year, not bad going for a scam.....

I'd imagine he'll be out in five at the most. I wonder how well he hid his money.

He'd better watch out, I've sold the police some money detectors.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2013

It's a pat on the wrist but it's more fallout from the Sniffex stock fraud and it's comparatively recent:

http://www.finra.org/web/groups/industry/documents/ohodecisions/p124203.pdf
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2014

Well, it took a long time but some justice was done regarding the US version of Sniffex. Joshua Wayne Lankford was sentenced to 7 years in prison for the pump and dump part of the scheme.

$44 million stock fraud conspirator sentenced to seven years in federal prison
    By DAVID HARPER World Staff Writer on May 16, 2013, at 6:21 PM

Joshua Wayne Lankford

A man who prosecutors say was “critically involved” in a stock conspiracy that defrauded as many as 17,000 people of a total of about $44 million was sentenced Thursday in Tulsa to seven years in prison.

Joshua Wayne Lankford, 39, fled to Costa Rica after the investigation came to light and then lied about his identity and background to avoid facing the charges against him, according to a document the prosecution filed May 1. “Specifically, Lankford claimed that he was a Costa Rican citizen — and even assumed the persona of an actual Costa Rican citizen — in a desperate attempt to avoid extradition,” U.S. Department of Justice trial attorney Andrew Warren wrote in the document.

Lankford, a Dallas resident, was one of five men indicted in Tulsa federal court in January 2009 on allegations that they plotted from 2004 through 2006 to “pump up” the stock of companies and then dump the stocks at the expense of thousands of investors.

FBI Special Agent Christina Brady testified last year that Lankford flew to Costa Rica on July 26, 2008, four days after Mark Byron Lindberg, 45, pleaded guilty to conspiring to commit wire and securities fraud in a related case.

Lankford’s attorney, James Fatigante, said during Thursday’s hearing before U.S. District Judge James Payne that he believes it is unfair to label Lankford a “fugitive” because Lankford had not been charged when he went to Costa Rica. Lankford stayed in that country until being flown to Tulsa from San Jose, the capital of Costa Rica, in the custody of U.S. marshals last May 24.

He pleaded guilty Dec. 10 to a money-laundering charge. Warren’s filing alleges that Lankford “reaped approximately $7 million” from the stock manipulation alleged in the indictment. On Thursday, Lankford told the court that he left for Costa Rica in 2008 “out of fear.” He said his “intention wasn’t to go out and hurt people.”

George David Gordon, a 51-year-old former Tulsa attorney, was found guilty in May 2010 by a Tulsa federal jury of various charges in the case and was sentenced to 15 years and eight months in prison. Jurors were told during that trial that the conspiracy featured the pumping up of stock prices through meticulously coordinated trading and misleading promotions to create an artificial market for the stocks, followed by the dumping of the stock on the market. Also Thursday, co-defendant James Reskin, 54, of Louisville was sentenced by Payne to five years of probation with 200 hours of community service. Reskin pleaded guilty in March 2010 to a conspiracy charge and to misleading investigators with the Justice Department and the Internal Revenue Service during a meeting in March 2008. Reskin’s attorney, Stephen Knorr, told the court Thursday that Reskin played a minimal role and was involved in only one aspect of the overall plot.

http://sniffexquestions.blogspot.com/2013/08/who-else-is-serving-seven-years-in.html

http://ragingbull.com/forum/topic/953386
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2016

How about using Spinach instead?