Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Posted By: AngusYou can't pass the photon from filter to filter if you detect it.
    This, I think, is the problem here. All 3 events are consecutive measurements of electron spins.

I thought the 9/16 statistic interesting. I wonder if Carroll carries that fraction around in his head. I wonder if it's 33/64 for one more measurement (i.e. the general formula).

ETA: 27/64 if I did it right, so the general form is (3/4)n
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2020

Theorists calculate upper limit for possible quantization of time.

https://phys.org/news/2020-06-theorists-upper-limit-quantization.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: Andrew Palfreyman
    Posted By: AngusYou can't pass the photon from filter to filter if you detect it.
    This, I think, is the problem here. All 3 events are consecutive measurements of electron spins.

I thought the 9/16 statistic interesting. I wonder if Carroll carries that fraction around in his head. I wonder if it's 33/64 for one more measurement (i.e. the general formula).

ETA: 27/64 if I did it right, so the general form is (3/4)n

I missed the link to a video. I'll go back.
    There do seem to be some other types of weirdness associated with electrons but its over my pay level. Most things are, now.
    Tangential philosophising is cheap, though. It's all I can afford these days.
    Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanThe general form is (3/4)n
    At least this makes sense. For the nth measurement, there are 4 possibilities, 3 of which are allowed by QM:
    - an orthogonal axis to the (n-1)th measurement's axis is used, so the result is indeterminate (2 possibilities of 4)
    - the same axis to the (n-1)th measurement's axis is used, so the result is determined to be the same as before (1 possibility of 4).

It is the circumstances surrounding the disallowed case which I find so mysterious. The simple act of making an intermediate measurement on an orthogonal axis allows the once-disallowed result to now occur.
    e.g. disallowed: 0 1, but allowed: 0 + 1
    Posted By: alsetalokinIn other words, it's all fuel for the shitrocket.
    In one of Carroll's Other Many Worlds, the shitrocket is a reality in a society dominated by cruelty and a desire to travel. The galley slaves are the engine, and feed like Sumo wrestlers before the flight.

Which reminds me; never answer the question "Do you like sex and travel?"
    Wasn't there a movie like that? Some train speeding through an ice-age snowworld....
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: alsetalokinWasn't there a movie like that? Some train speeding through an ice-age snowworld....

Snowpiercer. Great film. Lousy series.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2020

Scientists Have Demonstrated Quantum Entanglement on a Tiny Satellite Orbiting Earth.

https://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-manage-quantum-entanglement-on-a-satellite-orbiting-earth
    Into The Impossible: Episode 25 - Quantum Theory and the book "What Is Real?" by Adam Becker
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxCN0TOvUEY

Philosophy of science is not irrelevant.
    Einstein as sage; Bohr as con man.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2020

Tiny quantum fluctuations observed moving 40-kg mirror.

https://newatlas.com/physics/mit-ligo-macroscale-quantum-fluctuations/
    reality shudders
    Posted By: Andrew Palfreyman
    Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanThe general form is (3/4)n
    At least this makes sense. For the nthmeasurement, there are 4 possibilities, 3 of which are allowed by QM:
    - an orthogonal axis to the (n-1)thmeasurement's axis is used, so the result is indeterminate (2 possibilities of 4)
    - the same axis to the (n-1)thmeasurement's axis is used, so the result is determined to be the same as before (1 possibility of 4).

It is the circumstances surrounding the disallowed case which I find so mysterious.The simple act of making an intermediate measurement on an orthogonal axisallows the once-disallowed result to now occur.
    e.g. disallowed: 0 1, but allowed: 0 + 1

The first 11 minutes of this vid illustrate this effect
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB50S4J4c8k&list=PLrxfgDEc2NxZJcWcrxH3jyjUUrJlnoyzX&index=17

Carroll's "explanation" really isn't.
    I think there is a demonstration using polarizing filters that illustrates this effect (or a similar one) with photons.
    What's mysterious to me is that the superposition is restored.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2020

Posted By: alsetalokinI think there is a demonstration using polarizing filters that illustrates this effect (or a similar one) with photons.

I did try to make that point.
    It's still mysterious to me that the superposition is restored.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

You guys might should be reminded of the fact that "Everything is quantum".
    That's why you are here, right?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

No.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2020

Sure?