Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorwbeaty
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2020 edited

Posted By: TrimWelcome back Bill.

Haunting 'trap since 2012. I finally got ambitious and triggered yer "actual member" algorithm.

Posted By: goatcheez
    Yeah, Bill. First in the Vortex and now in The Trap. Good to see you again!
    Terry

Mysteriously filled with oodles of Abd Lomax ENERGYGOSSIP. The private CMNS-list is in the process of being destroyed, CF researchers fleeing in disgust, Psychological Denial you could cut with a knive (then bottle and sell industrial quantities.) Veritable um, "shark-jumping?" Famous Ed Storms unsubscribes in protest, while fans leap to his defense, others creating a second invitation-only LENR forum that's far, far, FAR more inviteOnly than any other known inviteOnly LENR forum!

Not really QM topic. More like GR: Abd Lomax may have irreversibly traversed a Singular event-horizon.

---

Q: Why is academic politics always so nasty?
    A: BECAUSE THE STAKES ARE SO LOW!
    https://phys.org/news/2020-08-scientists-quantum-states-longer.html

4 orders improvement with the simple addition of an AC magnetic field.
    •  
      CommentAuthorwbeaty
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2020 edited

> 4 orders improvement

Wow, that's a Nikola Tesla trick: several emitters on exactly the same frequency, but mechanically spin the dipole at one precise rate (with receiver also spinning in synch.) If the spin-rate is faster than the coherence-time of noise sources, all other signals "integrate out," since the detector sees blasts of 0-phase rapidly followed by blasts of 180-phase, which prevents multiple-cycle energy-accumulation leading to detector-firing. (Or, for every 0-phase photon being received, an equal number of 180-phase photons are present, so no noise-photons can interact with the detector.) Tesla called this "Static-Eliminator," employing rotary-phase RF in both transmitter and receiver.

A century later, "vortex EM" was discovered, which essentially does the same thing, allowing multiple non-interacting comm channels to occupy exactly the same frequency. (And when that discovery was announced, it was met by major sneering, since it was so simple and obvious that it, if it was real, it should have been discovered decades ago, therefore it cannot be real. So there!)

And now this.

Heh, room-temperature qubits, ...then why not some room-temp superconductors, but where the Cooper pairs only survive at 300K if the material is blasted with quadrature ultrasound. Just like the movie "Cold Fusion?" (Or was that one in "The Saint?")

And for everyone else listening, the great secret is, "Just SPIN the rocks together guys!"
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin

Posted By: wbeatyJust like the movie "Cold Fusion?" (Or was that one in "The Saint?")

Maybe it was "MacGyver" ...
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: wbeatyA century later, "vortex EM" was discovered, which essentially does the same thing, allowing multiple non-interacting comm channels to occupy exactly the same frequency. (And when that discovery was announced, it was met by major sneering, since it was so simple and obvious that it, if it was real, it should have been discovered decades ago, therefore it cannot be real. So there!)

When that turned up in photonics (or maybe it started there), it sure did seem ridiculous. But so did OrthogonalFDM, which is actually used. Is any angular momentum multiplexing actually used anywhere? I baled out of the field 20 years ago so I lost track.

ETA there was a company flogging photonic angular momentum mux back in '98 I remember now. Silk Road it was called. Turned out to be a scam AFIR.
    •  
      CommentAuthorwbeaty

Posted By: AngusIs any angular momentum multiplexing actually used anywhere? I baled out of the field 20 years ago so I lost track.

Last I noticed, I vaguely recall a company w/patents on optical fiber "angular" photonics. Pumping 2X or more through existing long runs would make some dough. (Must replace all the repeaters.) But how does that work if fiber isn't guaranteed straight?

Rather than spin ...once I encountered a "steampunk mod" of opto fibers called "Serrodyne," where fiber wrapped around a piezo cylinder is subjected to AC sawtooth, causing doppler of laser-lines at whatever MHz shift you wish. A whispering-gallery with constant increasing circumference. The signal of course gets periodically disrupted by the "reset" of the sawtooth edge. Would make a great science-fair project.
    Or a guitar effect stompbox.
    It's very far away
    Takes a year and a day
    If you travel by
    Dragonfly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf_S-Yb5Nlw
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: wbeatyLast I noticed, I vaguely recall a company w/patents on optical fiber "angular" photonics. Pumping 2X or more through existing long runs would make some dough. (Must replace all the repeaters.) But how does that work if fiber isn't guaranteed straight?

I'm not quite sure we have the same thing in mind here. This is what I'm on about.

Mode evolution is the reason why any waveguide carries a mode around a slow bend. And also why it loses it at a sharp corner.
    Not just waveguides
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2020

Yup.
    •  
      CommentAuthorwbeaty
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2020 edited

Posted By: AngusYup.

Yah[1], OAM and "vortex" fiber versus conventional fiber, and any benefits removed because of mode-mixing from bent fiber, then claims of info-processing to correct the bent-fiber problem, then claims that a bench full of optical processing is now on a chip. There it is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_angular_momentum_multiplexing#Practical_demonstration_in_conventional_optical-fiber_systems

[1] Long do I wonder why Larry Niven always had characters say "Yah" rather than "Yeah." Future evolution of English? Little Alek be flarin' up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2020

Even single mode fibre has to do mode conversion going around corners because strictly speaking the lowest order mode goes in a single direction and it has to couple to the lowest order mode in another direction as it goes around the corner. Fortunately it's not too hard since the mode properties (except direction) are pretty much the same.

Multimode fibre hasn't been used for a pretty long time for long haul telecoms. But recently I hear of various schemes to employ the modes for some sort of spatial multiplex. I don't think anybody is doing it seriously. It has always been easier to get the electronics going faster and stuff in more wavelengths.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2020

Is there a trailer?

I mean, if I had seen a preview of _this_ reality, I probably would have chosen a different one.
    • CommentAuthorloreman
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2020

Posted By: alsetalokinIs there a trailer?

I mean, if I had seen a preview of _this_ reality, I probably would have chosen a different one.

Amen to that
    Stronger than Bell, even
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2020

Order of quantum measurement shown experimentally for the first time.

https://revolution-green.com/order-quantum-measurement-shown-experimentally-first-time/