Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorloreman
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2020

Posted By: Andrew Palfreyman
    Posted By: loremanYou know, I’ve been thinking about the “inviolable” first assumption that experimenters can choose which measurement to perform.
    Physicists refer to this assumption as "Non-superdeterminism", for obvious reasons.

They can call it what they like-doesn’t make it meaningful or useful.
    At least it's succint and instantly conveys how piss useless any imagined sky fairy is assumed to be.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

“In this thought experiment there is always an outcome”?

It seems so to those running the experiment only because they do not foresee their earlier demise. Or possibly just the possibility of getting fired from their cushy position in the philosophy department before the expected outcome.
    • CommentAuthorloreman

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanAt least it's succint and instantly conveys how piss useless any imagined sky fairy is assumed to be.

I’m not sure I follow your logic there.
    The assumption of superdeterminism implies that there exists some external agency (qua "god") which robs the experimenter of free will. Clearly the converse implies the opposite.
    • CommentAuthorloreman

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanThe assumption of superdeterminism implies that there exists some external agency (qua "god") which robs the experimenter of free will. Clearly the converse implies the opposite.

That’s not what I was talking about-all I was thinking is that saying that it’s inviolable that experimenters have a “choice” in what measurement to make seems to me to be a potential hole in the thought experiment. That’s because I think that “choice” is very complicated and there’s lots of stuff happening when a “choice” is made. I wasn’t talking about religion at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

It has often been noted that the experimenter and his apparatus have a wavefunction that describes their probabilities. In fact it's turtles all the way up as well.
    • CommentAuthorloreman

So is it just incomprehensible?
    Maybe, maybe not, but either way it is hubris to believe that we are capable of comprehending it.
    • CommentAuthorloreman

Wave function boundaries are interesting.
    Good fences make good neighbors.
    • CommentAuthorloreman

Good fences define neighborhoods
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Good fences give you fair price and keep their mouths shut.
    Fences invite categories
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Fencing can get you skewered.
    •  
      CommentAuthoroak

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus

That Gliddens the heart!
    People actually collect barbed wire (or "bobwar" around here). There are many different types. We have a holiday "wreath" made from a ring of tangled bobwar and an old boot.
    It just never ends with quantum mechanics
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5HyMNNSGqQ

I really should get around to throwing that Fritzof Kapra book away.