Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthormrflora
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2012

http://www.aviationweek.com/Article.aspx?id=/article-xml/AW_11_05_2012_p84-495380.xml

News about Chinese replication of Shawyer's results.

Regards,
    M.R.F.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Hope it works. It could really make spaceflight more economical if it does.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

"However, Yang says she is unable to answer questions from Aviation Week on her team's work at this time and is deferring until the end of the year for unknown reasons."
    •  
      CommentAuthorgenesis
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2012 edited

A 2010 follow-up paper calculates a possible thrust of 456 mN from a 1-kw input, and states that the team was getting positive experimental results.

it doesn't look like very useful invention at the moment tbh. it would take long long time to accelerate space craft with that low force....IIRC the total power figure for ISS was around 300KW....even if all the energy goes to engine they end up with 0.5 x 300 = 150 N ....(thats assuming that scaling is linear) comparable to a little car i guess....but with a mass of ISS , it would be very slow acceleration.
    • CommentAuthorcwatters

If I remember correctly he claimed the thrust was proportional to the Q of the system? and that it would be possible to improve this by orders of magnitude? Something like that. I forget the detail.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

It needed to be superconducting, which would take some doing with such large input of microwaves.

If that could be done, than in theory you push a car of a cliff and it wouldn't fall as long as the Emdrive was supporting it. But try to raise the car by increasing the microwave radiation and the whole kit and caboodle would fall.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: TrimIt needed to be superconducting, which would take some doing with such large input of microwaves.

If that could be done, than in theory you push a car of a cliff and it wouldn't fall as long as the Emdrive was supporting it. But try to raise the car by increasing the microwave radiation and the whole kit and caboodle would fall.
    Trim, I think that you are seriously confused as to what Shawyer's claims are.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2012

Actually I am not.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Sure trim.
    •  
      CommentAuthormrflora

• CommentAuthorjoshs

You really need to read that report carefully.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDerrickA

Posted By: joshs"However, Yang says she is unable to answer questions from Aviation Week on her team's work at this time and is deferring until the end of the year for unknown reasons."

Clearly "They" got to her. Apparently, even the MIB are exporting American jobs to China. Who knew?
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: DerrickA
    Posted By: joshs"However, Yang says she is unable to answer questions from Aviation Week on her team's work at this time and is deferring until the end of the year for unknown reasons."

Clearly "They" got to her. Apparently, even the MIB are exporting American jobs to China. Who knew?
    They are part of a group called: Reptilian Overlords Without Borders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2012

Reg

This proves it.

Mystery robot-bringing UFOs sighted by Indian troops on Tibet border

I am going back under the bed covers please tell me when they have gone.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

It's too late Trim. They know about you and they need your medications for fuel. The only answer left for you is to purchase a life insurance policy from Old Glory Insurance, the only insurance company that covers death by the metal kind of ROBOT.
    • CommentAuthorLakes

GORT is coming for you Trim!, run, runnnn!!! ;)
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Posted By: LakesGORT is coming for you Trim!, run, runnnn!!! ;)

No I will stay hidden under the bed covers, nobody knows where I am. Oops!
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Neither bed covers, nor a comfy afghan can save you from the metal ones.
    •  
      CommentAuthormrflora
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2012 edited

Just to refresh our collective memories, here is Greg Egan's critique of the Emdrive from 2007:

Resonant Modes of a Conical Cavity

Regards,
    M.R.F.