Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorpcstru
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2012

Rather than clutter up new hardware :

I was quite looking forward to the RT. The addition of a detachable keyboard holds a promise of the convenience of a tablet for consuming content with the ability to more easily create content. I like the iPAD and the little Nexus 7 is great value, but actually doing much that requires much use of the keyboard would drive me (more) potty.

Even the basic Surface (sans keyboard) is £400, the same price as an iPad 3. You get 16GB more memory on the Surface but you miss out on the stunningly gorgeous retina display. The quality of the hardware is similarly distant from the Apple - even the Nexus feels as well or better built for half the money. The screen on the nexus is smaller but frankly better. At nearly twice the size but virtually the same resolution, the SRT does show the pixels. I don't know what VaporMg, that the casing is claimed to be made out of, is. It feels like plastic and the sharp angles of the case aren't my idea of design elegance; a bit ... err ... German, imo.

The keyboard is quite neat, adding little to the bulk of the device, making it effectively a very slim notebook. It has no 'feel' to speak of. Unfortunately I think I broke my finger a while back and it's still very sore, so coupled with being quite a heavy typist makes using the keyboard actually painful. On the upside, that might cure me once and for all of the heavy typing and the keyboard is better than the on screen keyboards of all tablet devices.

RT comes with a full sized USB which will take memory sticks, mice, keyboards - basically any USB peripheral (I haven't tried game controllers). It is a nice facility that opens up doors when using the device. It also has a MicroSD slot, so it's easy to provision a bit more storage for little outlay.

The front and back cameras are frankly crap. 720p HD is 1 MP and these days that's just grim. Photo quality is fucking awful too. But tablets aren't cameras and the nexus is about the same but has only a screen facing camera (which makes scanning QR codes a pain), while the iPad is better but I still wouldn't be whipping it out at a wedding and asking the guests to smile.

The battery seems OK. I charged to full yesterday afternoon and 2pm a day later with a reasonable amount of light use, it's still 60-70%. I've not been watching much video or playing games.

A vital part of any tablet are accelerometer and/or gyroscopes used to sense orientation (and changes in orientation). The Surface seems a little troubled in this respect as does the nexus. They do get it right in the end but can be slow reacting. I've taken to using tablets in bed (fnarr fnarr) and for some reason on all tablets the angle I most frequently adopt seems to sit right on the cusp where they change. I've had to google how to lock the orientation on the iPad and Surface. I just got lucky on the nexus.

So much for the hardware. I think if this was just a tablet, it would be shockingly bad value compared to an iPad3. The keyboard though makes it difficult to isolate it into that category. It's more like a slim notebook with a touch screen that you can quickly tear down to a tablet. Overall the quality seems OK, not like it's going to just fall apart but I wouldn't be fitting castors and taking it down the skate park.

[Final Part - Software : Soon!]
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

•  
      CommentAuthorgenesis
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2012 edited

@ pcstru

uhhh..... btw how does NVtegra feels over all? any stuttering /lagging ? or is it responsive/ nippy? What kind of alternative HW like laptops/netbooks is it comparable to, in terms of performance?
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Laptops, desktops with large display screens, iPads and iPhones are all for somewhat (to dramatically) different purposes. For example, the iPhone 4S is an incredibly versatile and useful general purpose tool that it is easy to always have with you. The last thing I used it for was to translate voice input English into audio output Spanish for conversing with someone whose English is very sparse. That's probably the thirtieth useful app I got (it costs $2.99).

But I wouldn't write a paper or edit a video or even touch up an image with the iPhone, though, in theory it can do those. I see a laptop mainly as a general purpose computer you use when you need portability but it's often much less convenient and often less powerful and fast than a desktop with a proper solid keyboard, a separate mouse and a large display.

What the hell is a Surface RT for exactly? Oh, I forgot. It's very thin and it has tiles. Whooopeee!
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Surface tablets are good for keeping landfills busy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Posted By: maryyugoWhat the hell is a Surface RT for exactly?

I suspect that like an iPad, iPhone, nexus etc, it is for people that like that kind of thing.
    • CommentAuthorenginerd

Yes. There are many computing niches. How many do you have to sell in a year to make it worthwhile?
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Posted By: genesis@ pcstru

uhhh..... btw how does NVtegra feels over all? any stuttering /lagging ? or is it responsive/ nippy? What kind of alternative HW like laptops/netbooks is it comparable to, in terms of performance?

Difficult to compare. Both the nexus and surface are fine for my use for what I use them for. I do my real heavy number crunching shit on something ... much ... err ... cooler.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Posted By: enginerdYes. There are many computing niches. How many do you have to sell in a year to make it worthwhile?

I understand that YugoOS has never sold a single copy, but someone seems to like it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2012

Virtual operating systems are very useful for running the virtual simulation that is what sonoboy calls reality.

(Note careful distinction between a virtual simulation and a real simulation.)
    Yes, but can it emulate a PDP-8 with a TTY?
    •  
      CommentAuthorgenesis
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2012 edited

Posted By: pcstruI do my real heavy number crunching shit on something ... much ... err ... cooler.
    i understand...but....can it(SRT) at least compete with netbook segment like those with intel atom or AMD brazos inside......... like internet browsing , 1080p video playback and other light computing things...
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Posted By: genesisi understand...but....can it(SRT) at least compete with netbook segment like those with intel atom or AMD brazos inside......... like internet browsing , 1080p video playback and other light computing things...

I've had little problem watching video on the devices but neither the nexus or surface is physically capable of 1080p video. BBC iPlayer on the nexus has some issues - but I suspect that's a software glitch, not the device.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgenesis
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2012 edited

Posted By: pcstruneither the nexus or surface is physically capable of 1080p
    wow Nvidia tegra 3 can not do 1080p...that is a fail imo....did you try streaming 1080p from web or did you downloded file to the device and then run it....or was it both?

P.S. sorry for torturing you,but i need to know from someone who has it and knows how to...;)

P.P.S. btw is it fanless? what about the sound - loud enough? is quality relatively decent?
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Posted By: genesis
    Posted By: pcstruneither the nexus or surface is physically capable of 1080p
    wow Nvidia tegra 3 can not do 1080p...that is a fail imo....did you try streaming 1080p from web or did you downloded file to the device and then run it....or was it both?

Perhaps I was unclear, neither device has a screen that can actually render 1080p - they don't have the resolution. Sound is adequate, better on the surface than nexus, neither matches up to iPad 2 or 3. All are fanless.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgenesis

ok.thanks so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Posted By: pcstruAll are fanless.
    As far as the Surface is concerned, in both senses of the word.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Why do naked women dancers spring to my mind?
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Does the browser have a Flash plugin?
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Posted By: aber0derDoes the browser have a Flash plugin?

Yes ... but. Apparently it will only play flash on 'approved' sites.