Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorBigOilRep
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2013 edited

Posted By: alsetalokinHe dropped the keys to the P45 in the toilet just before coming onstage.

Seriously.... is that fellow something of a recurring comedy foil on that show? One of the Dragons said something that seemed to indicate he'd been on before with other ideas.

It was for a BBC charity gig back in 2009. As well as presenting, he owns half the Top Gear franchise (of which there is a US version, but with it's own presenters). He earns £3M just from the BBC - and much more from it's sales round the world. Basically, he's stinking rich and very famous in many parts of the world.
    Well, so is God... but why are his arms wet?
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2013

I don't know...it's still bugging me...
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Posted By: alsetalokinwhy are his arms wet?
    It was raining when he drove the POS in and it provides no protection against rain for that part of the body.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

And by tradition it is always raining in London. Q.E.D.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: maryyugo
    Posted By: alsetalokinwhy are his arms wet?
    It was raining when he drove the POS in and it provides no protection against rain for that part of the body.
    His arms are wet because he got water on them.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2013 edited

Meanwhile, Tesla attempts to refute bad review by NYT which sticks to its guns. They can't BOTH be right. Why would an NYT reporter deliberately attempt to sabotage a test run and in addition lie about all of it? What sense does that make? Yet it's what Tesla claims.

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2013/02/tesla-logs-nytimes/
    • CommentAuthorjoshs
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2013

I wonder what the logs say about the e-brake locking up? There's not just the reporter, there is the tow truck operator who can verify or refute the truth of that account.

I question how stupid someone would have to be to try and report lies about what they did in a car filled with data logging computers. It would also be very ballsy as that would directly expose him and his employer to a lawsuit by Tesla. OTOH, Tesla has a lot to lose and they can do anything with the data they want.

We will see which story is closer to reality.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

I am skeptical about the practicality of installing solar powered charging stations up and down both coasts. How big does the PV array have to be? How many cars could the system service properly? If they sell more cars, will they keep up with the chargers or will there be a line outside of people waiting for access? It's not like a gas station-- you stay there a few minutes. This takes an hour or more if you want nearly a full charge.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

There will be a Starbux and a McDonald's with comfy chairs.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: maryyugoI am skeptical about the practicality of installing solar powered charging stations up and down both coasts. How big does the PV array have to be? How many cars could the system service properly? If they sell more cars, will they keep up with the chargers or will there be a line outside of people waiting for access? It's not like a gas station-- you stay there a few minutes. This takes an hour or more if you want nearly a full charge.
    The arrays don't have to be very big at all. Let's say that you want to recharge 200 85kWh cars each day at each station. That only takes 17mWh energy production. Using crystalline PV panels you can get 900Wh / day / sq m on sunny days over much of the US. So you only need about 2000 sq meters of roof before taking into account storage efficiency. So call it 2500 sq meters. 50 meters by 50 meters should handle it, about half an acre of panels.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Ha! I remember we did this calculation once before when we wanted a laugh.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2013

Posted By: AngusHa! I remember we did this calculation once before when we wanted a laugh.
    Laugh now, but when I make my fortune selling solar recharger / sails / panels of death mounts you'll be sorry!
    • CommentAuthortinker

Elon Musk and co. have released the Tesla log data for the disputed test drive. Apparently, since losing a court case against 'Top Gear' in the UK (Jeremy 'wet sleeves' Clarkson's TV show) in which TG showed it on TV needing to be pushed they have always logged what happens when they loan a car for review.

There are many discrepancies between the story and the data....
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: tinkerElon Musk and co. have released the Tesla log data for the disputed test drive. Apparently, since losing a court case against 'Top Gear' in the UK (Jeremy 'wet sleeves' Clarkson's TV show) in which TG showed it on TV needing to be pushed they have always logged what happens when they loan a car for review.

There are many claimed discrepancies between the story and the data published by Tesla....
    There are two interested parties. Each tells a story. Tesla's witness is a bunch of data that they claim is true and accurate reports from their supposedly accurate on-board computers. I'd like to see what the GPS logs of the reporter's cell phone have to say. If they agree with Tesla's account then Tesla should sue the crap out of the reporter and the NYT. If not, then Tesla has a lot of explaining to do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2013 edited

Posted By: joshsTesla's witness is a bunch of data that they claim is true and accurate reports from their supposedly accurate on-board computers.

But NYT's witness is a bunch of data that they claim is true and accurate reports from their supposedly accurate cell-phone provider...
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep

The court chucked out Tesla's claim against wet-sleeves in no time, despite Top Gear's reputation for stunts.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: Angus
    Posted By: joshsTesla's witness is a bunch of data that they claim is true and accurate reports from their supposedly accurate on-board computers.

But NYT's witness is a bunch of data that they claim is true and accurate reports from their supposedly accurate cell-phone provider...
    The difference being that Tesla are directly between the data source and any consumers of the data and the NYT ostensibly are not, the reporter's cell phone carrier would be.
    •  
      CommentAuthorE-Man
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2013 edited

I was given battery-conservation advice at that time (turn off the cruise control; alternately slow down and speed up to take advantage of regenerative braking) that was later contradicted by other Tesla personnel.

I sure hope so.