Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorjoshs
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2013

I conclude that Musk is a short-fused moron. Now what he has done is shown that Tesla is an inept organization with technical support staff who do not understand their own, extremely expensive cars. If the technical support staff at Tesla cannot give clear instructions on how to use their motorized computers, they have no business blaming consumers for the bad results of their bad advice.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: alsetalokin
    I was given battery-conservation advice at that time (turn off the cruise control; alternately slow down and speed up to take advantage of regenerative braking) that was later contradicted by other Tesla personnel.

I sure hope so.
    Apparently Tesla has some folks from Island Whackado working for them if they are advising people to modulate speed as a way of conserving battery capacity in their cars. The Tesla powertrain regenerates anytime the driver lets back on the gas pedal. Since regeneration is far from 100% efficient, modulating the pedal position just wastes energy. That Tesla's moronic technical staff don't know that is an indictment of the organization.
    Yeah. Didn't Musk ever watch Knight Rider? The damn car should at least be able to locate and home in on its charging stations, ffs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: joshsApparently Tesla has some folks from Island Whackado working for them if they are advising people to modulate speed as a way of conserving battery capacity in their cars.

Whako indeed. If it worked, then they would have a regenerative braking system that gave over unity performance.
    So what are you saying... if they slowed down all the way, they'd get there with fully charged batteries?
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

What should be pretty clear is that the extra low "fuel" cost you get for pure electric isn't worth the inconveniences and an efficient diesel or hybrid-gasoline (or hybrid-diesel) is much better choice, especially the plug in versions of the hybrids.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: alsetalokinSo what are you saying... if they slowed down all the way, they'd get there with fully charged batteries?

And then they could get home again, no problems. They just have to keep slowing down from zero.
    • CommentAuthortinker

@Al. If you drive in reverse you start with a flat battery and end up fully charged.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2013

Another test drive with better results but still apparently a pain in the ass to eke out the rated mileage from the car.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/02/15/autos/tesla-model-s/

Guess you need for the lark to be on the wing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgenesis

sounds too good to be true:D:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QEqiUZ21Zic

this car , can do 0 to 100kmh in 2,9s , to 200kmh @ 6 sec , and have 1000km reserve if you are driving @ 125km/h
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Something strange here. There is no shot of the fabulous dashboard. It's just an eternal repetition of the same CGI vehicle exterior rendered in different colours.

The company website doesn't mention a car. They seem to claim to be all things to all people in solar energy.

I think it is some kind of bizarre promotion of a consultancy.
    • CommentAuthorcwatters

Posted By: maryyugoWhy would an NYT reporter deliberately attempt to sabotage a test run and in addition lie about all of it? What sense does that make?

I can't tell if you are being naive or ironic?
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2013 edited

Posted By: genesissounds too good to be true:D:D
    Looks like an investor scam in the making. Or some mental masturbation is going on. It's nothing but a bad rendering from a CAD program. My flying unicorns are more likely.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2013 edited

Posted By: cwattersI can't tell if you are being naive or ironic?
    Neither, actually. I don't understand why a reporter would lie about such a test when the lie can be so easily refuted. The guy must be nuts if that's what he did. He will end up looking like a fool. Anyway, why would anyone want to damage Tesla? At the moment, they are hardly a threat to anyone. How much do they sell, again?

See for example:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2415525,00.asp
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

From his behavior, Musk must have a big short position against his own company. BTW, Broder has come back and taken Musk and Tesla apart using their own data. Musk should have dug into the issue with Broder and gotten the facts about the deplorable advice Tesla's support gave Broder before launching into the NYT. Because he chose to go nuclear on Broder and the NYT, Musk has shown that he is a volatile idiot and his company's technical support is inept.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2013 edited

Here's what happened when a bunch of Tesla S owners tried to make the trip and prove that Broder is just a dumb guy who pays attention to bad advice from, er Tesla:

"Still, despite the drivers being well in tune with their EVs, the drive wasn't 100-percent easy. One Model S plugged into a Supercharger just stopped charging and wouldn't fill up past 180 miles of range (the target at that point was 270). Strassenversion reports that two special firmware updates (delaying the driver by an hour) were required to set things right."

Oh, boy! The shiny $100,000. toy has to get firmware updates in order to refill.

180 miles was BTW about the same range that Broder said his car reported when he left the same charging station.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin

•  
      CommentAuthorE-Man

As anyone can guess I'm a huge fan of using objective metrics instead of anecdote but the way Musk interpreted the data and then published without consulting Broder. It makes me think that Musk has some kind of persecution complex. To me anyway, it's not that someone would or would not falsify data or a review** BUT that someone would consider a deliberately sabotaged review as a likely hypothesis.

**I can't say how to bound those probabilities even though right now Broder seems to have the upperhand
    Look. It's really very simple. If I drive YOUR car and it screws up, it's obviously the fault of YOUR car, not my driving. But if you drive MY car and it screws up, it's obviously the fault of YOUR driving, not my car.
    Got it?
    Hmmm.... a large, complex and sensitive battery won't take a full charge from a computer-controlled charging system.

So.... because it's an important publicity jaunt.... we change the "firmware" so that whatever fault was keeping the charge low is ignored... this takes two separate "updates" that the other cars of the same type didn't need..... and now the Supercharger can stuff more charge into the battery than it wanted to take before, and the publicity jaunt can continue.

What could possibly go wrong?