Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorLakes
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2013

Posted By: joshsHydro dams are so yesterday. Coal fired is the rage now.
    Bah, that's old tech, coffee pellets is the way to go now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Many families have two cars. Very few families need BOTH to have long range.

I'm still trying to figure out how you build a step - car. And why.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Posted By: Lakes

What is wrong with good old fashioned fracking?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: Trim
    Posted By: Lakes

What is wrong with good old fashioned fracking?

Water.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Use beer then.
    • CommentAuthortinker

Beer is for slacking, not fracking
    Beer? I had a lot of that Friday night (Fuller's ESB). An ex nuclear submarine engineer/physicist and lacrosse league bigwig insisted I hear this

Nymphomaniacal Jill
    Tried a dynamite stick for a thrill
    They found her vagina
    Way over in China
    And bits of her tits in Brazil

Later, we sang Wild Rover and Irish Rover, but the applause was muted.
    Posted By: Andrew Palfreyman

Later, we sang Wild Rover and Irish Rover, but the applause was muted.

Keep your day job.
    I'm unemployed and looking. Got some?
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Posted By: magic moment
    Posted By: joshs$100k car is not consumer.

How about a 200 mile, $40KTeslawith batwings?
    I don't think the X will sell for anything like $40K. Far as I can tell they are not saying the price yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2013 edited

Posted By: joshsAnd that is before we start dealing with how many nameplate wH it really takes to go a mile when it isn't 65F outside.
    That's the thing. Teslas seem to be rated mostly for balmy dry days and level ground and also, only when the lark is on the wing. I think it will take some sort of true battery revolution before all electrics really catch on, no matter how foxy Musk makes them. BTW, I saw one of the Tesla sportsters the other day at a marina locally. It was a pretty Lotus which looked tiny and some of the parts looked hand made. Plenty of carbon fiber. It looked delicate. Like a lovely little bug. Perfect for a wealthy teen but most likely nobody else.

There's a model S in my neighborhood also. The sedan is different. Reasonably spacious but very low and somewhat extremely styled. And then there's that 17" LCD screen instead of dash instruments. I can't exactly say why because the craftsmanship is obviously excellent, but I would not want that thing. Maybe with twenty more years of evolution.
    In a previous life I drove a Lotus Elan S3. Until I took it through a shop window in Addlestone, Surrey.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Posted By: magic momenthttp://www.dailyfinance.com/2013/06/08/teslas-dirty-little-secret/
    Uh... that's just an ad for a Motley Fool report and presumably subscription. They also have such wisdom as:
    The Death of the PC
    The days of paying for costly software upgrades are numbered. The PC will soon be obsolete.

The PC obsolete? Maybe they've never used a tablet or a large (and clumsy, inconvenient) touch screen. As for Microsoft's cloud subscription model, OK, you won't pay for costly upgrades. You'll pay for way more costly permanent subscriptions which renew automatically and drain your bank account into Microsoft's coffers. If they have their way, of course, which isn't likely.

I am betting that the desktop PC with a moderate size screen and at least some local CPU, RAM and HD capability is not going away any time soon. Virtually every office in the land uses one on virtually every desk.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin

Posted By: maryyugoVirtually every office in the land uses one on virtually every desk.

And as Micro$oft become more and more like themselves every day, more and more of those perfectly good desktops will be migrating to an alternate OS that lets their owners do what _they_ want to do with their computers, rather than what the Micro$oft-Military-Industrial-Ikea complex wants you to do with them.
    •  
      CommentAuthoroak

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanBeer? I had a lot of that Friday night (Fuller's ESB). An ex nuclear submarine engineer/physicist and lacrosse league bigwig insisted I hear this

And you, in turn, deemed it worth sharing . . .
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Posted By: alsetalokin
    Posted By: maryyugoVirtually every office in the land uses one on virtually every desk.

And as Micro$oft become more and more like themselves every day, more and more of those perfectly good desktops will be migrating to an alternate OS that lets their owners do what _they_ want to do with their computers, rather than what the Micro$oft-Military-Industrial-Ikea complex wants you to do with them.

My exposure to office and lab computers is no longer what it used to be but most of the ones I see run either WinXP or Win7 (when they aren't Mac's). A few I saw run Win8. Linux is rare in corporate or retail settings, far as I can see. Of course, it's very usual at the server level and for special purposes, for example TiVo (which is a remarkably slow and conservative system which still manages to crash resoundingly to a cold boot from time to time). Blame it on the cablecard. TiVo does.
    And you, in turn, deemed it worth sharing . . .
    No sign of the Constable as yet. I suspect I got away with it
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

The Tesla battery pack swap conditions (burdensome, or would be for me) and expensive.

A battery pack swap will cost between $60 and $80, about the same as filling up a 15-gallon gas tank, Musk said. Drivers who choose to swap must reclaim their original battery on their return trip or pay the difference in cost for the new pack.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/21/us-tesla-swap-idUSBRE95K07H20130621

Yes but a 15 gallon fillup on a hybrid will go more than twice as far.

So then, why bother with electric?