Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2013 edited

Looks as if Better Place went belly up. They used a new electric car, the Renault Flatulence. Is that a graphic on the right front door or is it bird shit?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Better_Place

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Renault_Fluence_Z.E._%E2%80%93_Frontansicht,_11._Februar_2013,_D%C3%BCsseldorf.jpg

Actually, I am being cynical but I wish some of these schemes would work as a substitute to writing blank checks to the Arabs, Venezuelans and other non-friendly tribes.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2013

Posted By: maryyugoYes but a 15 gallon fillup on a hybrid will go more than twice as far.

So then, why bother with electric?

Just so. I strongly believe that eventually, ICE-only vehicles will be in the minority. But the technology and infrastructure for electric isn't there now. I believe that a hybrid represents technology that's forward-looking enough to be practical.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Posted By: AsterixBut the technology and infrastructure for electric isn't there now. I believe that a hybrid represents technology that's forward-looking enough to be practical.
    Every other new car you see in Socal these days seems to be a Prius (or other hybrid). The Prius is a really adequate little car except for its horrible acceleration especially on hills at speed.
    I think the Prius does a fine job of accelerating down hills.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

A friend of mine named hers Runzonni. I asked her why. She said "because it runzonni down hill".
    • CommentAuthorkorkskrew

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanI think the Prius does a fine job of accelerating down hills.

All right. Now you're bad-mouthing my baby.

Several times a year I have the dubious pleasure of driving from Boulder to Grand Junction on I70 in Colorado. I'll vouch for it being the most scenic highway in the world, but right at the start, there's a merge ramp from hell on a section where most cars just struggle to maintain speed.

My Prius out accelerates the majority of the cars on that ramp, and I head straight to the passing lane once I'm on, because I have no problem keeping my speed all the way. My Prius is an excellent car, and you speak as one who hasn't driven one. If you want to pick on a pussy car stick with the Focus or something.

ETA: and your mother sucks bears in the forest.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Posted By: korkskrewMy Prius is an excellent car, and you speak as one who hasn't driven one. If you want to pick on a pussy car stick with the Focus or something.
    I rented one twice. I mostly liked it. But one time, I tried to merge into the car pool lane. I was probably going around 60 and the traffic in the car pool lane on a slight up grade was doing 75. I floored the accelerator and almost nothing happened. The car behind me almost ate my rear bumper and signified his frustrations with a loud honk. Priuses don't pass well on a slight grade. Now my old GM Belchfire simply downshifts and roars on. Before this Belchfire, I had another one with an engine-driven supercharger (GM L67 engine with Eaton M90 supercharger). Believe it or not, this was stock in high end GM mid sized cars in the 1990's. Now that accelerated *eagerly* all the way to red line in each gear (well... I never tried redlining the high gear). I miss it.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

The Prius made sense to me in that my home is 600 feet above the valley floor (where town is). Might as well do something with the downhill energy rather than wasting it as heat. So far, so good.
    •  
      CommentAuthormrflora

Posted By: maryyugo
    There's a model S in my neighborhood also. The sedan is different. Reasonably spacious but very low and somewhat extremely styled. And then there's that 17" LCD screen instead of dash instruments. I can't exactly say why because the craftsmanship is obviously excellent, but I would not want that thing. Maybe with twenty more years of evolution.

Maryyugo, I expect you will be dead in twenty years.

Regards,
    M.R.F.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Posted By: mrfloraMaryyugo, I expect you will be dead in twenty years.
    Only if I am shot by a jealous spouse!
    Gender neutrality noted, Pat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwT1kp0C3Ss
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: korkskrewMy Prius is an excellent car, and you speak as one who hasn't driven one. If you want to pick on a pussy car stick with the Focus or something.
    I rented one twice. I mostly liked it. But one time, I tried to merge into the car pool lane. I was probably going around 60 and the traffic in the car pool lane on a slight up grade was doing 75. I floored the accelerator and almost nothing happened. The car behind me almost ate my rear bumper and signified his frustrations with a loud honk. Priuses don't pass well on a slight grade. Now my old GM Belchfire simply downshifts and roars on. Before this Belchfire, I had another one with an engine-driven supercharger (GM L67 engine with Eaton M90 supercharger). Believe it or not, this was stock in high end GM mid sized cars in the 1990's. Now that accelerated *eagerly* all the way to red line in each gear (well... I never tried redlining the high gear). I miss it.

I'll back korkscrew on that. Mine worked fine on acceleration. Electric motors do. Especially when backed by a little ICE as well.

But you were doing it wrong. The thrill of driving a hybrid is to drive it for maximum fuel efficiency. Number one rule is "never accelerate - drift slowly and gracefully away from the stop sign" the way you should to drive any car efficiently.

And piss the hell out of everybody behind because they are conditioned to burn maximum fuel getting up to speed immediately so they can radiate it out of the brakes at the next light.

I love doing that.
    • CommentAuthorkorkskrew

Under normal circumstances I would agree, but there are plenty of pisser offers on that hill, I prefer the pissed off lane there.

You do know what is called the person who accelerates faster than everyone else, don't you?
    "Jerk."

And your mother sucks bears in the forest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Not that one. It's warthogs in the high street at noon.
    • CommentAuthorloreman

Interestingly (because we are seen as something as a test market for the rest of the first world as we have a smallish, reasonably tech savvy, highly urbanised population) the Prius seems to have come and gone here. Lots of them around 5 years ago, haven't seen one for ages.
    Oh, got over the Prius did we? Isn't that special? Well, Mr. La-dee-da, some of us aren't as advanced and urbane and tech savvy as you lot, are we? Oh no, not as far as getting over Priuses is concerned. I suppose we all ought to grovel and tug our forelocks as we carefully note your next chosen mode of transportation. Ever so 'umble, squire. I suppose you think that we'll be lucky around here to get over the bicycle. Snort.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

pretty well every taxicab in Vancouver is a Prius.
    • CommentAuthorloreman

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanOh, got over the Prius did we? Isn't that special? Well, Mr. La-dee-da, some of us aren't asadvancedandurbaneandtech savvyas you lot, are we? Oh no, not as far as getting over Priuses is concerned. I suppose we all ought to grovel and tug our forelocks as we carefully note your next chosen mode of transportation. Ever so 'umble, squire. I suppose you think that we'll be lucky around here to get over the bicycle. Snort.

Probably.

And remember, Abba broke here first, so let that be a lesson to you.

The Toyota HiLux is the most popular vehicle here at the moment. I suspect everybody is feeling a little defensive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2013 edited

The Toyota HiLux seems to be the favourite on every little impoverished tropical island I visit. No offence, of course.

How did you break Abba? They seemed to be fine last time I saw them, which was, let's see.... well, maybe quite a while ago. But there's Mamma Mia!