Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2013

Looks like proponents of cold fusion think it will become real if they stuff a little-known or care about ballot box:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/what-energy-sources-offer-the-most-promise-for-the-us/64c17cf4-c96f-11e2-8da7-d274bc611a47_topic.html
    • CommentAuthorLakes
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2013

Posted By: alsetalokinWait until they hear about Fleisswater (tm TKLabs GmbH), the newest product from our European branch. Its properties are still secret (this week's "soon" announcement has been postponed until soon-after-next, sorry for the inconvenience) but are guaranteed nevertheless.

And anybody who doesn't do their due diligence gets a swat upside the head.
    FlissWassa? Wassa that? ;)
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2013

Anything like Ice-Nine?
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2013

U of Missouri goes a bit deeper into the rabbit hole.

https://news.missouri.edu/2013/07/02/tabletop-nuclear-fusion/
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2013

Posted By: maryyugoU of Missouri goes a bit deeper into the rabbit hole.

https://news.missouri.edu/2013/07/02/tabletop-nuclear-fusion/

"Vice-chancellor of Research"

We're not very larded up with administrative staff, are we?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2013

He seems to be an aficionado of ergonomic bicycle deign, at least.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2013 edited

Posted By: AngusHe seems to be an aficionado of ergonomic bicycle deign, at least.

Speaking of which....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Cqq1ZZOjpU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syJq10EQkog

Note the fallacy involved in the first design: They think a bicyclist doesn't use upper arm strength, so they make the "motor" turn some manu-als with his arms, thinking this will help extract more power from the poor motor.
    The second design must have had some cyclists on the team: they use a stock, proven, high-output ergonomic design that allows the motor to put his upper body strength behind the legs, adding to the power output from leg muscles alone.

Note also the lesson for CF/LENR: if it's possible..... even something so unlikely as a HPH.... a dedicated team will find a way to accomplish it eventually, with unequivocal results, once you turn loose enough motivated graduate students on the problem.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2013 edited

I have always wanted to bet against Rossi and Defkalion. There is no point to betting against huge odds like 1000:1 except maybe to make a point. I won't risk or tie down money to make a point. But I would risk money to make money. So I just noticed the existence (or actually *former* existence) of Intrade. It's shut down now for probable fraud but Google it if you're not familiar. It enabled making bets on almost anything as long as someone took the other side and put down some real money.

Wouldn't it have been fun to bet against Rothwell, Brewery (Bowery), Ackland, and all the other vociferous and unpleasant believers? Even a $10 bet would have been fun. It looks as if someone actually did do a bet.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/chat/2435697/posts

But it was about replication of an obscure experiment and he won. I wouldn't bet on something like that because it's too vague.

I would bet that no product will be on the market in a year or two years. Same with properly performed independent confirmation that Defkalion or Rossi have reactors that take in a bit of power and cough out dozens of kW.

Oh well, most of those believers either have no money or would not be willing to go with an easily testable bet anyway. Too bad. It'd be fun.

I looked at some Intrade "substitute" but far as I can tell, they're pretty lame and most if not all are not taking bets from US customers. Pity.

ETA: I offered Ransom in response to his challenge, an even bet of $10,000 that there will be no commercial product by end of 2014. Haven't heard from him yet. Maybe he's still writing up the contract?

Meanwhile, ecatnews.com is down. Times out.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin

I can't tell you how absolutely distraught that makes me feel.

(said Jeeves)
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2013

Posted By: alsetalokinI can't tell you how absolutely distraught that makes me feel.
    I can feel your pain. What in particular is distraughting you?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: maryyugo
    Posted By: alsetalokinI can't tell you how absolutely distraught that makes me feel.
    I can feel your pain. What in particular is distraughting you?

The verb you are seeking is, in the infinitive form, "to distract". You should ask al what is distracting him.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Posted By: AngusThe verb you are seeking is, in the infinitive form, "to distract". You should ask al what is distracting him.

While "distraught" can mean "distracted", it carries a sense of "worried" or "pained" also. According to my disctionary the word is a ME mongrel of the pp. of "distract" and "stretch". So someone placed on the rack might (rightly) feel distraught.

For a chuckle, I might want to look it up in Weekley, but right now, my copy is buried.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

"distracted" = "worried" in one meaning, as you say. One of John Dowland's dreary but beautiful pieces is called "A Sad Pavan for these Distracted Tymes".

"distrait" is also an early form, I believe
    Definition of DISTRAIT

: apprehensively divided or withdrawn in attention : distracted

(said Jeeves)
    It is not a manservant's place to inform as to his state of mind. This remains better unsaid.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: Andrew Palfreyman

(said Jeeves)
    It is not a manservant's place to inform as to his state of mind. This remains better unsaid.

Excellent point.
    Every morning for three terms an aged retired whore from the town would stagger into my bedroom bearing an enormous porcelain jug filled with hot water, and pour it into the large porcelain bowl on the washstand, on the lower level of which sat a stout porcelain pottie. "Mornin' Sir" she would cry in her local burr.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanEvery morning for three terms an aged retired whore from the town would stagger into my bedroom bearing an enormous porcelain jug filled with hot water, and pour it into the large porcelain bowl on the washstand, on the lower level of which sat a stout porcelain pottie. "Mornin' Sir" she would cry in her local burr.

Hmmm....so far a tie between the Miller Award and the Oliver St John Gogarty Prize.
    http://www.nasbr.org/miller.html
    I resent any connection, either explicit or implied, to Bat Research.

As for Gogarty, he was not too keen on literal descriptions of real life, as was this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Ringsend

(after reading Tolstoy) Oliver St. John Gogarty

I will live in Ringsend
    With a red-headed whore,
    And the fan-light gone in
    Where it lights the hall-door,
    And listen each night
    For her querulous shout,
    As at last she streels in
    And the pubs empty out.
    To soothe that wild breast
    With my old-fangled songs,
    Till she feels it redressed
    From inordinate wrongs,
    Imagined, outrageous,
    Preposterous wrongs,
    Till peace at last comes,
    Shall be all I will do,
    Where the little lamp blooms
    Like a rose in the stew;
    And up the back garden
    The sound comes to me
    Of the lapsing, unsoilable,
    Whispering sea.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin

Posted By: Andrew Palfreyman

(said Jeeves)

That is precisely why I can't tell you about it, Sir, and thank you. Will that be oll?