Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

I think the issue should be relentlessly pursued especially considering Kim's involvement as a witless dupe whose name will now forever be associated with Defkalion.

Given:
    -a HV duty cycle of 20 percent ON and a frequency of... what was it, 10 Hz or so?
    -a 1.6 Tesla field at 20 cm from the apparatus

Unknown:
    -Was the field a DC field or was it synchronous with the HV duty cycle, or was it simply filtered by the Gaussmeter somehow so that this information isn't available?

Questions:
    -If the field oscillated or pulsated at the HV frequency, would the Vorticians expect eddy current power dissipation in "shield" materials like the walls of a double Faraday Cage?
    -If the field did not oscillate but was DC and somehow associated with the reaction itself continuing between pulsations of the power supply..... do the Vorticians think it might have produced perceptible attractive forces on metals in the vicinity?

The reason mu-metal can "shield" magnetism is because it itself is strongly attracted by magnets, but I don't think anyone has yet claimed that the "faraday cages" were mu-metal. Presumably they were the walls of the reactor itself and perhaps the insulated box that housed the active device. Was the box made of lead sheets? I don't know if they mentioned this box, or where this Faraday Cage is supposed to be.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2013 edited

Posted By: alsetalokinGiven:
    -a HV duty cycle of 20 percent ON and a frequency of... what was it, 10 Hz or so?

A quick hack with Faraday's law says about 1100 amps if the Faraday cage consists of a single turn of 12 gauge copper wire with a radius of 10 cm and there is a uniform field of 1.6 T within the loop. Of course the current would be higher if you increased the cross-sectional area of the wire by turning it into the wall of a box.
    Mats Levan went within mm's of the outer box surface with a current loop on the end of his scope probe, and saw nada, zip, nuttin
    Higgins@Vort said (I already posted the link)

In Dr. Y. E. Kim's ICCF-18 presentation he reported that at initiation of
    the "sparking" drive, the external magnetic field was measured as 0.6
    Tesla. [He did not say what the magnetic field was while cold or during
    warm-up, but the implication was that there was little or no field.] When
    excess heat was fully engaged, the magnetic field measured 1.6 Tesla. In
    his talk, he had little else to say about the magnetic field, so in the
    break after the presentation, I asked him what else he knew about it. Was
    it static? How was it distributed around the reactor? He said that he had
    very little information on the magnetic field. He said that DGT measured it
    with a single, low frequency probe/meter [like one might use to measure the
    magnitude of the magnetic field strength in a gap]. The magnetic field is
    apparently a new realization for DGT and they will be investigating it
    further.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlegendre

Posted By: alsetalokinI think the issue should be relentlessly pursued especially considering Kim's involvement as a witless dupe whose name will now forever be associated with Defkalion.

It will?

I was under the impression that this was simply a brief, passing reference by Dr. Kim - more or less what you might call reported speech. If not, then please refresh us on the actual context..

I understood that Kim was discussing LENR in a general way, when he peripherally reported Hajichristos' comments. Was DGT / Hyperion the sole focus of Kim's presentation at the conference?
    Posted By: legendreIf not, then please refresh us on the actual context..

The _relevant_ context is that Dr Kim has some credibility due to his credentials, and he emitted a statement that the sheep will take as further evidence of something remarkable happening within Defkalion's reactor.
    Googling
    Kim Defkalion
    at the moment gives 20,400 hits already. Do you think this number will shrink over the next few days? I don't.
    It's fine talking in general terms about scams and hoaxes and liars, but when you see someone who has worked hard all their life being drawn in and duped like this, and whose considerable reputation is being leveraged to promote an untruth - it makes me angry.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin

Posted By: Angus
    Posted By: alsetalokinGiven:

A quick hack with Faraday's law says about 1100 amps if the Faraday cage consists of a single turn of 12 gauge copper wire with a radius of 10 cm and there is a uniform field of 1.6 T within the loop. Of course the current would be higher if you increased the cross-sectional area of the wire by turning it into the wall of a box.

Thank you. I believe we have reduced Hadjichristos his claim, and Kim's repetition thereof, of a strong magnetic field, AC or DC, at a detectable distance outside the reactor core itself.... to a small but still very odoriferous puddle of absurdity.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2013

I can't find it now but for a time the Defkalion page had a paper from Kim on it. This was months ago. Pretty much the same stuff I think.

He has been writing about LENR for many years and has a theory of how it could work. It's easy to imagine him talking himself into the belief that DGT is validating all his effort.
    Oh sure - that's why Rossi picked Essen, for example.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Vortidiots. Egley is a nut case. Go to his web site and read his shit:

http://greentechinfo.eu/?q=content/about-george-egely

For example:

he first read about scientific anomalies such as healing by laying on of hands. He soon became interested in examining these unknown phenomena, objectively, using the tools of science. After returning home from the US, and looking through the relevant scientific literature, he decided to try to create a kind of measurement system capable of ascertaining the existence of this so-called bio-energy, or life energy. (Since research into paranormal phenomena was at that time considered as a "forbidden" area of science, he began by investigating ball lightning.

Ball lightning is a natural phenomenon that, observationally, causes anomalies similar to those caused by bio-energy. He published his observations, and his theory on the nature of ball lightning in his book titled "Ball Lightning – Is the Key in the 4th Dimension?".)

Obviously, he never read then 12 year old Emily Rosa's paper in the AMA Journal testing a then popular version of laying on of hands, therapeutic touch. Of course, Rosa found that the proponents of this diagnostic and treatment method could not even tell if there was a person present when their eyes were covered. Laying on of hands indeed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emily_Rosa
    I was going to read that after I posted. Oh well - your daily dose of Woo has been delivered, I guess.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

[Emily Rosa]Keynoted the 1998 Ig Nobel Ceremonies at Harvard, and accepted the Award in Science Education for an absent Dolores Krieger, who "could not or would not attend" herself. Krieger, a nursing professor and co-inventor of Therapeutic Touch, was cited "for demonstrating the merits of therapeutic touch, a method by which nurses manipulate the energy fields of ailing patients by carefully avoiding physical contact with those patients." In her keynote, Rosa expressed her gratitude that Dr. Krieger had, for two decades, left basic research in TT for her to do. The next day, Rosa delivered an "Ig Nobel" Address at MIT.

This would be hilarious if it were not for the fact that "patients" of these scammers wasted millions of dollars on it before it was unfrocked as bullshit. Worse yet, related hogwash like "facilitate communications" broke up families and caused innocent people to languish in jail and expend their life savings in defending themselves when this totally invalid idea created the impression that entirely innocent people were abusing their autistic children.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facilitated_communication

http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/swift-blog/783-this-cruel-farce-has-to-stop.html

This is the simplest thing in the world to test-- you just show the subject and the facilitator different images and ask the subject to type what they see. INVARIABLY they "type" what the facilitator sees. Case closed. Oh noe... not for the gullibles. Front Line (PBS) blew it out of the water.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/programs/transcripts/1202.html
    • CommentAuthortinker

If you are really interested in Autism, this is an excellent first person account...

http://www.newstatesman.com/culture/2013/07/reason-i-jump-naoki-higashida-autism-inside
    Posted By: tinkerIf you are really interested in Autism, this is an excellent first person account...

http://www.newstatesman.com/culture/2013/07/reason-i-jump-naoki-higashida-autism-inside

Once you understand how Higashida managed to write this book, you lose your heart to him. It’s a slim little volume, but in order to write a single word he had to select and point to each character on an alphabet grid drawn on paper, while someone sat beside him transcribing the words he formed. His autism is such that dictation was out of the question and computers were too distracting. Every letter was painstakingly chosen and deliberately selected. With all the effort that has gone into putting these words before our eyes, it’s impossible still to think that autistic people prefer their loneliness. Higashida has shown us that they are just waiting for us to have the patience to listen to what they want to say.

This sounds suspiciously like "facilitated communication" to me.

I believe this to be a work of fiction.
    • CommentAuthortinker

Believe what you like. It is a very involving and deeply interesting book.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Posted By: alsetalokinHis autism is such that dictation was out of the question and computers were too distracting.

That last part makes no sense at all. All the user has to be involved with is a touch screen. In no way is that more distracting or difficult than pointing to a piece of paper. If pressing the screen is a problem, a special screen that requires only pointing and a close approach rather than actual touch is needed. It can be made as large as necessary to separate the letters. You are asking us to believe that an autistic (or whatever) individual can spell out words letter by letter on a piece of paper but can't speak or point to a mechanical device? Silly.

Always remember, in any scam, the part you don't get and which doesn't make sense is most likely the part which will "get you".
    • CommentAuthortinker
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2013

Nonsense Mary. I know somebody with Asperger's who cannot bear to be near a pencil because of 'the way they smell'. The quirks of the human mind (in sickness and in health) are more complex than you can possibly imagine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2013

On this I agree with tink. While we do have autism in the near family it is not in my own. We, on the other hand, have very serious dyslexia. People kept pushing computer solutions at us, particularly voice-to-text stuff. That stuff makes real dyslexics panic, however sensible it might seem to others.

In the end my son with the affliction makes out on his own, using email and the internet as his primary source of input and communication, totally self-taught. But you have to know him to be able to read his stuff. It is a far more damaging condition than people seem to realise.

The reason for this rant is that I learned the slow and hard way that what seems sensible to one intelligent person may seem manaically stupid and inappropriate to another intelligent person with a disability.