Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2013

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanI know next to nothing about gamma radiation measurement, and so simply took the announcement at face value. What could be responsible for the elevated rate, then?
    I also don't know much about radiation measurements. Somebody at ecatnews.com suggested it's analogous to the temperature measurement issue with isoperibolic calorimetry-- small changes lost in large amounts of baseline noise. But with radiation, I really don't know.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuanten
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2013

Depends on what you want to measure. Gamma/neutron flux should not have that much noise at sea level, in a closed room isolated enough with non granitic material. IIRC the number is something akin 40 neutron per second per square meter in normal background noise radiation in labs ? If their supposed measured cold fusion is below that... well.... That would be hardly differentiable from background noise. But then it would also be hardly detectable and certainly not a source of "energy".... And certainly not the claim of all the kooks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuanten
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2013 edited

1000 count (or 250.000 at 50 cm) is quite a lot above background (in becquerel), but not a lot in total radiation. At 25 keV I am not even reaching the Nano-Sv here (using my reference man of 100 kg and 2m + 1m at 50 cm of the apparatus). I might have made an error of calculation though.

ETA: and in joule it is pitiful. We are speaking of nano joule here. 250,000 counts.s-1*25,000 eV ~= 10^-9 J.s-1. Assuming for a second my reference 100 kg 2m*50 cm square man is absorbing all of it, we are speaking of 10^-11 Sv.s-1, or accumulated over 1 year : 13 micro-Sv.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuanten

Also rossi really understand nothing of physic. If a phenomenon start emitting so many radiation, there is no way it would stop and continue heating the stuff. It would continuously emit so many as long as "fusion" still occurs. And if fusion was occurring, the energy produced by it would be proportional to the emitted radiation baring shielding. Unless I forgot something , he again has shown he is tricking.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Posted By: QuantenAlso rossi really understand nothing of physic. If a phenomenon start emitting so many radiation, there is no way it would stop and continue heating the stuff. It would continuously emit so many as long as "fusion" still occurs. And if fusion was occurring, the energy produced by it would be proportional to the emitted radiation baring shielding. Unless I forgot something , he again has shown he is tricking.
    Yes. The so-called LENR community is relying on ONE *CLAIMED* MEASUREMENT by ONE PERSON (Celani) at ONE DEMO. It is incomprehensible that nobody has measured any radiation in any Rossi fabrication since.

Posted By: QuantenDepends on what you want to measure. Gamma/neutron flux should not have that much noise at sea level, in a closed room isolated enough with non granitic material. IIRC the number is something akin 40 neutron per second per square meter in normal background noise radiation in labs ? If their supposed measured cold fusion is below that... well.... That would be hardly differentiable from background noise. But then it would also be hardly detectable and certainly not a source of "energy".... And certainly not the claim of all the kooks.
    One experiment I recall reading about indeed was talking about a range of around 40/second etc.. I can't remember which one it was.
    • CommentAuthortinker

This what somebody who was there said in an email to me. "I've seen Rossi's experiments close up, public and private, more than once. Bianchini always set up his radiation counters, and never got anything significant over background. And Bianchini's detectors, I believe, didn't pick up anything that time, Jan 11th, either. Nor did the neutron detector."
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Posted By: QuantenAlso rossi really understand nothing of physic.

I believe that Mr. Rossi's understanding of physic extends to a hot-water bottle and a rubber hose.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2013

...and with all their 'cold fusion' expertise they can't even build a better fridge. Cold fusion subculture should be actively ignored, if not suppressed or ridiculed.
    We are working on the ridicule aspect.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuanten
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2013

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanWe are working on the ridicule aspect.

I disagree. By now the ridicule, they got wrapped up, patented, and are flooding the market with it.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2013 edited

Posted By: maryyugoFrom Alain Sepeda via Vortex:

Applied nuclear fusion
    Lenr cars. The start-up develops Lausanne a new generation of electric motors.

"The technology we are developing will allow a car to travel 40,000 kilometers on a single tank of fuel without generating any waste."
    This ambitious project comes from Nicolas Chauvin, founder and CEO of startup LENR Cars, based at the EPFL (Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale). To meet this challenge, this Logitech and NASA former engineer, uses a technology called nuclear fusion LENR (Low Energy Nuclear Reactions).

To date, the prototype is being developed. Its final version should be released in 2014. Funded initially by private funds, including those of its creator, the company can also count on the support of the founder of Logitech , Daniel Borel. "He was immediately fascinated by the project. His many contacts we are also very valuable. "However, the company seeking additional funds. "We are not looking for significant funding for now. 200,000 francs (swiss franc) allow us to continue the development of our prototype. "LENR Cars is currently in talks with several automakers, including PSA (Peugeot-Citroen) and Telsa groups. Though the start-up is only on the development of this specific segment of the market can change quickly. "This is a risky area or can go very fast. It is likely that within five years the energy giants are involved significantly in this revolutionary technology. "
    Many scientists and journalists are indeed of the opinion that LENR technology represents one of the greatest discovery of mankind. "The problem is that the huge economic stakes and the pressure of oil and nuclear industries likely to jeopardize this new breakthrough."

Apparently, this obvious scam has legs. Is Chauvin the new Rossi? The new Steorn?

http://www.e-catworld.com/2013/12/lenr-cars-responds-to-investor-questions/

Where you find this new BS:

When asked about whether LENR Cars has built a prototype LENR system, Chauvin responds:

“Yes, We have built 3 prototypes of 2 different kinds:
    - 1 with an electrolytic process where hydrogen is extracted from water
    - 2 with gaseous hydrogen at low pressure (30 psi)

We are currently building a third type of design based on nickel nano-powder and hydrogen at medium pressure (150 psi).

Currently, we can produce between 10-15 Watt from the reaction for more than one month in a continuous and stable manner.
    With the new design, we expect to scale the power up between 500W and 1kW.

We are also collaborating with other teams in the US that have similar or better results. And we are sharing some ideas.”

Also, when asked about customers LENR Cars has consulted for, he says there are 5 that customers that have paid for consulting services in the LENR field:

- “Confidential”: a large European industrial company (under NDA, we cannot mention them).
    - SIG: a Swiss utility company
    - Moravsky Vyzkum: a Czech high tech robotics and energy company
    - Quantum Heat: a partner company developing this technology in collaboration with us
    - Transaltec: a Swiss company organizing conferences

His earlier presentation at ICCF18 in case you have time to waste which I don't so I didn't watch it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRm1N1LPibY

Supposedly he has cooperation with Defkalion! Whoopee.

I did take a moment to copy this (wowee,zowee!):

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2013

Seems to me that Defkalion's "Milan Laboratory" was run by one Sig. Celani, who has a most interesting, if not very confidence-building, CV.
    They have built prototypes based on a 15-watt reactor?
    Are these Matchbox Cars?
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

I think they confuse "models" with (non-functional) "prototypes"
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Posted By: OmphaloskepticThey have built prototypes based on a 15-watt reactor?
    Not to mention that a small device based on LENR and which could produce 15W for a month on minimal fuel would be a ground breaking achievement for the century and a likely Nobel winner for the inventor. Also probably worth billions of dollars!

@Angus
    Celani worked with Defkalion? Where do we know that from?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

At present only my imperfect memory. I recall there was once announced that they had a Milan operation under the direction of somebody with an Italianate name starting with C.
    Hmm! - a LENR chauvinist
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2013 edited

Posted By: AngusAt present only my imperfect memory. I recall there was once announced that they had a Milan operation under the direction of somebody with an Italianate name starting with C.

Capiello I believe. Or maybe it was Cioppino. I get confused with those Italian names.
    •  
      CommentAuthorE-Man
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2013

I remember Mr. Ciabatta he was a prolific theoretical physicist. His partner Emile Prosciutto was an excellent experimentalist and he...uh...I'll be right back...I need to make a sandwich.
    I wonder if any of these LENR car geniuses have done any of the math? Given that electric cars get about 3 miles from a kWh of battery energy, the LENR car would have to be powered by a device that produces somewhat more than 20 kW of electrical power - probably more like 30 or more - in order to travel at highway speeds for appreciable periods of time. If we consider even the most bullshitty of the bullshit boxes from Rossi, Defkalion et all, that is a tall order. Seems like the only device that might be able to do it is the Rossi blue box of doom. However, installing a giant cargo container full of plumbing supplies with a 500 kW genset attached might present a bit of a problem with respect to aerodynamics as well as passenger comfort. No wonder LENR Cars needs to raise some more cash. Solving these little problems costs money.