Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2019 edited

To probe your device for eavesdropping vulnerability, as described above, or to exploit some other vulnerability that might allow them to deploy malware on the phone, as described by Edward Snowdon, without leaving their real phone numbers behind ...
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2019

Except they are calling an old iron phone that doesn't, but could have a dial. Lucky me. I guess.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

Or, maybe one of the many people working in the call centre might have either deliberately or accidentally called your number and hung up before you answered, and the Receptionist doesn’t know that or have any way to find out who might have dialled your number.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: DuracellOr, maybe one of the many people working in the call centre might have either deliberately or accidentally called your number and hung up before you answered, and the Receptionist doesn’t know that or have any way to find out who might have dialled your number.

Except that this has been going on about four times a day for a week. Maybe someone at the Virgin Mobile call centre has taken a dislike to me. I can't imagine why...
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Posted By: AngusExcept that this has been going on about four times a day for a week. Maybe someone at the Virgin Mobile call centre has taken a dislike to me. I can't imagine why...

Perhaps someone took a dislike to the VM call centre, so used them as the originator. Perhaps YOU were part of a DOS - "let's generate irritated human traffic to this service".
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Well that certainly worked.
    • CommentAuthorloreman

Maybe they’re checking to see if you’re home.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

But why so frequently, given that I blocked the number days ago, so it only rings once and I never answer?
    •  
      CommentAuthoroak

Maybe somebody here is pissed off and is trying to annoy you. But who? Fess up, coward!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

The thought had crossed my mind...
    I used to get one of those calls .
    through the magic of call blocking the calls went away.
    After about 10 or 15 ring once end call events they stopped trying indicating to me that either a human was monitoring the calls -not likely or the soft ware was set up to maximise hits.
    There is one sure way to stop those kinds of calls and that requires some little work and ingenuity on the part of the victim. One must actually go through the automated phone tree and engage an actual human being, and then waste as much of that human's time as possible without actually giving them any information at all. After two or three such incidents, your number will make it onto the _internal_ DNC lists as a time-waster and the algorithm will no longer call it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

Posted By: Angus
    Posted By: DuracellOr, maybe one of the many people working in the call centre might have either deliberately or accidentally called your number and hung up before you answered, and the Receptionist doesn’t know that or have any way to find out who might have dialled your number.

Except that this has been going on about four times a day for a week. Maybe someone at the Virgin Mobile call centre has taken a dislike to me. I can't imagine why...
    No, you’re in BIG trouble. It’s the CIA, the Russians, the Chinese and the Israelis. In order to avoid getting in each other’s way they have scheduled separate attack windows for each of them, which is why you are getting hit 4 separate times each day. The malign forces that have aligned themselves against your startup have offered a very generous bounty on the dark net to whoever manages to steal your secret sauce first. Of course, in return for guaranteed permanent access to modest quantities of the golden elixir, I would be happy to get in their way, misdirect them and shield you from their nefarious cyberattacks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Aha! Now the scheme reveals itself. It is Duracelltron, impersonating the CIA, the Russians, the Chinese and the Israelis. Be warned, Duracelltron, you will never find my secret stash of Elixir!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

Curses! Foiled again! You win ... this time ...
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2019

Shirley, you've heard of Jolly Roger Telephone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2019

Ha! Brilliant. It was new to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2019

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2019

Research.
    They have bagged Bagly