Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Or we could accept that corruption is inevitable, the eventual end of all living or quasi-living systems. It's like a phase change, a consequence of forces beyond our control interacting with the predestination of our genes. Maybe the answer is to design systems that channel the inevitable corruption to the good of the many. It is a bullrushed acrid use that inhabits me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2020

Control is almost always an illusion / delusion ...
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2020 edited

Mandatory transparency does not eradicate corruption, but it makes corruption more expensive.
    That's the policy we should focus on.
    Make Corruption More Expensive.
    MCME!
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Our current western democracies are founded on the assumption that humans are well-intended socially aware citizens. And we were proven wrong so many times.

Maybe it is time to upgrade the system instead of exchanging people and parties over and over and watching them fail again and again.

I don't expect this to happen in my lifetime. Self-awareness is on a historical down-swing.

As a collective of egoists we can't survive. Because it is self-contradictory.
    Posted By: aber0derAs a collective of egoists we can't survive.

Right. We evolved to survive in the environment in which we evolved. The environment is very different today, and we are beginning, as a species, to feel the selective pressure. Do you have what it takes to avoid being naturally selected not to survive long enough to reproduce and have offspring which also survive?
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

We could invent some artificial rules that dampen our impulses and prevent unintended consequences. But, OTOH, freedom. Freedumb is the only resource/commodity bad/dark money does not attack. We know why.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin

In the primitive environment, the strongest and meanest individual decided the rules and enforced them with real force. A little later on it was discovered that a few weaker but like-minded and cooperating individuals could overwhelm the bully by acting in concert, so now _they_ got to make the rules, and they just hired the bully to enforce their new rules. As societies grew in sophistication and population, this basic idea was extended and (skipping a few chapters) wound up in the messes of parlimentary and representative democracies, which enforce their rules by mostly economic bullying, and the thugs had to become lawyers in order to survive in the manner to which they had become accustomed. A few despotic holdouts remained, due to the relatively recent penetration of UbiComm implants, but as the commnet develops these despots too will fade into the obscurity of universal economic slavery and become just another creditor to pay off on the installment plan.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

In a primitive environment, one could knock a tyrannical leader over the head with a big rock and enjoy the gratitude of the populace at large. Things get more complicated when said tyrant develops a following, sharing his ill-gotten booty with his supporters.

That's been true as long as humans have populated this sphere. Trump understands this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2020

The head of San Francisco Public Works, which is in charge of cleaning up the city’s feces-filled streets, has been arrested by the FBI on suspicion of public corruption.

R

No shit!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2020

No. Shit.

(The power of punctuation!)
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2020 edited

Been getting a few of these lately. I suspect attempted ransomware, but haven't bothered to verify. Always dealing with invoices or payments thereof.

Good morning,

Please see attached revised Invoice #452828, removing the Fourteen Day Notice Charge from both units. Sorry for the inconvenience.

For security reason the invoice is password protected: 258

Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Rhonda Carita
    PH: 888.559.2342 I 904.425.0101
    FAX: 904.268.2902 l 888.341.0176

www.inspectiondepot.com

Rhonda.Carita@inspectiondepot.com

This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please request a hard-copy version

Attached doc file. Nothing new--these have been around since at least 2017.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2020

I recently got an email from the CRA saying there was an important tax notice for me. Click here. So I didn't. Instead I logged directly into my CRA Tax account. And there was.

It's getting hazardous and confusing out there.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2020

Meanwhile back to scams and viruses- In a Sandboxie window, I clicked on the "document" image which is a link which turned out to be identified by Malwarebytes as a Trojan. Well, well... it will catch many unwary and poorly protected folks...

post images online
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2020 edited

Heck, I get fake invoices, shipping notifications, alerts for account suspension and other garbage every day. Most have virus-infected attachments. Since they don't affect (Linux) me, I can only conclude that Windows is an incredibly insecure operating system.

I'm probably a target because I've had the same email addresses for 25 years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2020

Two PayPal scams in the mailbox this morning. The vermin are getting all excited at the prospect of massive increases in home shopping.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2020

A group of 8 people in SoCal have been arrested for price gouging. IIRC, it's a misdemeanor in California but the penalty the news program cited was up to a year in jail and up to a $10,000 fine. The images showed masks, hand sanitizer and the like. IIRC they sold on eBay but I am not certain of that.
    The fucker at the corner store charged me a dollar more than usual for the gallon of milk.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2020

Posted By: maryyugoA group of 8 people in SoCal have been arrested for price gouging. IIRC, it's a misdemeanor in California but the penalty the news program cited was up to a year in jail and up to a $10,000 fine. The images showed masks, hand sanitizer and the like. IIRC they sold on eBay but I am not certain of that.

Just normal healthcare practice in the USA. Still makes a $3500 inhaler look expensive or, hell, have you tried being diabetic?!
    •  
      CommentAuthorGrowler
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2020 edited

Despicable fucks - it's started here in the UK already.....