Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorLakes
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2013

Posted By: legendre
    Posted By: LakesThe "energized" water goes down the sink a little bit quicker" :D

What about theempoweredvariety?
    Yes sirree, it`s electrolyzed and oxidized, sanitized and any other "ized" we can think of. :)
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2013 edited

What I could find about the "empowered water" carpet cleaners seems to indicate that the scheme is to produce sodium hydroxide electrolytically in their unit. Online reviews seem to indicate that the overall result is not terribly good. But, like Lipozene, they're apparently supported by relentless advertising.
    • CommentAuthortinker
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2013

Sodium Hydroxide on a woollen carpet...? I hope not.
    My carpet is getting The Vibes From Charlie
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2013 edited

Posted By: tinkerSodium Hydroxide on a woollen carpet...? I hope not.

You hope vainly. Pretty much sums it up.

I suspect that since the NaOH is being produced from NaCl, the result is pretty dilute. Heck, NaOH in dilute form is used in a lot of places you wouldn't suspect, such as processing green olives. I believe that it's also used in processing hominy.
    • CommentAuthorLakes
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2013 edited

I had to google what hominy was. :)
    • CommentAuthortinker
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2013

It definitely reads better than it tastes. Think Polenta without the excitement.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlegendre

Posted By: tinkerIt definitely reads better than it tastes. Think Polenta without the excitement.

Ha! No shit..

Grits are one of those foods I just don't 'get'. Sure, they make a great transport layer for butter and salt - but regular, unprocessed corn is actually even better at that. Ok yeah, so you found a neat way to render corn big, bland and unappealing.. but that doesn't mean you should actually do it.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

There are a lot of foods like grits. Escargot, for example, garlic-butter sauce has most of the flavor, the snails seem to be there primarily to add texture. Steamed artichokes is another.

But yeah--grits = excuse to eat lots of butter and salt.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThicket

Posted By: AsterixThere are a lot of foods like grits. Escargot, for example, garlic-butter sauce has most of the flavor, the snails seem to be there primarily to add texture. Steamed artichokes is another.

But yeah--grits = excuse to eat lots of butter and salt.

I had grits once. I was down in Looeasyanna and wanted to try something local. I had catfish with grits.

Like I said, I had grits once.
    I had them once too. I almost forgot. They are almost forgettable.

But I'll do snails/escargots/Schnecken/lumache any day. Love 'em
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2013 edited

And a properly done artichoke is anything but tasteless. They are easy to overcook, that is true. And you can get asparagus in a can, if you try hard enough.

ETA: When you are served a big ol plate of possum stew, poke salad and hominy grits.... eat it, or we jusn maout thank you is bein impolite...
    Gahh. If you cook anything long and hard enough, it becomes forgettable. At least until it grows green fuzz from being forgotten too long in the refrigerator.
    I like the fungus on my cheddar
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Posted By: alsetalokinAnd a properly done artichoke is anything but tasteless. They are easy to overcook, that is true. And you can get asparagus in a can, if you try hard enough.

And Prince Albert, as well.

Spent enough time eating 'chokes in Castroville. I sort of liked the deep-fried and pickled ones, but never cared for the fresh variety, even lightly steamed. The salt and butter served with them were better.
    Asparagus just right-ripe with hot melted butter sauce and fresh French bread with real butter - yum.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Hollandaise for me on them shoots.
    We have a strange snack in the house at the moment: freeze-dried whole okra.

Very lightly oiled and salted. They are amazingly light and crunchy and sweet and actually taste pretty good.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2013

One year I raised okra in the garden, I ended up giving it all away--I just couldn't get past the slime.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2013 edited

Posted By: AsterixOne year I raised okra in the garden, I ended up giving it all away--I just couldn't get past the slime.

Again, a matter of preparation. A good Cajun gumbo of okra, shrimp, rice, tomato, and all the rest..... oh Mama fill my bowl again, and no slime.
    Also, simply chopped into discs, lightly breaded and fried, you can get past the slime that way too.
    Some people enjoy the slime.... simply sautee lightly in butter or EVO, maybe with a little chopped onion, season with black pepper and serve next to a hunk of NY steak.... yum.

Naturally you can overcook Okra too. But these freezedried things: if you see them try them, they aren't bad and of course no slime. Inside they are perfect little dehydrated seedholder things and the seeds, hanging there in the formerly slimefilled space. They are like tiny spacecraft in fact.